Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By cycleguy55
  • 1 Post By CR67rep
  • 1 Post By CR67rep

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2016, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters Chevy 350
Not Ranked     
Default T5 hydraulic clutch fix?

Greetings all. I started up the CR yesterday to back out of the garage and she didn't want to go into reverse. Finally rolled her out in neutral and it flat refused to engage any gear. Turned the car off, put it in first and started it up. It began inching forward like the clutch was in the friction zone- not fully engaged or fully disengaged. Fluid levels are good, no visible signs of leakage from the lines. It's titled as a 96, and who knows what parts were used to make it a hydraulic clutch.....SO it seems as if some folks have had issues with the slave going bad. I figure if I have to mess with the system I might as well try to "bulletproof" it. Looking for suggestions on Master and Slave (pretty sure I have a push slave but will double check when I get home I was wrapped up in multiple projects yesterday when all this went down). Also, I'm thinking I will order some stainless lines to connect the system from speedway or something of the sort. Suggestions (and part numbers if available) appreciated!
Old 02-29-2016, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2660, FE-406
Not Ranked     

Slaves go bad by leaking, if yours is not, pump it a few times and likely you are good to go. At the very least check your pushrod, sounds like a bit too much play.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I can't even tell you how many times I pumped it yesterday. Had the wife pump a few times while looking down through the engine bay. Once I dive into it some more I will know for sure. I figure at the very least replacing 20+ year old equipment couldn't hurt.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2660, FE-406
Not Ranked     

If it didn't leak, too much slack in the pushrod would be my guess.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Makes me wonder if that is the case what would have caused it to act up now if it drove just fine when last parked. I guess we will see what surfaces when I dig in
Old 03-02-2016, 01:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

It sounds to me that because of clutch disc wear you need to adjust your push rod at the slave and fork. Like Tim said take out the slack, but make sure it isn't tight when the pedal is released. Good luck.
John
Old 03-02-2016, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

The first thing I would do is bleed the system - get all the air out and your problem may well be solved. Only then would I start looking at replacing cylinders and lines.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR67rep View Post
I can't even tell you how many times I pumped it yesterday. Had the wife pump a few times while looking down through the engine bay. Once I dive into it some more I will know for sure. I figure at the very least replacing 20+ year old equipment couldn't hurt.
We're still talking clutches, right?
wkooiman likes this.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaSnaka View Post
It sounds to me that because of clutch disc wear you need to adjust your push rod at the slave and fork. Like Tim said take out the slack, but make sure it isn't tight when the pedal is released. Good luck.
John

Pulled it out today (first time weather has permitted) and the clutch worked going into 1st gear twice, wouldn't let me hit reverse then it was back to no gears for me. Going to get her up in the air this week so I can try to adjust this weekend. Thanks for all the input thus-far.
CHANMADD likes this.
Old 03-12-2016, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

SO got under to car today, found that my slave cylinder has no adjustment on the push rod. A little google action and it appears as if the one in there fits a 1992 Camaro and is listed to have a 1" bore. Only $30 for a replacement one from the local parts store, with how easy it is to get to I guess I will start there and see what happens.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Can you shift through the gears with the engine off? Get it into 1st, push in the clutch pedal, blip the starter?? If so does the car lurch forward?? I'm thinking your troubles may be in the tranny. Just thinking out loud. Stay after it.

John
Old 03-16-2016, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR67rep View Post
SO got under to car today, found that my slave cylinder has no adjustment on the push rod. A little google action and it appears as if the one in there fits a 1992 Camaro and is listed to have a 1" bore. Only $30 for a replacement one from the local parts store, with how easy it is to get to I guess I will start there and see what happens.
Is the slave cylinder leaking?

No point in replacing it yet.

My bet is check some adjustment at the master cylinder pushrod (at the pedal), and while you're under there check the back of the master cylinder for a leak.

Has the fluid level dropped at all?

How long has it been parked for?

Clutch plates do stick after long term parking.

Gary
Old 04-02-2016, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mystery solved! The clutch master had a small leak at the pushrod end, but where it is mounted it was very difficult to see the signs of the leak. Luckily it is a Tilton and a rebuild kit was only $25. Rebuilt it yesterday now she doesn't want to start even though I drove her last week with no problem. Always something.....
Gaz64 likes this.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good to hear you got it figured out. I recently had an issue with my Brake master and had to replace it. On to the next gremlin.

John
Old 04-04-2016, 07:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So turns out the distributor decided to throw in the towel also, dropped in an MSD and she sings a beautiful song now. I'm thinking the distributor was robbing me of a decent bit of power since I've had it because she runs so much stronger than before.