Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 03-22-2011, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default neutral safety switch

Need help with neutral safety switch and reverse light switch. I have female pigtail supplied with T5 transmission but can't find male end. Same for reverse light switch. Two brass prongs on T5, but no female plug. Do I really need both?
Old 03-22-2011, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi,
I sell a new reverse lite switch & weatherpack connector for the T-5 or TKO transmissions.
The neutral switch is not a neutral safety switch. That switch is for the computer to tell it the transmission is in neutral.
Note: A neutral safety switch is used on an automatic transmission. On a stick car it would/could use a clutch safety actuated on the clutch pedal.
fortesparts.com
508 875 0016
In 1993 Mike made the first conversion of a Ford Tremec to GM 5-speed. It bolts to stock bellhousings w/out an adapter. The FE Tremec, the Mustang adjustable quadrant are originals from Mike.
One of 12 Tremec Elite Distributors worldwide for: T-5, T-56 Magnum & TKO-500 & TKO-600 ,Midshifter, Frt shifter, offset Vette shifter.
Est: 1981 selling performance parts to build your dream car...
Old 03-23-2011, 04:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Mike,
I'll give you a call.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeforte View Post
Hi,
I sell a new reverse lite switch & weatherpack connector for the T-5 or TKO transmissions.
The neutral switch is not a neutral safety switch. That switch is for the computer to tell it the transmission is in neutral.
Note: A neutral safety switch is used on an automatic transmission. On a stick car it would/could use a clutch safety actuated on the clutch pedal.
Does it have to go to the computer. Can you hook it up to the ignition switch too?

________
Old 03-23-2011, 07:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Mike,

Not trying to start an argument but I had a T-5, 5 speed racing transmission in my Cobra and I had a neutral safety switch. If it wasn't in Neutral you couldn't start the car and I had a 351 stroker and no computer of any kind. I didn't have back up lights as they weren't required when I built it.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying about a Neutral Safety Switch. If so, please accept my apologies.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 03-23-2011, 09:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR 427 S/C, 351W, 5 Sp & KMP142 - 427 SO, 4 Spd
Not Ranked     

I only have my backup light switch in use on my T-5Z on my CR. That works
fine. The neutral switch isn't wired to anything. 351W is the engine.
No problems.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

With my CR I, built by Don Scott, will only start in neutral with a T5 transmission. Being the 2nd owner, do not know the details, never looked at the specific wiring etc. Always referred to the arrangement as a neutral safety switch, might be there is another name for manual transmissions with the feature since the switch/device is customarily associated with automatic transmissions
Old 03-23-2011, 05:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
With my CR I, built by Don Scott, will only start in neutral with a T5 transmission. Being the 2nd owner, do not know the details, never looked at the specific wiring etc. Always referred to the arrangement as a neutral safety switch, might be there is another name for manual transmissions with the feature since the switch/device is customarily associated with automatic transmissions
I have a T5Z in a CR, and I believe it is just wired to the ignition switch.

________

Last edited by CobraEd; 03-23-2011 at 06:13 PM..
Old 03-23-2011, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks to all. Ordered the reverse light switch from MIke. Jury is still out on the neutral safety or sensing switch or whatever it is called. I am going to try to splice it in and see what happens.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR 427 S/C, 351W, 5 Sp & KMP142 - 427 SO, 4 Spd
Not Ranked     

The reverse light switch for the backup lights on a CR is a good idea but I fail
to see why one would need a neutral switch for anything. People drove cars
just fine without all these "safety switches" for everything until the govt started taking over to "protect" us. JMHO.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Flip,

My neutral safety switch was a screw in unit to the transmission which I found out one day when I couldn't get the car to turn over. One of the wires had came loose. As for having it, there was a post on here a year or so ago showing someones Cobra with the front end bashed up. He had just driven it and parked it in his garage and his daughters boyfriend was looking at it and for some reason decided to turn the key. It fired up and ran through his garage door. And I have seen that at car shows which is why I always take my keys out and make sure the car is in gear and the parking brake set.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 03-24-2011, 09:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LoneStar 427 SC, "Red Venom", 351W B/S 400 HP, TKO 600 .64 OD
Not Ranked     

The neutral safety switch is normally wired between your ignition switch and your starter solenoid to prevent the starter from engaging unless the transmission is in neutral. It's not absolutely needed but it's not a bad idea to use it or a clutch depress switch in your starter circuit.

My TKO500 came with a pigtail and a connector but like you, it only had one side of the connector. I just cut it off and replaced it with a waterproof 2-prong connector from a wiring supply house.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

The neutral indicator switch on your T5 can be used as a neutral safety switch if you so desire. If you have a clutch safety switch, you don't really need it, but I would have one or the other. Simply run the start out from the ignition switch
(purple on most wiring harnesses) to one side of the switch and the other to the "S" terminal on your starter solenoid.
Kirkham #690 289 FIA