Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2007, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B & B
Not Ranked     
Default Can you make a 350 HO Crate Motor better

Hi I have a Chevy 350 HO Deluxe crate motor. Has anyone found any success with adding on or swapping parts to gain more HP?

It has 330HP and 380 FP torque.

You can observe a lot from just watching.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     

I would pull it apart and make sure all the tolerances are correct.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If pulled it apart it would nover run right again. That's why I got a crate motor.

I man has got to know his limitations!!!!!

Old 07-21-2007, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, Pond Aluminum 482FE
Not Ranked     

Put a 400 crank in it.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

Hey jams,
It is a basic Vette engine with Vortec heads and the new powdered metal rods. An aftermarket or GM injection are a bolt on so lots of potential. Headers and an aluminum intake with a timing bump put you in the 375 HP range and still very streetable. The heads will accept 1.7 ratio rockers without a spring change and already has a lope to its idle.
I went with the lower HP engine but did a cam swap and added a turbo just to wake it up a Little.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the Post Vettestr

Old 07-22-2007, 07:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jams,
No problem at all, go to the GM performance crate engine site and compare the higher HP engines to yours. The components included are listed per line item so tells you what to change to get from here to there.
There are many ways to skin a cat but GM does have a history of being able to swap parts within the small or big block engine.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star 350/385 hp Chev "Fast Burn"
Not Ranked     

You can put the Crane "Gold" roller rocker kit in for another 15-20 HP
Old 09-01-2007, 09:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic 427, I purchased it May 2005, the kit was bought in 1991. I'm not sure when it was completed! Installed GMPP Connect & Cruise 376/525 with T-56 S/M 3.55 gears about 2 years ago! 1/4 miles is with old setup!
Not Ranked     

Not cheap, but I think a roller cam would be one of the best upgrades you could do. I think a good choice would be the Edelbrock Performer RPM roller or the GMPP LT-4 "HOT" cam. The Edel Performer RPM Air Gap intake is good for 10-15 hp over the GMPP unit. For the street I don't think I would go with a single plane intake. I think this would get you well over 400 hp. Your Vortec heads flow pretty good.

Taking a look at these may give you some ideas. If you don't want to spend the $$ for the roller cam ($800.00) you might want to try the flat tappet RPM cam.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...te_eng_cat.pdf
Old 09-02-2007, 07:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey All,
One point I did not stress as well as I should have was = purchase packages whenever possible. Unless you are a shop with tons of builds proving the mixed parts idea then let somebody else pay for dyno time. The addition of a roller cam is a needed step to enter the next HP level but this step is also available as a crate choice and at a much better bang for your buck. Purchase a MATCHED component list from a single source rather than piece parts from various sales or sources. Mega Dollars for research or matching the components (cam 2 heads 2 intake) is what manufacturers invest with the 100's of dyno runs and experience to build a better package and this makes single source purchasing or Package components a must for most people including me of course.
In the end a crate engine is probably available and with a full warranty to make it even a better deal. If you want even more HP then there are custom builders who can take you to next level but they are hard to find
and a great reputation is a must. A shop like K C here on the site has invested tons in his reputation and done all the dyno pulls to learn his craft. This is not Johnny at the corner Exxon station who put a water pump on your sisters Yugo.
I love a high winding small block and just the tone gives me a warm and fuzzy but also belong to the Size Does Matter club. Right now I have a small block in my driver but it ain't no big block and I miss that!!! Give me a big block any day, its like sex I guess, it is all good but some is better.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Since you already have that engine, buying another crate motor is probably not feasable. But that engine isn't designed to make real power. You'll have to make some significant changes to make significant power.

First thing to do is new heads. Those cast iron heads and low compression will never make good power numbers. bigger ports, bigger valves, and a matching intake and carb.

Second is the cam. pretty weak.

You'll probably be time and money ahead to sell the current motor at a loss, and buy what you really want.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic 427, I purchased it May 2005, the kit was bought in 1991. I'm not sure when it was completed! Installed GMPP Connect & Cruise 376/525 with T-56 S/M 3.55 gears about 2 years ago! 1/4 miles is with old setup!
Not Ranked     

I thought Jams was looking to step it up a notch, not go Pro Stock racing? Yes there are better base engines to start with but what he has is not a bad place to start with, IMHO! I think the internals are fine to 400-450 hp if the rpm is limited to 6000-6500. The Vortec heads are not going to win any dyno pull-offs but they can make a pretty strong street engine.

50-75+ hp gain and 1000 more usable rpm would be a big improvement. Going with a roller cam and staying with the Vortec heads would mean little or no low end torque loss. For about a $1,000.00 I think it would be a good upgrade and keep you interested for a year or two.

Al's 2 cents!