Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2011, 04:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 302, roller cam, Holley 650
Not Ranked     
Default MSD Ignition Issues

At a car show my MSD 6AL ignition failed and I came home courtesy of AAA. At first I thought it was a problem with the distributor cap or rotor as discussed in so many threads. It turned out that the bronze gear shredded. My initial thought was to replace the bronze gear with steel to match the E303 gear. While installing the new steel gear we found that the shaft actually wobbled 1/8". Obviously, that is what shredded the bronze gear. Because of all the threads about MSD issues I went with a Pertronix distributor. I have removed the MSD 6AL box and offer it as a back up for those people who race are prefer the MSD system for any reason. This box could serve as a back up.

Jim

PS Gentlemen, it pays to check your shafts.

Last edited by James Stern; 09-17-2011 at 05:09 AM..
Old 09-18-2011, 07:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 95 EFI 5.0
Not Ranked     

I don't quite follow what what you are saying...
Let's see if this is correct, you state that you thought the problem was the MSD 6AL but you later find out the Pertronix distributor gear is shreaded because it had play in it. As a result you are offering up the the 6AL.

Better replace that Pertronix distributor also, which I am sure you are.

If you are offering up the 6AL because you are getting rid of it, I'll take it.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry about any confusion that I caused with my thread. The original MSD distributor shredded its bronze distributor. We thought that we could just change over to a steel dist. gear but during the tear down found that the distributor shaft had a wobble in it. About 1/8". We decided to go with the Pertrornix distributor and removed the MSD 6AL box as the Pertronix distributor did not need it. The box is available for cheap.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 95 EFI 5.0
Not Ranked     

Wow!
The fact that the distributor had "wobble" play in it is pretty surprising.
You should call MSD and see what they say... They might replace it (which you could in turrn take and sell).
Old 09-19-2011, 08:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

The wobble is minimized by the pilot hole in the block casting that the distributor shaft below the gear fits into. It also helps offset sideload from the torque applied to the oil pump drive shaft.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 09-19-2011, 10:33 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

So you're under the impression that pertronix dist does the same thing as an MSD box? If so, send that POS to me I'll take it off your hands!

Steve
Old 09-19-2011, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve, I don't know if the Pertronix and MSD are comparable in any way. The guy that fixed the car for me felt it would be more reliable and after reading about all the issues with MSD that have been reported in these forums I decided to make a switch. I don't race my Cobra as some of you do so the MSD system is not a requirement for my needs.

Jim
Old 09-19-2011, 09:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LoneStar LS427 , 427 Windsor
Not Ranked     

The primary reason that 85% of the ignition problems you hear about are with MSD, is because 85% of the cars are using them.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Isn't that equal to 100%?

DV
Old 09-20-2011, 03:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default No wobble to start

James Stern James James if the distributor gear stripped, you may have an alignment problem and also the wrong gear for the camshaft. You might want to follow this list. You didn't say how many miles are on this motor since new??
1 pull the oil pan and clean out all bronze partials, change oil and filter also(2) times
2 Checking the hole in the block for size and being centered for the oil pump drive. Diameter of hole may need a bushing to stop housing play.
3 Camshaft end play, too much walking will eat a gear. having oil either direct flow or steady splash at the 2 gears will extend life of gears. There are torrington bearing kits for also all motors to control camshafts with shims for the right end play specs.
This might be a good winter project, still pull pan and cut open filter for partial check. Check oil pump also. Pull off bottom plate and check for grooves,chips, wear marks inside housing. Might be cheaper to get new pump. Rick L.

Last edited by RICK LAKE; 09-20-2011 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: sleep typing
Old 09-20-2011, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick, Thanks for the concern and advice. All of the things you stated were done during the conversion to Pertronix. The oil pan and screen were pulled and flushed out. The cam was checked for play. The filter and pan oil were run through a paint filter. In a discussion with a Ford tech rep he stated that "All lettered 303 cams need a STEEL gear." After flushing the block everything was buttoned up and new oil and filter was put in. We ran the engine for 10 minutes and threw away the oil and filter and reloaded same. Prayers are said daily at the local church to St. Lee Iacoca for the preservation of the engine.

Jim