Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 06-07-2015, 12:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W
Neutral     
Default '92 CR Radiator & Fan Combo Install

The car has a history of running a little hot. It has a 351W bored 0.060. I have searched the old threads and found that a griffin 26 x 19 x 3 was the recommended radiator along with a Spal dual 11" fan setup. I bought both and went to install it all and of course ran into problems. The parts I bought are
Spal dual 11" #2VA06-AP6-37A AKA Part #30102052 with relays
Griffin 26x19x3 Part #1-55222-XS

1. The new fan I would think should mount centered on the radiator. Out of 6 mounting holes on the shroud I can only mount 4 if I use the plastic push through radiator still mounting clips. This isn't ideal or right is it?

2. The original permanent mounts are only 2.5" wide so the 3" radiator wont fit. Do I need to cut this and weld in new ones or is there another way?

3. I tried to slide the new radiator in and the only way I see this thing sliding in is if I disconnect the power steering pump. Any other ideas?

When I read the other threads I assumed this was a pretty straight forward install so I am hoping I missed something. Any suggestions are much appreciated.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     
Default Some advice

I can't comment on your specific setup but my CR had a history of running hot (both the 347 and 302 engines) in stop and go traffic and outside temps in the 90s. I had a 4 core Modine brass/copper radiator with dual 11" puller fans on it.

The first issue was the plastic thru-core mounting clips wore a hole in the radiator tubes. I will never mount a fan that way again Nothing touches the core tubes on my car radiators anymore.

Second issue was the smaller dual fans weren't really pulling that much air, especially for the power they were drawing. I even built a nice shroud so they pulled air through the whole core.

I swapped this setup out for a same sized aluminum radiator that is multi-pass. In other words, coolant passes through core 3 times before it exits the radiator. I use the largest Spal fan on this that I recall is 17" or so.

No more heating issues at all. Well, the only heating issue now is that it takes forever for the engine to come up to temp on cool days The electric fan really only comes on when I'm stopped in traffic or at a long light. I've been in stop-an-go traffic in 105 outside temp and the fan keeps it cool.

Since you've already got a replacement radiator, I'd suggest you mount fan on a shroud instead of on core and use a single large puller fan. The large Spal is slim enough to mount in front of the rack and pinion even when on a shroud.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info C5GTO. I bought a welder so I can fab whatever I need. Let the fun begin.