Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 06-03-2010, 08:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     
Default Qa1 MS3500 Coil over conversion question--Spring Rate

I have a Classic Roadster Cobra with a 460, cast Iron heads and a Richmond 5 speed. I recent bought a QA1 coil over conversion kit (ms3500). I had an issue with the short rods on the shocks, but fixed that by installing 2 inch extenders. The shocks now are close to the same travel and length of the stock shock. The springs I installed are 500 pound springs. I installed the spring on one side only. The car is resting on jack stands on the other. The suspension moved rather free with no spring installed so everything looks good. With the spring in, when I put a floor jack under the lower arm near the ball joint, the suspension only deflects about an inch when I pick up the one side. The springs are sitting on the spanner nut about .75 inches from the first thread. I can’t wind it down any farther because the locking nut hits the lip of the raised flange on the lower are that was originally used to located the factory coil spring. I took it all back apart and am going to remove some of that flange so that I can back the nut and spring rate off a little. Do these springs relax a little over time? Do they behave differently dynamically when driving , or do you think I have too heavy of a spring? Any help would be appreciated.. Thanks
Old 06-03-2010, 09:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Searching your QA model number. Those are for lowered chassis, is that what you wanted?

The spring rate is, 1350-1525 lb. you may want to try 1150-1350 lb. springs.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No It is not lowered. Where did you see that they were for lowered chassis?
Thanks
Old 06-03-2010, 09:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That is what I am reading on a Jeg's page. Not sure the model number is exact, Go to the bottom, the last sentence is lower paragraph. Sounds like you also have factory lower arms, yes?

http://www.jegs.com/i/QA1/122/MS3500/10002/-1

What is the shock length?

QA1 shows a 1/2" longer non adjustable shock.
http://qa1.thomasnet.com/viewitems/s...s?&plpver=1001

Last edited by Ralphy; 06-03-2010 at 09:56 PM..
Old 06-03-2010, 10:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm trying to find oem length, this pic sure makes the QA1 units look shorter.

http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/.../photo_09.html
Old 06-04-2010, 06:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, FRP460 Big Block
Not Ranked     

I think 500# springs are too hard. I put the 10" 225/475 progressives on my big block and they work great. You'll need spacers...

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'94 35th Anniversary Rover Mini Cooper 32mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 06-04-2010, 08:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shellvalley 428 ford
Not Ranked     

I don't see anywhere these are for lowered cars. The fixed, non-adjustable are for stock to 2 inch lower and the ones you have are for all heights. Check out the link below. I have 500 lb springs on mny Shell Valley per Dana's recommendation. I would give him a call. He is great and smart guy.

http://qa1.thomasnet.com/item/rsport...=prod&filter=0
Old 06-04-2010, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

byron,

As I said on Jegs page it states,"ride sensitive shock and is designed for cars lowered 2 inches or less. Then the fact HP had to make shock extensions would leave me to believe this setup would be designed for lowering.

It does not say 2 inches to 0 inches, it says 2 inches or less. What is less? I can also say my EM has had the oem coils cut and I still want to go lower. That is why I am interested in this thread.

Last edited by Ralphy; 06-04-2010 at 08:44 AM..
Old 06-04-2010, 08:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey byron now I am confused why HPCOBRA had to add extensions to the shock ends. It appears the QA1's are oem length. So you are right, the should be fine at zero ride height change.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...id73QUC6I#desc

HP, how is your car sitting now? Is the ride height the same or not?

Last edited by Ralphy; 06-04-2010 at 09:08 AM..
Old 06-04-2010, 09:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ralphy, Again, I defer to Dana at Shell Valley. However, that being said, many years ago before the tubular control arms, I was told by Shell Valley and North American Fiberglass to use Mustang II V-6 front springs and cut at least one coil off for a big block Cobra. Now on my NAF car with a 351 C, I have Aldan's with 9 inch 400 pound springs and I am going to remove a coil as it is still too high. The ride is not all too harsh just too high.
I swear that your post stated that the shocks HPCOBRA had wer for lowered cars. Regardless, they should be fine as should yours.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Searching your QA model number. Those are for lowered chassis, is that what you wanted?

The spring rate is, 1350-1525 lb. you may want to try 1150-1350 lb. springs.

Byron
Old 06-04-2010, 10:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for all of the info. Just to restate what i have found out is tha tthe CR Cobra does not use standard Mustang II shocks, They use a Monroe number 5815. The shock travel is close to that of the Mustang II but the rod length is shorter by about two inches. I am using standard lower arms with new tubular uppers. When I bolted it up, I was working on one side only. When I finished up this side, it was late last night and that was when I noticed with a floor jack under the lower arm that the spring did not compress much when i picked it off the jack stand. I was very discouraged and posted my questions. Since then I spoke with QA1 and they told me what i did was a common error. When i supported it with the jack under the shock, the spring will behave differently when it is supported by the tire which will be another 10-12 inches from the shock. They feel the springs will behave and compress well once sitting on the tires. I hope so. I did notice that I could looses another .38 of an inch compression on the shock spanner nut if I grind down the stamp raised feature on the lower arm that was originally used to locate the factory spring. right now the flange is very close to hitting the spanner lock nut. Right now I honestly do not know what my car weighs and this would have been a good pice of information before ordering the springs. My current QA1 one springs are 500/in. The next spring down is 375. My oil pan and transmission are very close to the ground with standard old style Mustang II factory springs. My goal was to raise the front about an inchor two and still have useable suspension..
Old 06-04-2010, 10:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

byron, right now I am all oem MII. Looking to go with all Heidt and QA1. Just trying to figure out why HP needed shock extensions and looking for answers. It sounds to me now that his front end is sitting high.

HP, as far as what I have read springs do give a little over time. No matter which way you go, I would make it so the spanner nut travels full length.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My kit is vintage 1996. The crosmember has shock tower extensions welded in. They look like hat sections and are raised vertically about 2.5 inches. Unless QA1 has shorter springs, I could not bolt up the shock because the preload was too high even with the spanner nut and lock lock down as far as possible.Maybe there are different length uncompressed springs that I am not aware of. If you put the QA1 shock fully extended next to the recommended CR Monroe shock, the QA1 was 2.00 inches shorter from the bottom attachment to the shock rod where the washer sits for the rubber bushing.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ralphy and HPCOBRA, I would love to see pictures of what you are talking about, shock tower extensions. If you want, send picks to cobrafe@sbcglobal.net.

Thanks and good luck !!!!!!!!!

Byron
Old 06-04-2010, 12:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Byron,
It's nothing more than a 2" square shaped "U", turned upside down on the tower. Both ends of the upside down"U" are welded onto the tower, the tower or "U" on the top of the "U" is drilled for the shock stud.

I can't help but think something is going on here that isn't quite right. I have installed dozens of the QA-1 combos with out any problems.... whether I use the stock OEM MII arms or go with a full HEIDTS system?

????
1996 "Vintage" is the same as 1988-2007, at least as far as the frame/suspension goes!

Last edited by Double Venom; 06-04-2010 at 12:29 PM..
Old 06-04-2010, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Ed,
I have read many of your post's with great interest and appreciation for what you have done and still do.
I think I have it figured out. With the stock MII crossmember the upper shock mount is straight across and drilled for the stud . The extension allows for a longer shock. I have Speedway upper and lower arms on my Shell valley car and the QA 1's fit just fine.
Take care,
Byron
Old 06-04-2010, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Obviously something is different. Perhaps QA1 has changed their springs and made them longer. I was a little unhappy when I saw the word China stamped on the spring. Does anybody know what the free length of the springs were in previous QA1 500 pound spring kits? This might be my problem. The free length would be helpful--perhaps they sent me the wrong springs. The box had no numbers on it... Thanks
Old 06-04-2010, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

HPCOBRA, mine are 8 1/4 inch free length. What are yours?

Byron W.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

HP, I have also read here that some believe the quality of the QA1 springs are not up to par. Complaints of springs not being very accurate as to the spring ratings.

Byron, I have no shock tower extensions.

Sure would like to see a list of other manufactures.

Last edited by Ralphy; 06-04-2010 at 09:54 PM..
Old 06-05-2010, 05:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ralphy,

I have the Carrera springs from Speedway Automotive. However, QA 1 now owns Carrera. But, I have never heard any complaints about QA 1. I havew heard complaints about Aldan but I have those on another cobra and they have been just fine also.

Let me know if the photos I sent you helped.

Later, Byron