Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2010, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     
Default Correct Master Cylinder

Hello to all and thank you for all of your previous info. Especially to all the feedback from DV. I have asked several questions about brakes, but I believe I have not been clear enough on my dilemma. My car has a standard transmission with the standard CR pedal setup offered in about 1993. From the center of the brake pedal output shaft to the edge of the hydraulic clutch pedal master cylinder is about 3.12 inches. In other words I only have about a 6.25 diameter area for a booster to fit for power brakes. My calipers at the wheels are GM disc brakes that fit a 1988 corvette. I was told by the supplier of the brakes that the calipers need about 1000 PSI at the wheels. Does anybody have this same setup and what did you use for a master cylinder and booster? I would go with non power brakes if there was a MC that could give the correct PSI without using two feet to stop! Any info or pics would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Old 06-26-2010, 05:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

According to the manual, you can use the complete power brake setup from a 1975-1978 302 v8 mustang II. It also says to use a 9" booster.

I have the stock 9" booster on mine with Wilwood disks front and rear with Wilwood master P/N 260-8556.

Mine will stop on a dime and give you 9 cents change.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I know the manual calls for that, but my master cylinder to my clutch is only 3 1/8 off the center line of the where the brake master cylinder sits. I only have an area that would accept a 6.00 dia booster. If I had an automatic with no clutch, the area would acept about anything.. I could fabricate a bracket to extend the booster mount beyond the area taken up by the clutch master Cyl. This would allow me to uses a bigger booster, but my brake rod would have to quite long to go from the pedal to the booster. It would be exposed and unsupported. This just feels unconfortable..
Old 06-26-2010, 07:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

I see what you mean. Mine is 5" horizontal and 4" vertical from the center lines(cable set up).

I know that they make a 7" booster but that will not help you either. Sounds like you need to call someone like Wilwood (or whomever) and get some info from them.

Sorry that I could not help.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

HP,
You could forget the booster and change your pedal ratio to 6 to 1 and live without power brakes. That's what I did at minimal cost and brakes work fine. I had to modify my pedal and changed to a different pivot hole in the pedal box (hole was already there) and I made the push rod adjustable for the perfect pedal hieght. Check my gallery for some pictures of the mods.

John
Old 06-27-2010, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

John,
Why did you do away with the Booster? Inquiring mind- would like to know?
DV
Old 06-27-2010, 08:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DV,
I didn't explain myself well enough, sorry. I had no booster but did have the 3.5/1 pedal ratio. I'm the 3rd owner of my car and there was never a booster installed. But the brake pedal ratio was designed for the booster as it was and I changed the ratio to 6/1 instead of adding the booster. Brakes work well but I doub't I could give you change from stopping on a dime like Terry can.

John
Old 06-28-2010, 07:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Ahh-so!
The brakes had to be horendous before your mods!