Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 05:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters ltd,
Not Ranked     
Default Hard Ride

What would it take to make a softer ride in our Classic Roadster II. The rear end rides like a truck and I think I feel ant's when I ride over them. Sometimes it seems to bottom out. The roads are not kept up very well here in wisconsin.
Thanks
Bob Milkie
Old 06-27-2011, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 95 EFI 5.0
Not Ranked     

Perhaps your shocks are too stiff, these are cars are super light and it's a good chance the shocks you aqre using are made for much heavier cars.

Also, are you sure your car id bottoming out. It may be that the shocks are not compressing enough.

P.S. I am in Milwaukee and currently building my car. Did you build yours?
It would be great to talk to you and see your car to see how things where done on yours.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi, I bought the car unfinished but running. The guy that built it did a ok job, but I did alot to her to make her look like a 66. We still have a few things to do. I just hate the ride right now. I'm not sure what shocks to try or if the springs are to stiff. The car is 25 years old and only had 500 miles on it. It sat a long time. We live in Racine and would love to take a ride up to you with the car and visit. Looks like rain today but maybe this week sometime. I'm retired so I can get away just about any time.
Thanks
Bob Milkie
262-498-4543
Old 06-27-2011, 07:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 95 EFI 5.0
Not Ranked     

As a test, remove the rear shocks and take her out for a ride.
Without the shocks that car should be bouncy (to be expected without shocks) but should be a good indicator if it is the shocks that are causing the ride to too firm.

I'll give you a call either today or tomorrow.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just may try that. Talk to ya soon.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

The first Cobra I built was a Classics Roadsters - nice car. You're right, it rides like a buckboard. The problem is that the rear of the car is light weight, and the axle is heavy - comparativly speaking. The similar weights of the sprung and unsprung weight makes it a little more difficult to control the suspension.

The first thing to do is realize that you're going to have to spend some money to get what you want. So, don't be shy with the check book.

Dump the shocks and springs you have now, and replace them with a good set of coil overs. Spend some time measuring your suspension, and then spend some time studying the QA-A web site. QA-1 makes a fine shock, but their springs are average. I prefer Eibach springs.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 06-28-2011, 04:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Piper......
If you are using the CR stock rear suspension with the adjustable rear spring threaded rods.... Just about anything you do will improve the ride. Coil-overs-ANY brand is a huge improvement. If you car is pretty much stock a 200 lb spring rate, Penske,Eilback, QA-1's, Pro, are all huge improvements.

DV
Old 06-28-2011, 04:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Guy's,
I read the old posts on how to make the ride better. I orderd the Pro shocks to start with and will go from there. I just don't want to re-invent the wheel here. I love the car and it's a blast to drive. But either the ride improves or the car go's.
Thanks again
Old 06-28-2011, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #318, 418 CI, 532 RWHP, Mass Flow Injected, TKO600-Road Race, BMW M3 Suspension, Race Springs (Wouldn't do it again, rough on the street).
Not Ranked     

Tire pressure, one of the biggest differences you will make to the "ride" of the car. Drop it to something like 18F/20R and take it out. If you like it, then you know it can be fixed to your satisfaction with springs/shocks and proper tire pressure for your application.