Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic 427, I purchased it May 2005, the kit was bought in 1991. I'm not sure when it was completed! Installed GMPP Connect & Cruise 376/525 with T-56 S/M 3.55 gears about 2 years ago! 1/4 miles is with old setup!
Not Ranked     
Default Another tire/rim question!

Looking at tires and rims, how much can we get under the rear? I have an 8.8" with drum brakes and coil overs from CR II. I'm looking at these rims in 15" x 10" for the rear!
American Racing Vintage Shelby Cobra Wheels - 427

What back spacing? I would like to run the 325/50/15 M/T drag radials I have. The tread is around 11.5".
Old 12-11-2011, 08:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

Al,
Those tires would look badazz. I like the extra wide tire in the rear. I have the MT Drag radials in 275/60/15 on 8 1/2 x 15 wheels w/ a back space of 3 1/4". The width of my rear end is 57 1/2" outside flange to outside flange. It looks like I could go wider towards the outside wheel well but Im not sure there is room on the inside. I had the big letter Billboards on the car at one time and they would rub a little on the inside wheel well on semi-hard cornering but not when going straight. Those tires did have a bulging sidewall though. Let me know what you come up with because I would love to work that out if possible.

John
Old 12-11-2011, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: csx4163 full comp alu. body
Not Ranked     

To get bigger tires under the Bennett car, Paul Bennett built his own sheet metal housing for 9" ford center section to get as narrow as possible. Used his own design upper and lower control arms and narrowed the rear space frame as much as possible. I have a set of 14 1/2" slicks for the rear and 12 1/2" slicks for front. Car has upper and lower control arms in front with push rod coil overs. Total redone frame, suspension, rear end, front end and wheels. A lot of work. Not sure if it was worth it. Does not look right with that much rubber. My car is over 20 years old and a lot has changed since then. My friend has a full body mustang that goes almost 200 miles hour in 1/4 mile on 10 1/2' slicks ,set records at las vegas last month. Point is how much money and work do you want to go to. Almost forgot Bennett made his own rims also.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic roadster II 351 win
Not Ranked     

I used American Racing vintage wheels . I purchased them from Wheels for less, they had the best price. The spinners, lug nuts and chrome valve stems were included in the price and free shipping. The tech explained how to measure for the correct back spacing and the wheels fit perfectly. Wheelsforless - Product Catalog - Search Result Page try the link! I went with 17" and goodyear extreme contact. These tires really grab and made a major differencs in the handling of the car.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic 427, I purchased it May 2005, the kit was bought in 1991. I'm not sure when it was completed! Installed GMPP Connect & Cruise 376/525 with T-56 S/M 3.55 gears about 2 years ago! 1/4 miles is with old setup!
Not Ranked     

^^Thanks^^ Looks likethey do have better prices! I have been all over the place on tires/wheels. I think I'm going to put off tires/wheels for now but if I were to buy today i would go with the "classic look" 15" with wide and large side walls! I'm not much into carving corners, I'm more about 1/4 mile type performance and the classic look.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I also have 427 classic roadster II . Its a great car , it ride and handles very well on the street and looks extremely good when parked. I just tried to pass on some information . Didn't think
I get the snob treatment from someone with a CR LTD and a chevy engine . I built my cobra . I didn't cut corner in my build mechanically or cosmetically . I just had a realistic expectation on how I was going to use my cobra. Oh by the way I like chevy engines. I was just making a point.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Rockman,

I think that you might have missed the point. I took it as he does not do a lot of autocrossing or road course.

Although I could be wrong and the "powers that be" could just tell me to mind my own business.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

tcrist, your right. I should have put on my glasses ! Not only was I wrong, I put down the wrong tires. I replaced the goodyears with Continental Extreme Contact. They are great tires. When I screw up, I do it right, but I am big enough to admit it and I am sorry.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

PS, my other hot rod is a chevy, 1941 pickup.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rockman, I was not trying to be a snob in anyway shape or form! I have gotten the snob treatment from other owners (Superformance) because I have a CR II, they really looked down their nose when they found out it was Chevy powered! I must admit they are good looking cars. I especially liked the way they looked in my rear view mirrors! Now I’m sure all Superformance owners are not this way but the 2 I have run into were! They both got their azz handed to them. The 428 2x4 top loader with my SBC 383 CR II, the other (408 SBF) with my old 1990 454 SS pickup 572/620!

Maybe I should have said “Muscle” instead of “Classic” car look? My point about not carving corners was that a modern 17”-18” tire wheel combo will handle much better than the old 1960’s style 15” tire wheel combo and that I accepted that compromise because of how I intend to use it! Saturday Night Special!
Old 12-13-2011, 07:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I just bought those same rims a couple months ago for my CR. 15x10 with a 5.5" backspace. I've got billboards on them and they seem to fit the car nicely.

Also FYI: I really liked the "reverse dish" look of them in the picture so when mine didn't come looking like that I called them and was told you have to specifically order them "reverse dish" and they can have a max of 4.5" bs on a 10" wheel in order for them to have the reverse dish look like the picture. I guess I was under the impression that they came like what was pictured. Otherwise the "barrel" will look like the one shown in the all polished picture.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

Wadeh,
Do you know the width dimendion of your rear end? Was it shortened or is it stock?

Thanks,
John
Old 12-13-2011, 12:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

STOCK!

With BFG 275-60-15's they as close to the outer fenderwell as I would want. Anything wider would need to be to the inside! I like the reverse dish look as well but I don't think it will happen with the current rearend!
Old 12-14-2011, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

John,
My rear is 59 1/2" wide overall including the rotor hats. I had put in a Moser 9" that they said was a stock dimension replacement for the Mustang rear that CR had spec'd. On the inside, I've got about 1.5" between the sidewall and the bolts heads for the door latch brackets. I think I read that those bolt heads are what to look at for rubbing on the inside. On the outside, the tread just fits inside the lip. I would probably prefer about 1/2" more backspace to get it in from that outside lip a little more.
Wade