Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2015, 07:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ex-owner ERA FIA 2062
Not Ranked     

From my own experience: Bought ERA2062 in 2005, with a 331 and an original (optional) 2x4 setup with (2) 440 cfm Carter AFBs on a high rise Cobra manifold. Messed with it for 2 years, never could get it tuned right. Finally sold the set-up and bought an Edelbrock RPM Performer intake and a 600 cfm Holley double pumper, dyno-tuned the jets, and haven't touched it since. I have about 20K miles on the car, it is reasonably docile on the street, and runs like a scalded dog on the autocross course.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

these pictures will not probably tell you much about the set up but any
comments would be welcomed.
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2015, 06:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classics, red white stripes
Not Ranked     

That's the common thought, but that's not correct.

As long as you use vacuum secondary carburetors and progressive linkage, 2 Holley 600's will work perfectly fine on a 302, non-stroked, street engine.

But you are really only gaining the visual impact.

Think about how they work. The vacuum secondaries will only open if the engine needs it, so on a 302, they will usually be closed. So, you really just have a 600 double pumper, running off the front 2 barrels of each carburetor.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

so, to summarize, it looks like my options are 1 600 double pumper or 2 600's with vacuum secondaries.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

No - Holley makes a 4bbl with vacuum secondaries rated for 390 cfm I believe. Several are using them on 289 series small blocks.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Holley has a 390 CFM (http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...8007/overview/) and Quick Fuel makes 450 CFM vacuum secondary carbs (http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...0-vs/overview/) as well. These are just 2, but there are others.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That pic doesn't look like Holleys. That looks like the 2x4 intake that will only fit Edelbrock carburetors. I can't tell for sure with the air filter.

And you have many more options than that. The safest bet, in my opinion, is to get a high rise dual plane with a single 4-barrel Holley-style carburetor. It is easy to set up, and it will run well. You can do a double pumper or a vacuum secondary. I ran a 600 double pumper on my 302 in high school, and it was not too much. With a vacuum secondary, it is harder to over carb, since the secondaries only open if necessary.

The biggest visual impact is Webers, but they cost a lot more, and they take a lot of skill to set up properly. For what it's worth, I think this website has the best Weber advise on the Internet - short of an expert like Inglese.

Or, you could do a single 4 barrel with a Paxton supercharger. Or 3x2s.

It's your car, so you need to decide what you want. But remember, if you make it complicated, it will take longer to get it right.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Can you give me a ball park cost range for the safe bet as i would like to include in the negotitations?
Old 07-30-2015, 10:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

Minus labor I'd guesstimate your looking at $1,000 or a little more for parts. 500 for 1 carb and another 500 for your intake. Go to Summit Racing and price out what you want. Not much to negotiate. If you like the car then it doesn't really matter what it costs as long as you don't grossly overpay for the car, because you just bought a money pit if you are a hobbyist. The tinkering will never end.

Good luck,
John

Last edited by MaSnaka; 07-30-2015 at 10:03 AM..
Old 07-30-2015, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yep - that sounds about right to me.

Lots of choices on intakes, but I like this one at $519.
Cobra 289-302 Intake Manifold

I have used and liked the Torker, although I don't think it is made anymore. I've heard good things about Performer RPM and Weiand Stealth.

Used, the intakes are going to be around at least 1/2 New they are all around $500.

Carburetors run from roughly $300 to $700.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Carl's Ford Parts still sells complete induction systems
289/302 dual quad with 2 -390 cfm Holley carbs $ 1850.00
Old 08-02-2015, 02:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Remember, almost ANY HI-RISE Manifold will result in the need to modify the scoop.
DV
Old 08-04-2015, 10:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CLASSIC ROADSTERS
Not Ranked     
Default Reworking hood scoop for Dual Quads

Not So... Picture of my C.R. 302 with 2 X 4 carbs on the Trans-Am manifold.
Can't post the other pic in this post ?????
Will post again w/other pic of dual quad set-up.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Club Cobra - Powered by vBulletin.php?albumid=3244&pictureid=13997
I still have 1 1/2" clearance between the bottom of hood and the top of the air cleaner.
I'm not sure which hood was installed on my C.R. as I am the second owner, but it seems to be a larger scoop then I have seen on other Cobra's. : )
Old 08-04-2015, 11:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Please explain your trans am manifold. If you're talking about the GM trans am, are sure it's a High Rise? (Didn't know GM BUILT any Hi-rise's for the TA ?
DV
Old 08-04-2015, 11:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ollie....
Do you know who/When your car was built? Your hoodlooks like it's a CR EFI hood. If so that would be able to take a large Hi-Rise.
Normal CR's Hood will not take a Hi-Rise without modification.
DV
Old 08-04-2015, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Dual Quad set-up

DV,
The manifold # C60A-9424-A was a Ford made manifold used for the Trans-Am racing teams back in 1967-68. It resembles the Blue Thunder hi-rise 2x4 but flows much differently. I put the Trans-Am manifold w/Holly 390's on last year and it is a huge performance improvement over the Edelbrock Performer RPM single quad manifold with a Holly 650 Avenger that it replaced.
I bought the car in 2010 but am not sure how long the previous owner had it before selling to me. He did tell me that his son originally bought the kit but could not complete the car and had it in storage for a few years before unloading it onto his Dad to complete.
Year of CR manufacture ?????
You would probably know more about the different options for hoods and such, available through CR then anyone.
This hood was clearly factory made , it's flawless, but I've never seen another just like it .
OKIEDOKIE
Old 08-04-2015, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

okiedokie, I like your engine pic. There's something about 2x4 that just looks right.

I have a 428FE with a tunnel wedge in a Contemporary. The hood is stock, and it has a large cutout for carbs. I could probably run 1/2" spacers and still fit fine. It has S&H air filters.

I previously had a C7XZ 2x4 on a 428CJ in a 67 GT500 replica (before everyone started calling them tributes). It ran fantastic. Very fast. Very smooth. Did I say very fast?