Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 08-31-2015, 07:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     
Default CR tail light (red) available for sale?

This no doubt goes in the stupid question category, but I'll ask it anyway. Does anyone have a red tail light like as sold by CR (Fargo, ND) back in the mid-1990s that they'd like to sell? They're 3.25" in diameter. I found an old box in my garage and it's labeled: N310, Made in Taiwan

Here's a pic:

I drive my car every day and I just noticed the chrome ring on one of mine has rattled/blown off. I'd rather not have to buy a whole new set of lights so they match. Thus my "stupid" question
Old 09-01-2015, 02:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     

The signal lamps on the Classic Roadsters cars are imitations of the Lucas L539 lamp.

The chrome trim rings for the 539's are readily available on Ebay out of the UK (I recently had to replace one of mine, as well, so I can confirm that they match 100% )

I think mine came out to $15 US with shipping and everything- not too bad.

I don't have enough posts here to add an Ebay link, but if you go to Ebay and search on "Lucas L539 Chrome rim" you will see several listings in the results.

The lenses for these lamps (all colors) are also widely available.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the tip.

I found it on eBay for $12.90 with free shipping to US. It's funny, I lost the chrome ring but not the lens. With the ring gone, the lens could have very easily fallen off, not much holding it in place at that point. I've taped the lens on for the time being.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     

you're welcome.

There is a ring of 1/4 inch thick foam that goes around the inside edge of the light housing, that applies tension, and holds the lense's locking tabs in place (it's hard to explain without pictures )

Anyway, on my car's light, this foam piece had deteriorated, and that was why the lense and the trim ring came loose, until the ring finally fell off.

To replace the foam ring, I just made a ring out of a piece of 3/8 x 1/2 adhesive foam weatherstripping from the doors and windows section at Lowes.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore_rb View Post
you're welcome.

There is a ring of 1/4 inch thick foam that goes around the inside edge of the light housing, that applies tension, and holds the lense's locking tabs in place (it's hard to explain without pictures )

Anyway, on my car's light, this foam piece had deteriorated, and that was why the lense and the trim ring came loose, until the ring finally fell off.

To replace the foam ring, I just made a ring out of a piece of 3/8 x 1/2 adhesive foam weatherstripping from the doors and windows section at Lowes.
Thanks moore_rb for all the info and tips!!

The new tail light ring arrived from the UK a couple days ago. It did turn out to be identical to the Taiwan made light ring CR provided with the kit.

I checked the foam ring on my light. It was no longer a circle but an oval where one side of it shrunk and thus the lens was not held tight in place. I think the shrinking was from heat. A month or so back, my brake light switch started sticking and I found the car in the garage with brake lights on an hour or two after the car was parked. Soon after I replaced the brake light switch the chrome ring fell off. I now think the two things were related.

I used adhesive backed foam to build up a foam ring surface and now the lens with new chrome ring fits tight again.