Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRI
Not Ranked     
Default Need Big Block Headers, and Motor Mounts

All, does anyone know where I can purchase Ford big block headers, and frame mounts for motor mounts, or will my small block frame mounts work? My father gave me a virgin 390 FE motor, and I would like to put it in my CR 1 frame. Also where can I find up graded side pipes, the one's I have are from CR 1. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance,
Mike

Last edited by Pasta Power; 12-07-2013 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add request
Old 12-07-2013, 04:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

I can tell you one thing, BB Ford headers are not available anymore unless you can find someone that has a pair for sale. A good quality muffler shop is where to start, but a good all around street rod shop would be better.

Motor mounts are going to have to come off the board here, but you are going to have to make your own frame mounts. I hope you have some experience with installing a BB in a CR II, awesome when they a done this way but they are a little bit more challenging than a SB.

Good luck!
DV
Old 12-07-2013, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks DV for fast reply, greatly appreciated as always. Boy you just took the wind out of my sails it's hard for me to pass up a big block. Maybe someone may read this that does fabrication work and can help. I would like to make a trip to Pentwater some day and buy you an ice cream, thank you for always sharing your knowledge.
Mike
Old 12-07-2013, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Buddy,
I hope I didn't turn you negative! Just a few extra glitches is all! Your only 3 hrs. and ten minutes from Pentwater! I'd take that ice cream any time! Bring frame, side pipes, and motor with or without tranny. I'll get you mounted up and headers made Just because of a glitch or two...not to worry! If your timing is right you might even get to meet another new Cobra owner that has surpassed a few of his own glitches on his trek of becoming one of the newest members of this great Cobra club of ours!

Note: A rolling, steering chassis would be better but NOT necessary!
DV

PS Been passing by Pickney for over 40 years, every time I head to Oh-HO-ho! MSU 17 OSU 10 half time, yay!

Last edited by Double Venom; 12-07-2013 at 07:12 PM..
Old 12-08-2013, 10:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Headers

Google "Stainless Headers" they will send you a gig that mounts to the engine and they will make headers from that. They are easy to work with....
Regards,
Jon
Old 12-08-2013, 12:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jon,
Do you have any experience with their jig? If it's not absolutely able to make semi straight tubes to the collector I can't see how they would work. Another problem is on the left side where the #1 tube has to go up and then back down as smooth as possible so the steering shaft has room to go under the #1 tube?

I surely hope so, it would save a ton of problem for so many guys that don't have headers!
DV
Old 12-08-2013, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Response

I had some parts made by them but some of the guys over on ff5 have had great success with them
Jon
Old 12-08-2013, 07:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The link you have posted shows stainless 5.0 headers for a MUSTANG. Classic Roadster headers and most Cobras do not use a Mustang type header. FFR- I can't remember what their headers are like or if they do use an OEM type header?

DV
Old 12-08-2013, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Found the web site I think you are talking about- Stainless Headers Mfg., Inc. fabricates custom headers in stainless and mild steel
pretty darned impressive to be sure. This may be the answer ??
DV
Old 12-08-2013, 09:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

Pasta,
I have a 390 in my CR. It can be done although it was already in the car when I purchased it. Its a good combo.

John
Old 12-09-2013, 02:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well this is good news. Thank you saltshaker! We have been in contact with the company all day. Seems what we want is quite simple compared to their multi angled headers most jobs require. Might be awhile but I'll post when we advance.

There you go Pasta' header problem licked! Frame mounts and engine mounts aren't even a hick up any wore!
Old 12-10-2013, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

WOW, Thanks to all of you! I will be getting in touch with them. I found I have an extra set of frame mounts for a small block, I had purchased a set many years ago when I thought the they needed to be lower, that will give me a pattern to have some fab'd up and not have to modify the small block ones. One more question.......to stroke the 390 or not to stroke it? Again thank all of you.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

to stroke the 390 or not to stroke it?

Mine is running so good right now I cannot justify the effort. But if I ever have to do major bottom end work I would for sure. Good luck with your project.

John