Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2016, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     
Default History of CR & CR II

Last week I tripped across a CR Cobra supposedly built in 1993 and purchased by the current owner after the builder passed away in 1994. I was told the car originally had a 427 which the original owner blew and replaced with a 390. Automatic transmission, presumably a C6. Hood scoop, side pipes that look like somebody welded a Cherry Bomb on to the headers, no roll bar, no stripes - just solid red paint.

It sounds like this thing hasn't turned a wheel in 20 years and the older gentlemen (who owns it as part of a collection of a dozen or so Fords from 1953 to 1966) knows nothing about it. He didn't know which replica / kit it was (though claims there's a pile of build documents in the trunk which he didn't show me), and he thought there was a Jag IRS - but a quick peek determined otherwise (Ford 8.8").

We had a great conversation, and I'd like to help him by getting him some background information / history on Classic Roadsters. I've been doing a bit of searching but haven't unearthed anything.

Can anybody point me to a good source of history on CR / CR II?
Old 08-25-2016, 05:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
Last week I tripped across a CR Cobra supposedly built in 1993 and purchased by the current owner after the builder passed away in 1994. I was told the car originally had a 427 which the original owner blew and replaced with a 390. Automatic transmission, presumably a C6. Hood scoop, side pipes that look like somebody welded a Cherry Bomb on to the headers, no roll bar, no stripes - just solid red paint.

It sounds like this thing hasn't turned a wheel in 20 years and the older gentlemen (who owns it as part of a collection of a dozen or so Fords from 1953 to 1966) knows nothing about it. He didn't know which replica / kit it was (though claims there's a pile of build documents in the trunk which he didn't show me), and he thought there was a Jag IRS - but a quick peek determined otherwise (Ford 8.8").

We had a great conversation, and I'd like to help him by getting him some background information / history on Classic Roadsters. I've been doing a bit of searching but haven't unearthed anything.

Can anybody point me to a good source of history on CR / CR II?
Cycleguy,

I built and original CR1, purchased the kit in 1989/1990 that I built for my brother. During the build, CR went out of business and left us hanging with various missing and undelivered parts. CR also produced a Sebring MX Kit and an MG kit. The way I got to know the original CR was through a friend of mine that I did all the body and paint for of a Sebring MX kit produced by the original CR. This car ended up on the cover of Kit Car magazine sometime back in 1989.

A few years later CR was resurrected as CR2 and Don Scott was heavily involved.

Your best source for the complete history of CR is Ed (Double Venom) Combs. He can be reached on the forum and you'll also find his phone number.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbgray1 View Post
Cycleguy,

I built and original CR1, purchased the kit in 1989/1990 that I built for my brother. During the build, CR went out of business and left us hanging with various missing and undelivered parts. CR also produced a Sebring MX Kit and an MG kit. The way I got to know the original CR was through a friend of mine that I did all the body and paint for of a Sebring MX kit produced by the original CR. This car ended up on the cover of Kit Car magazine sometime back in 1989.

A few years later CR was resurrected as CR2 and Don Scott was heavily involved.

Your best source for the complete history of CR is Ed (Double Venom) Combs. He can be reached on the forum and you'll also find his phone number.
Yes, it does appear Ed (a.k.a. DV) is the fountain of knowledge for all things CR & CRII, but I was hoping to find one or more published sources to avoid burdening Ed with documenting or telling the story. OTOH, I suspect he may well have done that somewhere and perhaps can provide a link or two.

Thanks.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default How to tell if it is CR or CRII

Just starting this game and have a CR that is requiring a lot of work. How would I tell? The Texas title says 2001, but I thank he was the second owner.
Built to be very hot, blew up original engine and has a ??400 HP 302 with every drag race part he could buy.
thanks
Old 09-13-2016, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

J Tubbs,

Just post on the CR2 forum what you need..we'll try to help however we can.