Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 11-26-2017, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default CR Missing Parts input

I recently started a CR build that was originally a 1991 purchase but never started. Here are a list of components I realize I am currently missing. Anyone know part numbers or where I can purchase them?

Electrical parts:
1. Electronic Control Module
2. Voltage Regulator
3. starter Solenoid

Are these Mustang II production components?

Also, missing the heater core for the hot air blower.

thanks
Old 11-26-2017, 05:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 95 EFI 5.0
Not Ranked     

Those all be Ford components....
What engine do you have in your CR? Get the components from a Ford car...

Take me for instance, I have a 95 302 with Factory Fuel injection...
I got a aftermarket wiring harness for a 93 mustang along with the ECU...
Voltage regulator is built into the alt.

Any Ford starter solenoid should work.

Heater core, get a Vintage Air simple heater unit. That's what I did....
Old 11-26-2017, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wisonson Snake,

I have a 351 W. Its carbureted. I assume ECM's changed drastically over the time period the 351W was used by Ford? I assume I aim for a Mustang II vintage?

My kit came with most of the wiring and when the Assembly manual didnt mention these components being "supplied" by the kit or by a donor car, I wasnt sure if they were missed. The guy I bought the kit from said the CR company was in trouble in early 90's as his kit was delivered, and he got maybe 90% of what was supposed to arrive. Im learning as I go what I may be missing.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

mustang ii never ever had a 351w. those are all common ford components. EEC-IV are simple to wire if you want have pointless ignition, although the caps and cap adapters are larger. Use the ford starter solenoid from the later EFI e.g. Autozone Duralast p/n F492. They wire the same and take heat better, also handle the added amperage form newer permanent magnet or mini starters.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

If you use an EEC-IV control unit it would be p/n F102 (ignition control module) otherwise if you are running points and a standard coil you do not need a "ECM".
Old 11-27-2017, 01:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 95 EFI 5.0
Not Ranked     

mofo, the CR used a number of parts from a Mustang II, ie steering column, engine mounts (for a small block) and spindles/front brakes.

Engine/drivetrain, almost everything is up to you.

If you don't have a steering column, get a Ididit or Flaming River. (Do a search on this forum as it already has allot of info.)

Last edited by Wisconsin_Snake; 11-27-2017 at 01:05 PM..
Old 11-27-2017, 02:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

actually Classic Roadsters used Chevy Chevette steering columns (not mustang) as a donor but flaming river or Ididit will work too...
Old 11-27-2017, 02:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

regarding the heater use this or one similar....works great...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-1...BZ7ZxX&vxp=mtr
Old 11-27-2017, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofo View Post
Wisonson Snake,

I have a 351 W. Its carbureted. I assume ECM's changed drastically over the time period the 351W was used by Ford?
a carbureted car wouldn't have an ECM...
Old 11-27-2017, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Helpful info, I wasnt sure how much was built around the mustang II. I realized the early assembly items were. I do have a steering column that came with the kit. And a full wiring harness. I realize an ECM/ECU would be shaped by engine of choice, but I wasnt sure if you could allocate "Ford engine" in the kit purchase and it came with some of those other items.

Speaking of engine mounts, the mounts that came with the kit have a 3" spacing. I have a set of old engine mounts that I believe were off the 351W that I got with the car that have a 4" spread. When I order new engine mounts for the 351, can you shim with washers the difference in order to position the engine slightly front to back? Or do I need to find a different set of 351 mounts that fit the 3" spacing?
Old 11-27-2017, 04:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have all the components for the heater box, blower, hoses, vacuum, everything but the heater core element itself. Would it be easier to just find the heater core? I see a handful of people have offered some aftermarket full assembly options that I am willing to consider if I exhaust the option of finding the core that went with the supplied blower box.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If your building a Classic Roadsters your going to have to think way outside the box with parts. I just finished my second CR. I got very little from whom I bought the kit from. With my 302, I used 1995 mustang motor mounts, cut them down and flipped them around. I had to custom make my headers and sidepipes. I had to build my roll bars from scratch. I bought bike rack hoops that are mandrel bends, cut and welded them with third leg. Turned out beautiful. Open the link below, this is what I am talking about thinking outside the box
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/ou...FcEehgodfywOIQ

Last edited by studebaker53; 11-27-2017 at 05:50 PM..
Old 11-28-2017, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thats great. Love the creativity. Looks like so far I am in good shape for parts. But I realize one decision to change something impacts others. For example, I am using a 351W that is stroked to 408. Im a bit concerned the supplied radiator and M150 electric fan will not suffice for cooling. If I change the cooler, it probably wont fit in the supplied radiator mount that also I believe supports components for the hood. So I see some small decisions become multifaceted.