Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2001, 09:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     
Default Suspension questions

One of the concerns I had when installing this coil-over front suspension was the lower shock mount. It's a nylon or urethane bushing with a steel sleeve. A 7/16", Grade 8 bolt goes through it from the lower control arm. There is no provision for lubricating/greasing this joint. The arm is from RCC. The Carerra coil-over is from Carerra.

Standard fare for a shock bushing that only has to resist the suspension oscillations. But now it, along with the lower ball joint, is supporting the weight of the front of the car as well, 600 or so pounds per side. The car has a little over 100 miles on it. I haven't taken them apart yet for a closer look but they don't look like they're doing too well.

What has been your experience with coil-over lower joints as load bearing joints on street driven cars? Is there a better/right way to do this? Coil overs seem a little too popular to have frequent bushing replacement as a common problem.

On a more positive note, I've had this thing out on the highway, and back and forth to work a couple of times. Am amazed and pleased at how well this thing runs and handles. And it's comfortable too. These CR seats are really well done. It's a new car and a fresh engine, so I'm not testing its limits yet. Haven't broken these 17" tires loose yet in acceleration, braking, or cornering. Corners like it's on rails.

Other than possibly a Lambroghini Countach, this has got to be the most Gawked at car in the world. I was unprepared for this. Co-workers refused to believe I'd built this car. It does look like a factory built car. Everybody wants to see the engine, listen to it idle, and a few dare a ride. The "Car guys" know exactly what it is and are most complementary on my efforts. But the non car guys are another matter. ("What year is this?" "A '66." "Geez, I wasn't even born in '66.")

Ok you old pros, help me out with snappy comebacks to the idiotic questions I get.

"Isn't this a Corvette? Why does it say Ford on it?"

"Is it real?" (Those of you with bustier spouses may have borrowed some unique/original responses to "Are they real?")

Speaking of spouses, mine has been most helpful in this project. She assisted in installing the engine & trans, seats, a lot of the testing, and installed the carpet & padding herself.
Old 09-10-2001, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owner, Classic Roadsters II
Not Ranked     

Jack21, I've been using the Carrera setup for about 8 years and haven't noticed any problems at all. The shocks have a heim or rod end on the lower side with a steel rod which the bolt passes through. I haven't given much thought to the support that this setup must provide but I haven't had a failure to date. I know this is the same system just about all the street rods and kits use. What type of wear are you seeing?
I'm glad you are happy with the CR car. They tend to receive bad press so often I think people overlook the quality of the car. Every one I build amazes me with the ride and handling quality. They are a very solid and smooth car. If built correct they don't have any rattles or squeaks, the quality of the interior is excellent. That's why I keep building them.
Old 09-10-2001, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Don,
I think I will just sign a "Power of Attorney" for you and you can sign my name to your posts.

Jack,
Don says it all. I use the same set up in my streetrods, ie; '40 Willy's with blown BB's and have never had a complaint. Does this make it right? Heck no, but it's a question that has never come up. I hope your happy! I'm going to be tossing and turning all night trying to think of every car I have installed this system in and if they might be having a problem, or if a problem is going to develope!

You know, this really is a good question. I think I'm going to be calling in some of my older cars in the area. I know I have at least two that were built in '91. That should give us a good idea on wear and tear.

Fact is the DV uses a modified but for all intents and purposes the same set up. After pulling the wheels more times than I can remember, a check there is certainly in order!

Now for the gawkers and onlookers:

Give the car a little love tap or two, then reply, "Yup, it's real!"

Older than I am! ?? "Look at all the fun you missed!"

Wait until you run across two or three young Miss' that pull up next to you, with your wife in the car! These young lady's then ask you to go to a party with them..you tell them, the pretty lady next to you is your wife, and they respond... NO PROBLEM, take her home, we'll wait! (true story!)

DV