Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By DanEC
  • 1 Post By moore_rb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2016, 09:10 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Ltd. Classic 427 #63, Ford 351W .030 over
Not Ranked     
Default I have a VIN - can I still figure out my car number?

Hi everyone.

New to this forum after we acquired our 1996 Classic Roadsters Replica Shelby Cobra 427 just this past month. It came with a VIN registration and tons of paperwork in a binder, but nothing that shows what the original Kit Car number this was from this series.

Now I just have this feeling it's a really dumb question , but if I'm not sure I really don't like to assume anything. I'm guessing the last digits in the VIN generated (as it's supposed to indicate a serial number) is what this original Kit Car number was?

Please let me know. Then maybe I can add it to my signature or something

Thanks, this is a terrific forum
Old 06-02-2016, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Neutral     

That was basically the case when I registered my ERA in Arkansas based on the MSO with the car's serial number. But, I'm not sure every state follows the same procedure - almost sure they don't
tbrennan likes this.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:58 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Ltd. Classic 427 #63, Ford 351W .030 over
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
That was basically the case when I registered my ERA in Arkansas based on the MSO with the car's serial number. But, I'm not sure every state follows the same procedure - almost sure they don't
Thanks! I called FL Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles for verification on that. The only thing they were able to confirm is the "CLCO" make on the Title indicates it was a built car, but as far as serial number goes, it's a strong "maybe yes"

Ah well, I suppose I can start going through the paperwork with a fine-tooth comb, there's bound to be something in there I missed.

And…OMG, a 459 CI? Wow!
Old 06-02-2016, 12:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Neutral     

My Classic Roadsters car was also invoiced in September 1996, and it came with 2 stickers that showed the model as "Classic427" and a VIN formatted Serial Number of "4KCDAK129TF000073"

However, this number is not the VIN number on my state registration- Instead I have a state-issued spcon (special construction) ID number on my title/reg.

I have the Arizona ID number rivetted into the door jamb on my car, and I put one of the Classic Roadsters stickers right below it.

Is your VIN similar in format to the "4KCD" number above? If so, then it might be the original Classic Roadsters serial number....
tbrennan likes this.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:51 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey, yeah it is! Mine's 4KCDAK129TF000063. Looks like it is the original "Kit Car" number issued to CR (there's a sicker on the car's dash with Classic Roadsters, Ltd. and the VIN right below that), right? Awesome, I have #63, then...maybe...right? LOL
Old 06-03-2016, 12:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Oh-how we try..........once again, there are/ were NO NUMBERS INDICATING WHAT ORDER THE CAR WAS MADE,PERIOD. Year didn't matter, sequence in order of the car being built was NON EXISATANT.

ALMOST ALL VIN NUMBERS changed at time of titeling!

Sorry.
DV
Old 06-03-2016, 01:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     
Question CRL Cobra manufacturer IDs

Just to stir this pot some more

My Classic Roadsters Limited (Fargo, ND origin) issued manufacturers ID is: 4KCDAK125RF000001

I bought my kit in either '92 or '93 just after Classic Roadsters people in Fargo took the business back from the people in Florida that had run it somewhat questionably. I actually traveled to Fargo prior to purchasing the kit to verify that they in fact could fulfill my order and to get a first hand assurance from the people involved that the company was real. They in fact did deliver on their word and I got a complete kit in as described condition on the delivery date they had given me.

Knowing that my kit was an early transaction for this rejuvenated Fargo business and seeing the ID on the manufacturers certificate of origin, I've always suspected the five zeros followed the "1" at the end of the ID was a serial number and my kit was the first to be delivered from the recently resumed Fargo operation. I've never had anything to substantiate this theory but nothing to disprove it either.

Does anyone know enough about the CRL Fargo operation in the '92 to '93 time frame to provide any insight or facts into this theory??
Old 06-04-2016, 01:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Joe,
I was there the entire time actually just before you.. I was one of the five people who were picked to go in front of the AG's office to testify against CR's / Rufheford.

Even when the Court ordered CR to fill / fix the back orders, the kits were NEVER given a production number!
DV