Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     
Default Thread size on windwing brackets...

What is the proper thread size and pitch for the screws that connect the wind wings to the windshield frame? It doesn't look like there is more than 2-3 threads of engagement before bottoming out and I really don't want to bottom out.

Thanks,
John
Old 09-02-2013, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: csx4163 full comp alu. body
Not Ranked     

If you bottom out their is a good chance you will crack the windshield, which you probably already know. Different windshields could have different screws from metric to american. If you are real careful you could hand try tap to see if it will go. If you have old screw, tap and die sets come with thread gauge you can hold screw against to check threads.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Measure a screw that was in there. It is likely a 10-32 or a 10-24.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The screws that were there are 10/24. I had one fall out yesterday and noticed that they were all different. Slotted, pan head phillips and oval head phillips but all 10/24. I want to replace them to all be the same. The length based on my careful calculation are just under .75" so there will be some precise grinding and checking to make sure they do not bottom out. A cracked windshield will make for an unhappy John.

Thanks,
John
Old 09-03-2013, 02:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

John,
For what its worth department; two full threads, three you take a severe risk of hitting the glass. We-I have broken/cracked a windshield because of the uneven edges of the glass!
When the shop was open it was our procedure to remove the entire windshield from the OEM frame and actually grind*/sand the edges smooth then re install.

*using a 6" grinder with a 24 grit pad, and applying at a large angle to the glass we were able to actually grind all the edges smooth. Never had one break since the above was implemented. Go slow....a Valium for nerves , As little heat build up as possible! (How we shape all of our "laminated safety glass" windows in our street rods, I.e., chopped tops, etc.)

DV

Last edited by Double Venom; 09-05-2013 at 11:10 AM..
Old 09-08-2013, 05:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just a follow up here. I replaced the screws that hold the wind wing brackets to the wind shield frame. They were 10/24 threads and all were roughly 3/4" in length but I did have to shorten them. It was kind of difficult to straight up and measure because they enter the frame at an angle. I started with 1" stainless allen head screws. Each one ended up being a slightly different length to get a snug fit with about 1-2 threads of engagement. They felt tight and secure when finished. I found the best method of shortening was to use a screw cutter feature on a pair of electrical pliers I have. The grinder sort of distorted the threads and since I was only getting a couple threads the first one counts. Mission complete.

John
Old 09-08-2013, 06:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Dreams
Not Ranked     

What about thread lock or lock-tight?
Old 09-08-2013, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Here comes a debate:
John if you are talking about windwings, are you talking about using the original bolts that hold the frame sides on?

Just wondering because those screws are usually drilled through the "up-rights". No way to hit the glass on those.

I thought you were actually talking about the "Visors". The Visor attaching screws are usually the ones that will contact the glass and cause it to crack.

The wings should have come with set of 10-24 screws with acorn nuts that will fit the screw when it is put through the side posts.

DV-