Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2015, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     
Default Tonneau for CR Cobra

I'm looking for a source for a tonneau cover for my Classic Roadsters Cobra. Can someone help with leads?

I've had the car for over 20 years now, it's an (almost) daily driver, and the 20 year old tonneau is starting to tear.

Thanks,
Joel Heinke
Old 04-21-2015, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5GTO View Post
I'm looking for a source for a tonneau cover for my Classic Roadsters Cobra. Can someone help with leads?

I've had the car for over 20 years now, it's an (almost) daily driver, and the 20 year old tonneau is starting to tear.

Thanks,
Joel Heinke
I have one for a superformance I will sell its brand new, I don't know if it will fit your car, you can pm me if interested...
Old 04-21-2015, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     

If you have the old one any upholster can make one up for you.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Joe,
If it's not made for a CR, NONE WILL FIT. Auto Orr BOAT upholstered can use your original one for a pattern.

Congratulations on the 20 yr. mark!
tbrennan likes this.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Robbins tonneaus are 54"wide and 50" long.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Follow-up questions

Thanks for all the responses.

Indeed the CR cockpit size and thus the tonneau size is unique and larger than other Cobras. There's a reason my 6'5" tall body fits comfortably in my CR where I've not found the same comfort in other Cobras. It looks like the tonneau for the CR needs to be 54" long and 57" wide.

I received an estimate of 400 from a local auto upholstery business to make one. Does this sound like a fair price to you guys?

They want an extra 80 to make in Haartz cloth. I do like the look of that material better than the more common vinyl. From your experience, does the Haartz cloth work and last as good as the more common vinyl material?
tbrennan likes this.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5GTO View Post
Thanks for all the responses.

Indeed the CR cockpit size and thus the tonneau size is unique and larger than other Cobras. There's a reason my 6'5" tall body fits comfortably in my CR where I've not found the same comfort in other Cobras. It looks like the tonneau for the CR needs to be 54" long and 57" wide.

I received an estimate of 400 from a local auto upholstery business to make one. Does this sound like a fair price to you guys?

They want an extra 80 to make in Haartz cloth. I do like the look of that material better than the more common vinyl. From your experience, does the Haartz cloth work and last as good as the more common vinyl material?
You can easily spend twice that amount to have a tonneau cover made. At that price I would get it done before they realize that they can charge you more!
Old 04-24-2015, 09:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

That's a good deal, I think the Haartz cloth is more durable material but the sun is tougher on it.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hertz will out last "Vinyl" by years. Vinyl tends to shrink beyond "fitting" and Wll crack over time. However the cost of Vinyl vs Hartz is usually about half. ?????
Old 04-25-2015, 03:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
I had mine made back about 20 years ago out of the Haartz cloth and it was still in pretty good condition when I sole my cobra about 10 years ago. I looked and back then it cost me just over $500 dollars, but I has my name and the Cobra emblem stitched into it in colors, so that cost extra.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 04-28-2015, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the replies.

I think I'll do the cloth. The upholstery shop won't get to it until mid-June. I'll try to remember to post a picture when it's done. Maybe will help someone else that's thinking about a tonneau.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

Excellent choice. Please do follow up with a picture or two.

Thanks,
John
Old 04-29-2015, 03:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, '97 5.0L
Not Ranked     

Has anyone ever tried one of these "PiggyBack"covers on a CR? I realize that it can't be used while driving, but it looks like it would at least protect the interior while parked and would be good to have on hand in case rain popped up while out.

PiggyBack Covers - Cobra Tonneau Covers - Home
Old 04-29-2015, 05:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 408 LSX
Not Ranked     

I don't want to hijack Joel's thread but I have one of the piggyback tonneau covers and really like it. It matches my cars colors and fits very well. I've used it for a few years and it keeps the interior dry and keeps prying eyes out. My pipes are ceramic coated so they cool off pretty quick and I can get the cover on almost immediately after parking.

-Greg
Old 04-30-2015, 12:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Piggyback for CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Edmonds View Post
I don't want to hijack Joel's thread but I have one of the piggyback tonneau covers and really like it. It matches my cars colors and fits very well. I've used it for a few years and it keeps the interior dry and keeps prying eyes out. My pipes are ceramic coated so they cool off pretty quick and I can get the cover on almost immediately after parking.

-Greg
Greg: can you post a picture of the piggyback cover on your car? Do the straps go behind the sidepipes or over the outside of them? What do the straps hook to? body? frame?

I didn't really seriously consider that style cover because in spite of having ceramic coated sidepipes, mine still run very hot. I use my car as a daily driver and typically need to go from car to office (e.g. meetings, phone calls, etc.) without much delay.

I'm guessing you don't also have the Lift-a-Dot studs in your car if you're using that style cover. I can't remove the studs already in my CR body without leaving a bunch of holes. Do you think the piggyback cover would work on a CR that also has the studs in it? Like fitting inside the "rectangle" formed by the studs.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 408 LSX
Not Ranked     

Joel, wish you had posted last night. I took my car to the painter 2 1/2 hours away this morning. If I understand lift-a-dots correctly, the only ones at issue are the ones right behind the doors. The tonneau will only extend to about an inch behind the rollbar hoop. Pig sends a pattern which you tape on and mark for the diminsions. I suppose you could make it right inside the lift-a-dots. I hook my cover to the exhaust bracket, especially if the pipes are still warm. They have made lots of covers and are very helpful if you call them. One thing I will say if a CR owner is interested, it will not fit in the trunk.

-Greg
Old 05-01-2015, 05:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 95 EFI 5.0
Not Ranked     

I am guessing that you could put the Lift-a-Dot rings sockets into the piggyback cover and then not worry about the straps.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Before things get to far out of hand EVERY STUD / EVERY SNAP has to PRECISELY located.
If not the tonneau / soft top will bunch up, studs wil not fit around the stripes (if any).

Just "for what it's worth."

DV
Old 06-10-2015, 09:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile Tonneau pics

Finally got to the top of the queue at the upholstery shop and the new tonneau cover is now in use.

I had it done in "Sunbrella" marine cloth. This is the stuff they make ski boat tops with so it's water proof, should hold up to the sun, and wind. It looks nice too

It cost me just over $400 so the price was reasonable. The other quotes I got were double that and more. It could lay a bit flatter but seems to be smoothing out after a couple of days of use.

While writing this, another thought came to mind. I've got the full soft top (top, bows, side curtains) that I bought from CRL, Fargo, ND when I bought my car. It's been used twice, maybe three times in all the years I've had the car. It's made from Haartz cloth in the color black. Nothing wrong with the top, I just don't use it and it's been laying on a shelf in the garage that whole time. If someone with a CR is interested in a soft top, I could be persuaded to part with it for a reasonable price. Just a thought.
Hardfacer likes this.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 95 EFI 5.0
Not Ranked     

Would you be willing to take a couple pictures of the bows for me.. I need to make a set for my cobra when I get it completed. Any references via pics and measurements would be valuable.
Thanks