Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 03:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters with an LT1
Not Ranked     
Default Windshield Mounting

Hello,

I have taken my windshield off of my car in an attempt to ensure it is installed properly and need some help to make sure I get this redone correctly.

Background:

The windshield was placed noticeably closer to one windshield wiper drive than the other which prompted my investigation as I am redoing the windshield wipers. When I measured the placement of the the windshield wiper drive holes from the hood edge they are even. When I measured the windshield to the door openings there were some noticeable differences which prompted me to conclude the windshield was not positioned correctly. When I looked at the mounting location I noticed it was not up against the "square shafts welded onto the cowl bar" as is stated in the CR assembly instructions.

This may seem simple to fix by simply relocating the windshield frame mount to rest against the square shafts but what I don't know is the proper depth because the bottom of my windshield mounts have been cut. I will be installing a soft top later and want to make sure the windshield placement is correct not to mention looks right.

So my question is if I place the windshield mounts against the square shafts welded onto the cowl how high should the windshield protruded out from the body? I don't know if cutting the windshield mounts is normal as it doesn't state anything in the instructions? 99% of the work done on my car has been astoundingly bad and I am redoing it all so any help would be great.

I will attache a picture or two and I appreciate any help I can get.

Kind regards,
Chris

Last edited by Reddy2Race; 11-28-2010 at 03:58 PM..
Old 11-28-2010, 03:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Close up of the cut windshield mount!

Old 11-28-2010, 05:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chris -

My manual states - "the bottom of the side arms rest approximately 1/8" above the horizontal flange on the cowl bar".

This assumes that the side arms were cut to the proper length in the first place.

Jeff
Old 11-28-2010, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

If you don't have a proper answer by tomorrow I'll jump in. It is in the book-if you are not missing any pages?

What you are talking about doing......IS ALL wrong!

I can't make out the attached photo by REDDY...........sure would like a better description or a little clearer picture.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

You can check your depth on the other side and make them even. It is common practice to cut the bottom of the posts off after install so they're not poking down into your shins if ever you get rattled around in your cage.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ON a CR's it is IMPOSSIBLE to cut the arms off in the car OR even mount the windshield arms if not pre cut to fit.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

I think Reddy 2 Race is talking about the window measurement from front to back not the depth. I know that my wiper holes are even and the windshield has over a 1/4" taper when measuring inline with the wiper holes. This is all measuring from the opening of the hood. This is the way it was originally because the rubber weather strip has a relief cut in it as not to interfere with the wiper.

My guess is it has something to do with the placement of the cowl bar.

DV can correct me if I am mistaken.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the input so far. I will try to clarify a few things so hopefully I can figure out what correct is?

- My manual makes no reference to cutting the side windshield mounting brackets even though they have been cut. It states the following:

" Use the procedures outlined below to trial fit the windshield:

1) Install the windshield through the mounting holes with the trim rings in place. Tilt the windshield so that the side arms rest flush against the square shaft welded onto the cowl bar and clamp the windshield in place. Adjust the openings in the body for the windshield side arms if necessary. There should be an 1/8" of clearance around the side arms.

2) At the two mounting holes in the cowl bar drill two 3/8" holes in each leg of the windshield frame. Secure the windshield in place with four 3/8" x 1-1/4" bolts, flat washer, lock washer and nut. Remove the windshield for later installation after painting."

In the added pictures I will attach I tried to show that when my windshield frame was originally mounted it was not located against the "square stock welded onto the cowl bar" which would set the angle. Mine are at different angles on each side.

This led me to the question of how far up and down should the windshield mount be? Obviously you can not go to low because the windshield would not mount and if you went two high the rubber seal would not contact the body. I would just like to know if there is an ideal?

My assumption is that the windshield should be an equal distance left to right from the passenger compartment and the engine compartment. Mine was not setup this way which is what started me down this path. This was obvious when you would look at how close the windshield wiper drive holes were from the windshield. I am sorry I didn't take a picture of this prior to disassembly. I have confirmed that the two windshield wiper drive holes are equal distance from the passenger compartment and the engine compartment so that means the windshield was not placed properly. This is further confirmed by the fact that when I measured the windshield frame to various reference points from the left to the right side of the car I would get different measurements.

My goals:

1) Get the windshield mounted so that it is equal distance left side to right side from the engine compartment, passenger compartment, and windshield wiper drive holes. These are all things I can measure and make the necessary compensation for.

2) Place the windshield at the proper angle and height so that in the future when I mount the soft top it goes as easily as possible. I am going to assume the angle is set by the square stock welded to the cowl. What I need to know is approximately how high should the windshield sit above the body as it can slide up and down along the square stock?

I don't think the windshield mounting brackets were cut at the factory as the cuts are very poor consistant with the other workmanship on the car. The ideal would be to have them rest on the bent flange the comes out of the cowl similar to the square stock. My problem is that I don't know if they were cut properly and based off my experience with having to redo and fix almost everything on the car I don't trust the cuts. The ideal would be to have some measurement that the windshield should sit above the body so I could just place shims down prior to setting the windshield in place. Then slide the frame against the square stock and drill new holes.

Anyway thanks again for all the help.

Kind regards,
Chris

Last edited by Reddy2Race; 11-28-2010 at 10:11 PM..
Old 11-29-2010, 04:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chris,
Both mountings are by the book and look fine! The LEFT arm IS a fraction to long though.
The arm should NOT be touching the flat section of the mounting plate. (Sets up 'rithemic' Vibration" that can crack the windshield.

Angle: The windshield is mounted correctly (as designed over the OEM Cobras). It is built this way to allow the wind to slide off the windshield to the side. IF it is square to the body it stands a 99% chance of oscillating at speeds over 60 mph.

If you ever find a CR's Brochure you can see the windshield in the photo is mounted at an angel, being closer to one wiper arm post than the other!*

Now the windshield arms are NOT meant to be bent to fit the cowl bar! IF the posts are an 1/8th" inch or more away from the cowl, you MUST use shims to take up the gap. Do NOT pull the arms in tight to the bar, your windshield WILL eventually crack if you/someone has.

The thing you have to remember these are not OEM, 75 ton Pressed/stamped parts! It is a mould of fiberglass and the body is NOT symmetrical!

You can go through a lot of work and trouble mounting the Windshield perfectly square, BUT it is NOT made this way!

One last thing, not being positive in your pictures, the fiberglass holes in the body MUST NOT touch any portion of the fiberglass! An 1/8th" is a minimum clearance. The arms will cause the fiberglass to crack if they are in touch over time!

* You CAN grind out the windshield wiper mounting holes so both wipers are set the same distance from the windshield but care and measuring is absolute! If you go to far the transmissions of the wiper arms will contact the cowl bar making a horrible noise and making it almost if not an absolute impossible to re-mount the 'transmissions'. I have found if you want to make these equal, grind one hole a little back one forward until they match. Then refill each hole with a fiberglass body filler.

Last edited by Double Venom; 11-29-2010 at 04:40 AM..