Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2015, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic, built in 1991 has a 351 Windsor single 4 bbl.
Not Ranked     
Default fuel tank sending unit

Hello everyone. My first post. I purchased a CR that originally was put together in 1991. It was 98% completed and running. After 29 miles it was parked and the engine started several times a year until a couple of years ago.
I got it running and then got the clutch and transmission sorted (the original reason for parking it). All gauges operate except the gas gauge. When I took the tank out I checked the sending unit and got movement on the meter but upon putting everything back together the gas gauge does not register. I was going to replace the sending unit at the time I had it out but after going to several auto parts counters, they were unable to identify or duplicate the sending unit. I put I back in hoping it would work.

A little info on my car. It has a 351w and t-5 transmission, 8.8 rear end and Mustang suspension. The car runs great and the only thing left to fix is the gas gauge. Does anyone know a part number or make of the sending unit?
I have been reading your highly informative conversations for months and have found them very helpful with my restoration. Thanks to all.

Pat Armstrong
Old 05-03-2015, 09:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

PAT,
I'M going to venture a guess here. Been to long to be sure bUT I believe it is from a Chevy Chevette.

Your GAUGE is based on GM therefore the OHMS for only a GM sending unit.

The very first thing to check is the GROUND. IF it using just the GROUND in the CR's harness they are notorious for not working. Mostly installer faults. Permanent FIX is a short wire from any sending unit screw to the frame.

If this doesn't fix the problem just do a search for gas sending units. BUy one for an early GM BUT MAKE SURE ITS ADJUSTABLE FOR 'DEPTH'. (The bolt patterns are all the same.)

DV
Old 05-04-2015, 07:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

Call Tanksinc.com they will help you.....
Old 05-04-2015, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

I had a very erratic gauge. Once I grounded the tank to the chassis the gauge works great. Unfortunately I have no idea what the sending unit is. Good luck.

John
Old 05-04-2015, 01:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info. I had already tried the ground fix so now I will look into the sending unit itself. At least I have a starting place now.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you haven't purchased yet and your meticulous about your work and your sending unit is still accessible: take the little cap off, easily done be bending some tabs. I will bet you find some rust on wrapped wires that send the OHMS. Take an ink or even a pencil eraser over the rusted wires. ( Very, very common with an old gauge/tank That systems stayed empty for years OR ONE THAT HAS USED ETHANOL.LOADED GAS!!!
Use the eraser gently until all the rust is gone, clean and reassemble. Your sending unit should start to work at this point.

DV'S 2 cents corner......
Old 05-11-2015, 09:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ed, Thanks for the info. Haven't got around to the tank yet. Just finished installing a horn. Took me all day to figure out the wiring. Not very good with electrical but I take it slow and it eventually works out. I will work on the tank next.

I really appreciate all the information this forum has afforded me in getting this beast up and running. It is heart stopping to nail the accelerator and go through the gears.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Got nosey and read your profile. Reads like we were cousins! 27yrs. 7 months as chief det. In accident investigation. COL's Oh PD.
DV
Old 06-09-2015, 10:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 1 351 Windsor
Not Ranked     

Just wondering, are your gauges marked CLR. I found that two of the CLR gauges that came with my build were shorted?

Bob
Old 06-09-2015, 04:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

All my gauges are marked VDO. I haven't got to the problem yet as I am waiting for my friends car lift to become available. In the meantime I am just keeping track of the mileage.