Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 11:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic roadster,408cu
Not Ranked     
Default vin # location ?

On my CR II I have never seen a vin , or id # stamped into the frame...should I put it on or wait to see what the CHP wants to do ? I do have a vin # assigned to it according to the MSO. It would be an easy job to stamp the # on the frame. WD
Old 03-03-2010, 02:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

CR has never installed a VIN. There is a production # stamped into the front frame horn but is not used as a VIN. Suggest you leave all numbers off as the State will assign you a VIN and will usually install a plate during the registration process.

60+ and still getting/taking English lessons! Semantics! Bah-Hum Bug! Now lets talk Xerox! Noun, Adjective, Verb, all the above?

Last edited by Double Venom; 03-03-2010 at 07:46 AM..
Old 03-03-2010, 02:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Ed is completely right.No matter if the car did have a vin number, when you get your SB-100 number the CHP will assign a new one. They did use the state assigned VIN on my Coupe which was assigned by another state, but that is unusual.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 03-03-2010, 05:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

It's not VIN number it's VIN (Vehicle Identification Number). And while I'm at it, it's not ATM machine, it's ATM (Automated Teller Machine). Also, stop saying PIN number, it's PIN. God, am I getting anal in my old age.

Bob
Old 03-03-2010, 05:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Mine has the ID number stamped on the upper frame tube above the passenger front wheel. DMV use it as the VIN. Of course that was in the early 90's though.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob,
I have corrected my posts as you are absolutely ana#### correct!

Last edited by Double Venom; 03-03-2010 at 07:48 AM..
Old 03-03-2010, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic roadster,408cu
Not Ranked     

Ok then I will leave it to them ...thanks all
Hopefully i can get my POV REG PDQ in CA without much FUBAR, TTFN...WD
Old 03-03-2010, 08:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Bob in CT: Good Morning, hang in there, Spring is coming to New England, the NASCAR Modified tire test is still scheduled @ Lime Rock on May 11th @ 1:00, free viewing.

Regarding VIN, was of the opinion that VIN would be verified by the Inspector as to matching the paperwork. At least, that is my experience in CT, which is also used by the DMV to verify on the national data base that the vehicle has not been reported as stolen.

DV, on my CR I, I am the 2nd owner, there is a Classic Roadsters @ Fargo ND decal with a Serial #, applied to the hood latch housing mounted on the firewall.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 351 Windsor 405 HP
Not Ranked     

My CR has a number stamped into the frame on the drivers side at the front of the frame.
Of course once the body was put on, it is not visiable
Old 03-03-2010, 09:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Art,
That is the production number used by CR's.

Don, that would be your original VIN from CR's, Unfortunately no States that I am aware of accept a "Stick on Decal as valid!" Your State may allow you to use that number for a VIN but they will make a plate to be permanently attached.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

DV, the CR I was originally registered in Wisconsin which accepted the CR I decal VIN. Wisconsin then issued another VIN, which was also a decal. Might be since it was a kit car, not a production vehicle, the decal VIN was acceptable.

In CT, kit cars are referred to as Composites, and the DMV accepted the Wisconsin decal VIN. The CR I was then issued a CT VIN ( CT XXXXX ) by the DMV, required for Composites, which is a metal plate glued to the driver's side door jam by the hinge.

The CT DMV Anti-Theft Unit, same dept which did the VIN inquiry to determine if the vehicle was reported as stolen, applies the CT VIN tag themselves, cannot be handed to the owner. The reason I mentioned, they took the utmost care in positioning the VIN for appearance purposes. After the formalities, had a great discussion with the Sgt, he was building a rod. Nice to work with someone that understood our hobby.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

My stick on label with the CR VIN was replaced with a permanent tag attached by the CHP on the inside of the driverside door jam. Riveted with a seal stamped across the tag and fiberglass. New VIN number as well...gottcha Bob.

John