Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 04-30-2013, 06:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic 427, I purchased it May 2005, the kit was bought in 1991. I'm not sure when it was completed! Installed GMPP Connect & Cruise 376/525 with T-56 S/M 3.55 gears about 2 years ago! 1/4 miles is with old setup!
Not Ranked     
Default Fuel Level Sending Unit

What type of fuel level sending units were used with the CR-II fuel tanks (1991 kit)? 240-33, 16-158 or 0-90 ohms? I tried to take an ohm reading but it's coming up pretty much like an open with a full tank of fuel. It works but I’m not sure how accurate it is. It always seems to sit on full forever and then drop real quick. I have never let it get below about ½.

I guess I may just have to pull the dang tank! When I get it figured out I’m ordering these gauges.

Auto Meter Cobra Gauges - JEGS

Old 04-30-2013, 06:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1965 registered Brushed Kirkham polished stripes, 427 FE kieth craft 482 efi.ss chassis and all the go gear .
Not Ranked     
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightingrod View Post
What type of fuel level sending units were used with the CR-II fuel tanks (1991 kit)? 240-33, 16-158 or 0-90 ohms? I tried to take an ohm reading but it's coming up pretty much like an open with a full tank of fuel. It works but I’m not sure how accurate it is. It always seems to sit on full forever and then drop real quick. I have never let it get below about ½.

I guess I may just have to pull the dang tank! When I get it figured out I’m ordering these gauges.

Auto Meter Cobra Gauges - JEGS

Or you could use my type of fuel sender unit on my Kirkham. a flexible wooden dip stick about a meter long !

Soul.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

What kind of fuel level gauge?
Old 04-30-2013, 07:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic 427, I purchased it May 2005, the kit was bought in 1991. I'm not sure when it was completed! Installed GMPP Connect & Cruise 376/525 with T-56 S/M 3.55 gears about 2 years ago! 1/4 miles is with old setup!
Not Ranked     

Currently pretty cheap looking VDO but I couldn't find a p/n on it!
Old 04-30-2013, 07:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

When I had to replace mine I used a VDO #301-303 VDO 301-303 VDO Series 1 Gauges
Old 04-30-2013, 07:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrist View Post
When I had to replace mine I used a VDO #301-303 VDO 301-303 VDO Series 1 Gauges
Those look a lot better than what's in mine and a couple of options as well!

Old 05-01-2013, 04:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Lightningrod,
If all you want to do is match the ohms of your new gauge to the old one, here's a way to do that. Go down to your Radio Shack or similar store and buy a cheap 90 ohm resistor. Disconnect your old gauge from the tank sender and wire it so the resistor is in the circuit where the tank sender would normally be. This gives you a known input the same as your tank sender would if it were at the level where it reads 90 ohms. On the 33-240 gauge that will show as about 2/3 full. On the 16-158 gauge it will show about half full, and completely empty on the 0-90 gauge. As most aftermarket gauges are of the 33-240 variety, that's the one I would expect to see.

BTW, if they don't have a 90 ohm resistor, you can wire two or more lesser resistors together in series as long as they add up to 90.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 05-01-2013, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

i dunno if you have changed them but the gauges shown in the pics in your album look like stewart-warners to me.....if they are SW then its a 240-33...

Last edited by FWB; 05-01-2013 at 12:56 PM..
Old 05-01-2013, 06:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The VDO's I've tinkered with are also 33-240.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

They are CHEAP-O VDO's, all plastic!

Tommy, I had the same idea to use a resistor but that will only tell me what the current gauge is. My concern is that it may NOT be correct! I went ahead and used a variable resistor and took readings at empty and full. The current gauge is a 0-90!

I would be a "Happy Camper" if the signal wire was reading 90, 158 or 240 ohms but it's reading OPEN! As I said it seemed to stay at full forever and If I remember right it would take 10 or more gallons to fill it from 3/4's of a tank! So, bad or maladjusted sending unit? What type, no way to tell for sure with the information I have!

I really like the Autometer Cobra gauges but I want to be sure before I drop $650.00 on them only to find out my sending unit is a 0-90 ohms which the Cobra series don't support! I'm planning some road trips in the future so a fairly accurate fuel gauge is important! I guess I'll just hold off ordering until I can pull the tank and make SURE!

Thanks Guys!

:-)

Last edited by Lightingrod; 05-02-2013 at 02:53 AM..
Old 05-02-2013, 03:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So what is your current sender? Impedance and type (inductive or mechanical)?
Old 05-02-2013, 03:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No idea, that's why I'm going to wait until I can pull the tank and check! I bought the car already built and there are a lot of things that were done half-azz at best! Just do them one at a time!
Old 05-02-2013, 04:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmate View Post
So what is your current sender? Impedance and type (inductive or mechanical)?
I don't think he knows. It sounds like he'll have to pull the tank to find out. ... Project Creep is a ***** (female dog).
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 05-02-2013, 04:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Creep, mine tend to run amok!

:-(
Old 05-02-2013, 05:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

The unit that came with CSX6022 performs similar and is installed and calibrated properly. Some styles of sending units just aren't very accurate.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 05-02-2013, 10:57 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
I don't think he knows. It sounds like he'll have to pull the tank to find out. ... Project Creep is a ***** (female dog).
As Mickmate can attest, I am quite familiar with "Project Creep". He has the knowledge and the stuff needed to do it right