Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     
Default Rear view mirror placement

I am redoing an earlier build and about ready to put the dash back in. I am trying to decided if I should install a dash mounted RV mirror or a winshield mounted one. Give me your thoughts. If I am going to mount it to the dash, should I try to bond in a metal plate so tha the mirror has something to bolt thru to? If so how successful has others been installing this plate to the underside of the body when the body is already on the car. There is a small gap between the body and the cowl that holds the defroster duct. Thanks
Old 12-12-2010, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique&Collectible 392 stroked
Not Ranked     

I just used a couple of fender washers. seems to be working fine
Old 12-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

I do not know about yours but mine does not have enough room to get my fingers between the cowl bar and the underside of where the dash mounted mirror mounts. I guess you could always install nutserts and maybe even put a little epoxy on them to be sure they hold in.

I know that mine vibrates so much that I cant see out of them but you have to have them anyway.

I like the placement of the dash mounted compared to the windshield mounted.

Last edited by tcrist; 12-19-2010 at 08:19 PM..
Old 12-12-2010, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

This is supposed to be a picture of my top of the windshield mounted standard rear view mirror:

You will have to go to my photo albums to see the larger convex RV mirror. It goes on and off in 2 seconds. The larger mirror really improves the field of vision. I'm not comfortable with the standard RV mirror. I know the larger convex is blasphemy, but I'll take it off when I'm trying to look authentic and leave it on when I'm driving.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My Cr came with the windshield mounted mirror. I hated it as it blocked my view over thr right hand fender and it looked very un-authentic. It also vibrated and all images were a blur at speed. One day while getting out of the car my young daughter accidentily bumped the windshield mirror and it popped right off the glass. She was petrified at what I was going to say but I told her thanks...I was wondering how I was going to get that thing off. We had a good laugh at that. I pre drilled some holes in the dash for the finishline dash mount mirror and used the course threaded screws that came with the mirror, and the mirror has held strong for a few years now. It still vibrates at speed and the veiw out the back is ok but not exceptional. Looks much better and does not block my veiw out the front. That would be my vote. One other thing worth mentioning is location...I believe to be correct the mirror base mounts just right of center. You might want to research that if it matters to you. Of course I learned that after I mounted mine in the perfect center line. I don't think anyone has noticed.

John
Old 12-13-2010, 03:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2984 MK111, Roush 511 IR FE 8 Stack, Dynoed: [flywheel] 572HP at 6000 , 556# Torque at 4700, Bowler 4R70W Auto Transmision. Tires: Mickey T's S/R 26.0x10.0x15.0 F ,26.0x12.0x15.0 R Color, Bleck, because they told me it was Bleck, at the factory.
Not Ranked     
Default Is there a fix?

Hi John, so both locations vibrate, but the dash mounted location is the lesser of the evils, correct? So has anyone found a way or a mounting bracket that does not vibrate the mirror, or is it an impossible task given the vibration of the car?

I guess I will find out when I get my ride. .

Cheers, John , AKA,tin-man
Old 12-13-2010, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 302, roller cam, Holley 650
Not Ranked     

John, My mirror does not vibrate (dash mounted) as long as I don't move the car or have the engine running.

Jim
Old 12-13-2010, 11:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Jim.....
Right on! MaSnaka is also right, course threaded fiberglass screws, 1/2 back from the front cowl edge, just a smidgeon to the right of center. Base bolts, washers, metal below are NOT needed. A little Locktite on the screws will hold them for plus 22 years-(So far

The windshield mounted ones DO work better for viewing but in this old frts opinion look terrible. But if you go with the windshield mirror, check the glue that comes with the mirror and make sure it is NOT more than 9 months old! If you can't find the date on the tube or read the code on the tube stop at an auto windshield shop and buy a fresh tube of glue. Follow the directions exactly! Temperature, Humidity, and most important how to clean prior to gluing! Windex aint gonna get it done!

And then it / they will both vibrate once you turn the key on! Surprising how quick you will get used to seeing more than three cars behind you when there is only one!

P.S. IF, your cowl bar is showing or their is a gap in this area the body is NOT down far enough!

Last edited by Double Venom; 12-13-2010 at 11:44 AM..
Old 12-13-2010, 10:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tin-Man and HPCobra,

Jim nailed it. No vibration until you start your engine. You got the engine, stiff suspension and the wind. Go figure.

John
Old 12-14-2010, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #298 427 FI
Not Ranked     

the first rule of driving a cobra "whats behind you is not important"
Old 12-14-2010, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpanten View Post
the first rule of driving a cobra "whats behind you is not important"
Unless it's your mother or the Highway Patrol.

John
Old 12-14-2010, 07:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: contemporary(2) one with 427 sohc and one with 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

Dash mounted-mirror-no vibration. I drive a Contemporary car that has rubber motor mounts rubber mounted rack and pinion and 26# tire air pressure also has a steering vibration isolator This car runs smooth.I installed aftermarket billit solid rack mounts and the vibration trasmitted to the steering wheel and dash was terrible. swapped back to rubber mounts and car is a plesasure to drive.