Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2017, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fiberfab Classic Motor Cars, 428
Not Ranked     
Default Washington state title

Hello,
I'm still a long ways out from actually titling the car but I've got different info from different people as to how to get it titled as a 1966.
One guy says as long as the engine is of the correct vintage you can have it titled off of that.
Another says you need an actual VIN tag off a 1966 Ford mounted on the chassis.

Anybody in Washington State able to shed some light?

Thanks
Old 02-10-2017, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Tcobra

I registered mine in 2004 in Snohomish county. It was registered as a 2004 "Street Beasts 1966 Cobra" which looked odd on the title for sure.
To the best of my knowledge you can't get it registered as a 1966, because they (highway patrol) will inspect it in order for you to title it and assuming you already have a Vin plate on the car they will use that (if you had the VIN issued in Washington state.)
My replica came with a Manufacturers Statement of Origin. I presented that document along with the receipt for the kit $11500, the receipt for the Engine $5667 and the receipt for the transmission $2100. They took the sum of those parts and taxed me on the total. I know of two other persons who were taxed on the entire investment and they had to present receipts for every nut and bolt. The tax killed them.
The year in which it was completed or assembled is the year they assign on the title, hence the 2004.

I am not aware of an avenue in Washington to register it as a 1966 due to the Highway Patrol Inspection requirement when transferring the title

Regarding your two statements, pretty sure the highway patrol inspection is not going to crawl under your car to look at the casting on the engine block to confirm it is a block from 1966 so I'd say that's false.
The other that say's you need a VIN from a 1966 ford would be falsifying the VIN as everyone knows that unless its a REAL 1966 Cobra from good O'l Carrol himself that vin is of no consequence on a replica
Old 02-11-2017, 05:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

In Washington state, kit cars are titled as they year that they replicate. Very easy to do. Read post #8 in this link - Registration in Washington
Old 02-11-2017, 05:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40
Not Ranked     

Do not title your car as a 'kit' car. Title as a 'custom vehicle'. Google Washington SB 5585 or search on this forum. We passed this bill in 2011 that allows title as year it replicates. Usually only an MSO is necessary, not an inspection. kit car titling will get you tied up in inspections and other headaches you don't want. Read this thread, especially TH2244's experience and the Olympia DOL contact person if you have any trouble:
http://www.ffcars.com/forums/28-nort...er-sb5585.html

Last edited by SwiftDB4; 02-11-2017 at 05:09 PM..
Old 02-11-2017, 08:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

Bellevue State Patrol very easy to work with. Let the DOL know the year it authenticates and then take to Belleuve WSP. They will look at the VIN and pass you quickly. The officer that inspected my car said he would have to take it for at least a 30 minute drive. I said "what", he laughed and said he was only joking.

God luck.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tcobra, Please post your experience, no matter how long it takes to title, just out of curiosity.
It was fairly hit and miss back in 04' What was a disappointment was the Marysville DMV person that I consulted before actually purchasing my kit. She told me that I would need to have the MSO, all receipts and a Highway Safety Inspection (which if successful would result in a permanently installed metal VIN with 2 pop rivets.) I was told I would have to bring a cordless drill onsite to put the holes in my frame as they won't do it. I would need receipts for everything, I said "Everything" and she said "every nut and bolt used to construct the car" The receipts would be totaled and I would be taxed on the sum which would be the assigned value. I explained that if I kept my receipts for everything that I purchased in Wa state then I have already paid tax and those receipts should be exempt. She said you'd be paying tax on a bolt, not a car. So..... to that reply I simply made every attempt to not purchase anything within the State of Wa. I used Forte's parts, ebay and Ford Racing.
When it finally came down to the licensing, The highway inspector put a metal decal on the frame (no Rivets) and the guy that painted my car said " I know a girl at the Everett DMV. 3 Receipts later, Kit, engine, and tranny, I was underway. Those three receipts I was taxed on because she said "We need to assign a value, no other way around it.

Any of you Washington guys that have actually built your car have this dilemma? Miss the green up there but not the traffic!!

Last edited by 40k Later; 02-11-2017 at 09:33 PM..
Old 02-12-2017, 05:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40k Later View Post
Any of you Washington guys that have actually built your car have this dilemma? Miss the green up there but not the traffic!!
40K, When I titled my car in 2007, I took the MSO and receipt for the kit to the DMV and 5 mins. later I walked out with a title and license plates. Never had any inspection and they used the manufacturers kit number off the MSO as the VIN so no added stickers or tags.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Amazing how it can differ for so many people trying to accomplish the same thing. Montana was almost too easy, if there is such a thing. I showed her my Washington title
that read 2004 for the Year built and "Street Beasts 1966 Cobra" for model. She laughed and said " How do you want it to read? I said "1966 Shelby Cobra". Done deal and since it was titled as a 1966 it qualified as an Antique vehicle with permanent plates for $86. Paid that back in 07' still got em'
Old 03-27-2017, 04:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fiberfab Classic Motor Cars, 428
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the insight fellas. Kinda seems true to form with the State and it's inconsistencies. I'll let you all know how it goes when I get there.