Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 09:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 91, 65 CR 427 289 or 302
Not Ranked     
Default Need 302 headers for CRII

I have searched "for sale" section of the forum but none available. Does anyone have or know where to get a set of chrome, stainless or ceramic headers for a 302 in a 91 CR II? I need to replace my headers and need the new ones to (hopefully) bolt up to the existing original CR side pipes. Any suggestions? Thanks.

jimhurtt@twc.com
Old 09-17-2013, 03:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 95 EFI 5.0
Not Ranked     

I am guessing that you have the original headers, anything wrong with them?
If not, you can send them out to be sandblasted and ceramic coated.
Or worse comes to worse take them to a shop that can replicated them making a new set out of stainless steel.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Jim,
The only ones that are going to bolt to the engine - your side pipes and fit the body are CR's.

Gotta be made fella- regardless of the shape of the ones you have...do NOT throw them away!

DV
Old 09-17-2013, 09:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks for info

I do have the headers on but want to replace them with something nicer looking, as they are just steel that were wrapped in heat tape or heat wrap when I got the car. As mine is a 91 apparently assembled by CR in Fargo originally, I guess they wrapped them there. They look to be rusted when I peel back some of the wrap. If they appear solid when I unwrap them, I will do as Wisconsin -Snake suggests and see about getting them sandblasted and coated. I guess it was too much to hope that there was a ready-made, bolt-on set somewhere. Any suggestions where I can send them to get blasted and coated?

Thanks for the replies.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

"Jet-Coat", is but one of many coaters. Find one that does both inside and out.
Heat Tape is the absolute worst thing that you could have done! I suggest being very careful taking it off. Only thing that makes sense, that they haven't burnt out, is because it is a Cobra and wasn't driven for long periods of time.

If they are solid you will be amazed by what sandblasting and powder coating will do!
Who ever you use make sure it is HIGH HEAT POWDER COATING!
DV
Old 09-19-2013, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic 427, I purchased it May 2005, the kit was bought in 1991. I'm not sure when it was completed! Installed GMPP Connect & Cruise 376/525 with T-56 S/M 3.55 gears about 2 years ago! 1/4 miles is with old setup!
Not Ranked     

I'm pretty happy with "Pro-Kote-Indy" !

Coatings | Pro Kote Indy
Old 09-27-2013, 09:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys. I am going to take the heat tape off, remove them and send them to Jet Coat and have them do the Extreme polished 1300 ceramic treatment for $280. If I can't re-use the header and flange gaskets any suggestions?
Old 09-27-2013, 09:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Jim,

You can get the flange gaskets from Finishline (or just about any speed shop). The header gaskets can be gotten at just about any auto parts store.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

"HI-HEAT" Permatex gasket sealer works perfectly for header to side pipe gasket. Doesn't blow out, doesn't leak, usually cheaper than the gaskets, and can be installed for years and comes apart easily.
DV
Old 12-02-2013, 07:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

FYI. I sent the headers to Jet-Hot for ceramic coating but I don't think they sandblasted them first. They coated over pitting and they look crinkled in a lot of places. Not a good job.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 95 EFI 5.0
Not Ranked     

Did they say they were going sandblast them???
If there was pitting, that would show through, not sandblasting them and just coating them would show through too, but that would probably would give you a crinkled appearance. Beside looking crappy, I would be concerned about the rust that was left on further rusting the metal and not providing a good surface for the jetcoat to bond with..
Post a couple of pics so we can determine what happened.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

IF - they- didn't sand blast or 'dip' them prior to coating that would be a first in my book.
'Snakes' got it right sandblasting isn't going to take car of any of the rust damage/pitting. Powder coating will only show up flaws, defects in the steel at this point.
Powder coating ain't going to make them prettier, just last longer.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

I have used Swain Technology for coating the headers and side pipes. The web site explains their process. Would appear the term “ ceramic “ has become generic when describing various coatings. Available only in white, I have sprayed the parts with high temp black. The finish is not smooth , can be compared to sand paper, which Swain refers to as the ceramic material. While there are a number of good coatings, provides a base for comparison on materials, process, finish, etc.

White Lightning Exhaust Coatings | Swain Tech Coatings | Industrial Coatings | High Performance Racing Coatings

Have an extra set of new CR I headers, not coated, purchased directly from Don Scott which were ordered for a 351W with GT 40 heads. Do not know the compatibility with other heads/engines, and intended to bolt up to the CR I factory side pipes.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Now this is one for the books!
The headers will fit any Ford small block. The only difference for the GT40 or P heads is a slight larger angle on the tubes from the head plates.

In other words the P headers will fit any small block where the stock headers will not fit without modification.

DV