Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By joyridin'
  • 1 Post By john chesnut

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2016, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic 427, I purchased it May 2005, the kit was bought in 1991. I'm not sure when it was completed! Installed GMPP Connect & Cruise 376/525 with T-56 S/M 3.55 gears about 2 years ago! 1/4 miles is with old setup!
Not Ranked     
Default LS mototr in CR II?

Anyone running an LS motor and/or T-56 Magnum transmission? I just got the LS3 376/525 GMPP Connect & Cruise package with the T-56. I'm done messing around I want to get this thing done and DRIVE IT!

Al
Old 04-07-2016, 06:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters Chevy 350
Not Ranked     

I have considered eventually going this route myself, my current set up is a SBC with T5 trans. It should be very achievable to install the set up you have by mostly following the install instructions for a SBC. Please keep us updated with your progress!
Old 04-07-2016, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just installed a LS in my Arntz. It worked quite well. Do you have front bracketry? If not, this place has some great pieces for cheap.

Ictbillet.com

I bought the engine mounts and the bracketry to mount the alternator on the lower drivers side. Everything lined up good. I also had to go with a Corvette oil pan due to ground clearance. The pan on the crate engines is deep and say about 2.5" below the frame. I had custom headers made at GP headers. They fit perfect.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 408 LSX
Not Ranked     

I've had an LS in my CR for a few years now. Ran a carb until recently and switched to FI. Joyridin' is right about the oil pans. I think they supply one from a hummer on the crate engines. I have an LS1 corvette pan on mine, it's the shallowest. A nearby race shop built my present headers. My first set were the ones I had on my sbc before the LS. Just cut off the flanges, spread the tubes and welded on new flanges. Never liked the pinch bends on those and wanted larger tubes so...
Good luck and enjoy!
-Greg
Old 04-07-2016, 09:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic 427, I purchased it May 2005, the kit was bought in 1991. I'm not sure when it was completed! Installed GMPP Connect & Cruise 376/525 with T-56 S/M 3.55 gears about 2 years ago! 1/4 miles is with old setup!
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys I have concerns about all three items you brought up! What size tubes did you guys use? I'm planning 1 7/8th" to 2" to 3 1/2" collectors with 3" ID mufflers! On the 388 SBC I have 1 3/4 to 1 7/8" to 3 1/2" collectors and the 3" ID mufflers! The lower drivers side for the alternator sounds good, all I have is it and water pump. I have not even gave the oil pan a good look, it's still on the pallet from the crate! Guess I better take a good look!

Thanks again,

Al
Old 04-08-2016, 04:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have 1-3/4" header tubes, but that is because 1-7/8" would not fit on the car. In an Arntz, the engine sits way back and the bends were too tight.

I made a block that fits between the header flange and sidepipe for the O2 sensor. I put in 2 threaded holes for the O2 sensors. One for the narrowband included in your kit, and another I use for a wideband, which can be plugged off. Works quite well. For my headers, I cut off the flange where it mounts to the head on the original SBC header. I bolted a piece of steel maybe 18" x2" x 3/16" to the LS3 head after I drilled the mounting holes. I welded the old header to the piece of steel mounted on the LS3 head. I sent this set-up to GP and they fabricated the headers from there. They fit perfect. I also had them shorten them by 1" so I could install the block I mentioned above for the O2 sensors.

I did not have room for the batwing oil pan. Here are a few sites showing the dimensions.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...d.php?t=208618
LS SWAPS: Oil Pan Guide

There is a new aftermarket pan made by Mast I think that is real shallow. I think you have to run the oil filter in a different location due to the depth of the pan. The F-Body pans are real common. Corvette C6 LS2/3 pans not so much, and batwing pans are somewhat hard to find. You can find them if you look on ebay

If you buy the ICT billet stuff, I had to use 3 separate "kits", but I think they put them all together in this kit. This is almost exactly how the front of my engine looks:

LS1 Alternator Only BELT & PULLEY LSX LS Power Steering Delete 551550

The upper left is actually the belt adjuster. This kit is for a LS1. Not sure if it fits a LS3 or not. They are great to work with on the phone.

For the T56, I had one from a GTO and had to move the shifter to the center. Are you sure you do not have a T6060 trans? I think they have a center shifter available already.

If you haven't been there, go to this site. They have a lot of good info on the pans etc.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/

Last edited by joyridin'; 04-08-2016 at 04:55 AM..
Old 04-08-2016, 08:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This is the oil pan that is installed.
http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/80...dimensions.jpg

They say "•Includes Chevy SS mid wet sump oil pan installed. This oil pan will ONLY fit 2010-15 Camaro SS/ZL1, 2012-15 Caprice PPV, 2014-15 Chevy SS, 2008-09 Pontiac G8 chassis. THIS INSTALLED OIL PAN WILL NOT WORK WITH MUSCLE CAR LS ENGINE SWAPS. OIL PAN CHANGE IS REQUIRED FOR MUSCLE CAR LS ENGINE SWAPS"!

T56 Super Magnum: New Manual Transmissions | Chevrolet

Going to get the header parts and motor mounts on order today!

Thanks for the links JoyRidin

Al
Old 04-08-2016, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What power are you guys making and are you happy with it? I already have remote bottle opener, dash mounted fuel and NOS pressure gauges with warning lights so I'm going to go ahead and install a 125hp fogger I have. Any thoughts on cam upgrades?

Al
Old 04-09-2016, 05:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cam upgrades are endless on LS engines. Cam Motion probably has more options than you can count and they are very high quality. The biggest issue becomes piston to valve clearance. You have to fly cut the pistons if you have issues. They say it is easy, but it requires removing the heads and intake.

I just installed a Brian Tooley Racing Stage IV in my car (Cam made by Cam Motion for BTR). It is REAL easy to do. You have to put in a rocker arm upgrade, which Chris Straub came out with a bushing style everybody is going nuts over. You will also have to change the valve springs for the extra lift and get new pushrods the proper length. The nice thing is you do not have to remove heads, intake, or lifters. Here is a site showing how to change the cam in a Camaro. It is a lot more work than we have to do because of the A/C etc. I think I could whip the cam out and do a complete change and have it running again in under 3 hours now.

Cam Motion High Performance LS Camshaft & LT1 Cams
DIY: LS3 Camshaft Install (a lot of pictures, may take a moment to load) - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
Brian Tooley Racing

The BTR cam is roughly 500 RWHP, which is about 585 at the flywheel. About the best thing you can get for a simple cam change. You will also need to have it tuned afterwards which is about $500. I bought HPTuners, but for the amount I drive the car, it would take a year to tune it properly. Easier to take it somewhere.

That pan is really deep. I would bet it would not work on your car. It takes about 20 minutes to change it so it is real easy to do. Do you have an oil cooler on your car? There are quite a few oil cooler adapters on Ebay and elsewhere. Just bolt it ont he side of the pan, hook up the lines, and you are set to go. Pretty easy on a LS engine.
Lightingrod likes this.

Last edited by joyridin'; 04-09-2016 at 05:41 AM..
Old 04-09-2016, 12:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 408 LSX
Not Ranked     

My cam is a custom grind from Comp Cams with 247/258 duration, 625 lift. With more cubes, more cam, and better heads, its waaay more than my old 500 horse smallblock.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

I love this thread!!!
Old 04-10-2016, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I ran a stock LS6 with a T56 Trans in my self built cobra. I used C5 suspension front and back. I had an input shaft made for the C5 diff that allowed me to run the front mounted T56 and use a short driveshaft to the Diff. It is a great combo.

Thor maine likes this.

Last edited by john chesnut; 04-10-2016 at 06:24 AM..
Old 04-10-2016, 12:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

^^NICE!^^

Al
Old 07-08-2016, 07:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

LS upgrade is moving right along at a SNAILS pace! It seems like it's one thing after another both on the Cobra and other wise! I got a mockup engine in place so we can start on the headers, trans fitment and a bunch of other details! We got the electronics mounted under the dash and fuel system pretty much sorted out but not installed! Don't want to rush it but damn I want a drive!
Old 07-08-2016, 08:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 434 cid
Not Ranked     

Here's the set of 1-7/8" into 2" into 3-1/2" headers with 3" perf core mufflers I fabbed for my LS7. Also running a T56 Magnum.

Last edited by scottj; 07-08-2016 at 08:32 PM..
Old 07-08-2016, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nice Chris, nice! Where is the transition from 1 7/8" to 2", at the flange? I'm doing them the same as my SBC but using 1 7/8" to 2" as well! I'm using 90* 2" collectors from Schoenfeld and the rest of the exhaust from the SBC.