Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 08:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic 427, I purchased it May 2005, the kit was bought in 1991. I'm not sure when it was completed! Installed GMPP Connect & Cruise 376/525 with T-56 S/M 3.55 gears about 2 years ago! 1/4 miles is with old setup!
Not Ranked     
Default Autometer

Anyone using these?

Auto Meter Cobra Gauges - JEGS
Old 12-03-2011, 08:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

I'm not using them, but have a couple of friends who are. I've always liked Autometer, but I think that may be driven more by the fact that you never need a tach adapter if using an MSD box. Anyway, the feedback is that the 2 1/16" gauges are very small (may be an old eye issue), you have to buy the speedo cable reverser separately (A cable reverser is required for this speedometer, contact Speedometer Service Co. at (414) 463-6660), and the needle fell off of two gauges, but they were replaced free with no further problems. They do look really cool!
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 12-03-2011, 09:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Autometer gauges are all the same. Changing the style only changes the the parts you can see - bezel, face, needle. Internally, they're the same for all types.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 12-03-2011, 09:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you're going for the period correct look on a 427, why not just get Smiths - they are the real deal.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic 427, I purchased it May 2005, the kit was bought in 1991. I'm not sure when it was completed! Installed GMPP Connect & Cruise 376/525 with T-56 S/M 3.55 gears about 2 years ago! 1/4 miles is with old setup!
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreid View Post
I'm not using them, but have a couple of friends who are. I've always liked Autometer, but I think that may be driven more by the fact that you never need a tach adapter if using an MSD box. Anyway, the feedback is that the 2 1/16" gauges are very small (may be an old eye issue), you have to buy the speedo cable reverser separately (A cable reverser is required for this speedometer, contact Speedometer Service Co. at (414) 463-6660), and the needle fell off of two gauges, but they were replaced free with no further problems. They do look really cool!
Thanks, I missed that. I should have known they would not have built a movement just for Cobra's! I think I will drop the extra $$ and get the new electric version. That will be the ticket if I ever upgrade to a newer transmission.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I had several issues with my AutoMeter Cobra gauges. The water and oil temp were 10-20 degrees C off, and the tach wouldn't work. They replaced the tach, once it came in from China (that's where they are made) but I was told the gauges are for "reference only" and don't necessarily read the exact temp.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm not a fan of Smith's or Lucas, of course that is based on thoughts of many years ago. I took a look at some on the net, one site in the UK. Dang it looks like the Value Added Tax (VAT) there is 20%?

After two reports of problems with Auto-Meter I'm having second thoughts. Is the problem just with the Cobra series or all Auto-Meter gauges? I have used Auto-Meter in the past and never had a problem! I guess it's the same old story, when they go off-shore,,,,

Another thought! I want to re-arrange my gauges, so that means filling the holes and/or making a new dash cover. My dash is now vinyl covered, so it's got to go. I'm thinking about covering it with copper sheet. I think it will be a very different look polished out and clear coated. Thoughts?
Old 12-03-2011, 09:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

I think polished copper would be too distracting and perhaps hazardous. These are open top roadsters and the sun hits at all angles. Perhaps engine turned, but even that would need to be sealed so it doesn't corrode. How about one of these:

Textured Metal
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 12-04-2011, 07:11 AM
Seasoned Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, Dart 427W "Replica" Ford engine
Not Ranked     

Al,
I ordered Autometers with my kit. From the start the water and oil temp gauges didn't work, but I tested them both in hot water before I ran the tubing and Autometer replaced them both for me. My ammeter also didn't work but I replaced it with a voltmeter, which I was going to do anyway. The speedo quit working but that was due to a broken cable, and THAT was due to the reverser gear (not Autometer) being too tight. I took it apart and adjusted it and it works fine now. I also replaced the plastic oil pressure tube with a steel braided hose but that was for my own peace of mind. All in all, if I had to do it all over again I would go with electrc gauges and I would have to think long and hard about going back to Autometer.
Bill Stradtner
Old 12-04-2011, 08:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't know if it would be so reflective as to cause a problem when clear coated! I was also thinking of maybe going for an antique look, maybe heat discoloration etc. Talk about inflation, copper plate is up over 300% since I bought some 4-5 years ago! Back then I made a coffee table top (cover) out of 20 gauge (.032”) sheet but that was a very simple shape. I think 24 gauge (.020”) or even .010” foil would do the trick for the dash. The .010” foil would be easy to work but the fiberglass dash would need to be almost flawless to prevent imperfections from showing through.

Just a thought, I will mostly have the vinyl redone or hold off awhile on gauge replacement. A lot of irons in the fire right now!
Old 12-04-2011, 02:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic roadster II 351 win
Not Ranked     
Default Autometer

I have autometer electronic gauges, carbon fiber series . They have been trouble free since installation . The calibration was very easy. I know, not exactly period correct but it goes with my smooth glass like paint job on the dash. Dare to be different
Old 12-04-2011, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightingrod View Post
I'm not a fan of Smith's or Lucas, of course that is based on thoughts of many years ago. I took a look at some on the net, one site in the UK. Dang it looks like the Value Added Tax (VAT) there is 20%?

I had AutoMeters in my Cobra but chose to switch to Smiths for a more period-correct look. Nisonger Instruments :: the exclusive Smiths U.S. Warranty & Service Center since 1949 is the US Smiths' dealer. They are Cobra-friendly and service what they sell. The original Cobra gauges aren't the brightest gauges but they look correct and I have personally had pretty good luck.

Jim
Old 12-05-2011, 11:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 427 stroker, TKO 500
Not Ranked     

I put them in my car. they have worked perfectly from the start.

Don