Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 09:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic roadster,408cu
Not Ranked     
Default looking over windshield ...

How many out there look out the upper part of the windscreen ? it feels like if I tilted my head I could look over it .Will the air go over me at speed ? or should I lower seat more ?
Old 04-12-2010, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Get a 1" piece of box tubing at Home Depot and mount it under your front dirvers seat. This will recline your seat a bit and in most cases it will provide you with a better view through the windshield.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 04-12-2010, 10:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

wetdog, I am 6'2...on my CR I put seats in with no sliders, and cut out the bottom of the seat area to lower it 1.5" slanted to the back. This involves cutting out then rewelding the middle bracket under the seat and making a "pan" to fit in the recessed area. I think Petek did this too. He is bigger than me.

After this I was looking out exactly between top of steering wheel and top of windshield.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

jdean, Iam 6-4 and already lifted the seat to tilt to rear , I thought about installing with no sliders because they are worthless anyway...but the pan had a depression in it and i have the metal floorpans . Maybe some small spacers just enough to clear the pan??
Old 04-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What you do is cut out the fiberglass floor under the seat around the circumference or where is curves around the tunnel, back and sides, keep it in one piece. If I recall you dont need to cut the front....it may bend enough to let the back of it slope down.

Then cut the brace under the seat, lower it 1-2" and then put extenders on it to hold it while making sure the angle is so that it is flat against the cut out fiberglass that will now drop 1-2" lower. Then you can re-glass in the fiberglass panel, or do like I did and replace it on the sides (the pie slice gaps) with aluminum bonded to the lower cockpit where it was cut out.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 427 Stroked Windsor TKO 600 w/3.50 posi 9"
Not Ranked     

I am 6'2" and have to slouch down to look through the windshield. I have the windshield at less of an angle than most which helps but does not look as good. I tried everything with the seat and it was not worth the sacrifice. I feel like I am laying down as it is with the seat tilted.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I am 6'4", and I DO slouch looking thru the windshield. After all the miles I have driven, I dont know if I could sit up straight and drive this little car!

We don't want a bigger government; We want a government that does a few BIG things, and does them right.

If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, they'll only give you one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playin, if you lose you got to pay. And if you make just ONE wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY!
Old 04-12-2010, 04:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I did see that I have about 2in. behind the seat where the fibreglass slopes down to the floor , if I cut out pie slices from sides it will meet at the bottom ..then glass the corners. For those of you that do look over , is it doable or really uncomfortable?
Old 04-12-2010, 08:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

WD,
search Cpteddies build post and I think my gallery. I did this to Ed's car. Don't cut the "pies" out, instead cut all along the top front edge of the rear deck (behind the seats) then cut downward. This will show you exactly how big of wings or pieces of pie you will need to cut out to work.

When cut to fit a few pieces of fiberglass cloth is all that is needed to put it together again. - Questions?

By the way a good way to get two more inches out of the floor, with comfy rating of at least an 8!

DV
Old 04-12-2010, 08:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

After I did this, and with the Sube Cobra seats...it was a very comfortable ride...could cruise all day and not mind it at all.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

When I built my car I had bought the body, trim parts, and seats from a kit supplier. I am 6'2", even with a 4 inch dropped floor in my chassis I was looking at the top of the windshield frame. The "Cobra" seat was about 3-4 inches thick and was not comfortable. I tossed them out, made a mold of my backside, formed my own fiberglass seats, had them covered and bolted them in. Now, my head is well below the windshield and the seat is extremely comfortable. It has to be, because I drive my car(s) alot.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 739
Not Ranked     

FWIW, I am also about 6'2" and I got tired of crouching down in my seat. Here is what I did...

1) I bought a ken miles type vintage racing seat and it sits on the floor with a slight tilt in front.
2) After a while, that was still not right...
3) Now I run a simply racing windshield (see gallery) and I love it but...

4) It sucks when I have a passenger so I am going to look after this summer to maybe look for a racing windscreen that goes across the mrs side of the car as well.

Kramer
Old 04-13-2010, 06:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster II
Not Ranked     

I'm 6'5" and have dropped the floor pans in my car 3" to accomodate my height and get me looking through the center of the windshield.

http://picasaweb.google.com/levingsk...51848360410514

I also have the drivers seat on a slider so it can be adjustable. I mounted the passenger side fixed, all the way back. Proportionately, I think that it makes for a good look since I'm in the car and not sticking out over the car.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

All great ideas all I need is about 2 or three in.of down and maybe a little tilt back ,I have never ben at highway speeds yet but the dmv gave me my temp permit and my alignment is first thing thurs morn ..after that first highway run ?? WD