Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2016, 11:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default The origin of my car ?

Hi

I'm in desperate need of understanding more about the origin of my car...bought it from a dealer in Detroit...had some engine problem ( 351w with modification thru welding the crank, I think it was upgraded to close to 7 liter 427).

I have identified the few faulty engine parts, ordered new and hopefully assembling it back soon.

Is this an Excalibur or CR?

Why all the Ford logos? There is also a plate attached to the chassis, reading as "manufactured by Ford" to add ...

Feedback appreciated.

Pls add - as much as possible - any color you may want to share on the quality of the build based on what you see and your experience

Best, Artur
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2016, 12:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

From what I can see, it looks like a nice piece, hard to identify anything from those little thumbnails that don't give a bigger picture when you click on them.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

The shape of the 'kink' in the forward, upper surface of the doors is, I believe distinctive and unique to the Classic Roadsters / CRII bodies. Excalibur Cobras don't have that 'kink' in the doors.

I stand to be corrected, but I believe this is a CR / CRII car.

Full size photos can be seen here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131553629248

Last edited by cycleguy55; 03-14-2016 at 12:17 PM..
Old 03-14-2016, 12:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes full size pictures in the link you provided above ---- I have no clue how you found this link on the web and figured out it belonged to my car ??

Hopefully with these full size pictures, expecting more feedback from members of the forum...thanks in advance
Old 03-14-2016, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It is a Classic Roadster. I looked at the car last year at the same dealership. I believe he told me the car was originally from North Carolina.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

The door is the giveaway. My 3rd edition of "The complete guide to cobra replicas"by Curt Scott shows the door as being longer than normal, probably due to the listed wheelbase of 94.5 ". Measure your wheelbase !!

Ted
Old 03-15-2016, 03:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Another thought to be corrected; CR's & Excalbur were the same exact body.(Actually copied OR Built by Cr.
Except "Excaliburs" ONLY BUILT EPA/Smog 302 EFI cars. NO STROKER MOTORS,& certainly NO dual quads!
DV

Sorry, the above post is totally irrelevant to the original post. Let's not go into that tangent!
Old 03-15-2016, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 95 EFI 5.0
Not Ranked     

I believe that the firewalls on the Excaliburs where slightly better than the CR was they hugged the transmission and the sides of the body more providing for more foot room.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Venom View Post
Another thought to be corrected; CR's & Excalbur were the same exact body.(Actually copied OR Built by Cr.
Except "Excaliburs" ONLY BUILT EPA/Smog 302 EFI cars. NO STROKER MOTORS,& certainly NO dual quads!
DV

Sorry, the above post is totally irrelevant to the original post. Let's not go into that tangent!
There's an Excalibur brochure posted at Hot Cars and the doors are definitely different than CR doors.

Actual brochure image URL is http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/misc/exco/bilder/2.jpg

More at Historique > Cobra 427 | Excalibur Europe
Old 03-15-2016, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Many thanks to all members who shared a feedback - appreciate your help. I got the answer I was looking for.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

Are you by chance confusing ENGLISH EXCALIBURS , with U.S., FARGO EXCALIBURS - NOT even the same two cars. And yes the firewalls were Slightly different . These were modified to fit the EXTREME EPA side pipes and exhaust system.

For those that don't know the LEFT bank came out and down, hugged the motor with a "CAT" , then proceeded out the right side going into the Right Sidepipe. The RIGHT side did just the opposite.

PS European Excaluburs go way, way back in time. They had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO ASSOCIATE A CR's COBRA. The European Excaliburs along with ORIGINAL AC COBRAS quit selling inside the U.S. (Along with the OPEL GT) simply because they could not meet NSI or EPA rules for that time. And that's today's 2-cents worth.

"CYCLEGUY55" IF you start quoting people you should dig all the facts out first! I'm sure all the "USA EXCALIBUR" owners, especially Excalibur owners right here are rolling eyes and shaking heads about now. Notice the last word in "your" link....EUROPE----NOT FARGO!!

Last edited by Double Venom; 03-16-2016 at 03:21 AM..
Old 03-16-2016, 11:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Are you by chance confusing ENGLISH EXCALIBURS , with U.S., FARGO EXCALIBURS - NOT even the same two cars. And yes the firewalls were Slightly different . These were modified to fit the EXTREME EPA side pipes and exhaust system.

For those that don't know the LEFT bank came out and down, hugged the motor with a "CAT" , then proceeded out the right side going into the Right Sidepipe. The RIGHT side did just the opposite.

PS European Excaluburs go way, way back in time. They had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO ASSOCIATE A CR's COBRA. The European Excaliburs along with ORIGINAL AC COBRAS quit selling inside the U.S. (Along with the OPEL GT) simply because they could not meet NSI or EPA rules for that time. And that's today's 2-cents worth.

"CYCLEGUY55" IF you start quoting people you should dig all the facts out first! I'm sure all the "USA EXCALIBUR" owners, especially Excalibur owners right here are rolling eyes and shaking heads about now. Notice the last word in "your" link....EUROPE----NOT FARGO!!
Interesting, yet the Excalibur Cobra shown in this video doesn't have the CR 'kink' in the doors. It's described as "Shelby Cobra Replica Built in 1996 by Excalibur Motor Co. for Ford Motor Co. 302 CI -5 Speed, Rack & Pinion Steering, Four wheel Disk Brakes, Air Condition, Extra Leg Room in Cockpit(6 inch longer wheelbase), There are only 150 made and this is one is NR 112 (VIN 1XACA231XTM123112)" [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cJxfzE_K1o[/ame]

BTW, neither does the Excalibur shown here: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQsYDSos9jA[/ame]

Nor does this one: 1965 Cobra 427SC replica, Factory built by Excalibur Motor Car Company, V8 Ford Powered, A/C, 4 wheel discs, wipers, chrome roll bar, side pipes, racing gas cap and other accents. 5 point harnesses!

And there are these as well, none of which show the CR door 'kink':
My 1994 Excalibur Cobra (#044) - Club Cobra Photo Gallery
CR II Hardtop on '95 Excalibur (Blackjack) - Club Cobra Photo Gallery
'96 Excalibur JAC 427 - Club Cobra Photo Gallery
'96 Excalibur JAC 427 - Club Cobra Photo Gallery
1994 Excalibur JAC 427 Cobra - Club Cobra Photo Gallery
95 Excalibur - Club Cobra Photo Gallery

Bye for now, I've spent too much time on this already and I still need to go "dig all the facts out."
Old 03-16-2016, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Keep digging. . Start digging with the Excalibur owners forum CC. See how many of them have non - CR DOORS.
Your talking / showing two different cars.
DV AKA: Europe.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Your talking / showing two different cars.
Both videos and the six links to photos on CC in post #12 are all North American cars.

I have yet to find an Excalibur with the CR door 'kink'. Perhaps you could provide some examples to prove your assertion.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dear Colubra - you mentioned that you saw the car earlier and I tried to reach you over a private email but could not get thru.....could you pls share more color about your observations when you saw the car ? Any objective or subjective feedback more than welcome !
Old 03-23-2016, 07:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It has been almost a year since I saw the car but I did make some notes. If I still have them, I will post a message
Old 03-23-2016, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Appreciated...and general impressions pls...can call you for a quick chat if that's more convenient. Thanks for your time.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post

I have yet to find an Excalibur with the CR door 'kink'. Perhaps you could provide some examples to prove your assertion.
Me neither- I've met at least 5 US-Excalibur Cobra owners. None of their cars have the dog-leg in the doors leading edge like a CR car.

They all DID have the same wheelbase as a CR, and the body dimensions (aside from the doors) is EXTREMELY similar to my car. Several of them had very similar side pipes to the stock CR pipes

Here's one up in Wisconsin, from the Excalibur forum right here on CC:

more:

https://www.google.com/search?q=exca...UIBygC#imgrc=_
Old 03-28-2016, 08:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dear Colubra - am not in a rush, nothing is time sensitive here - it's just a kind reminder. Alternatively it would be great if we could hv a quick chat on the phone to share first hand impressions. Regards, Artur
Old 03-29-2016, 09:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have not been able to find my notes. From what I vaguely recall, the dealer told me he had the carbs worked on and had coated the exhaust. Sorry, cannot be of more help as I did not drive or ride in the vehicle.