Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2018, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRI
Not Ranked     
Default Dim Headlights

I have been reading a thread with people having dim headlights and the high beam indicator staying on dimly without the high beams on. I have a CR I and I'm very slowly working out the kinks in it. Does anyone know if the problem is with the gauge of wire going to headlight, or should I get halogen bulbs, or is the light not wired correctly. I measured the voltage at the connector and I'm only getting 10.5 volts on low, and 9.9 volts when I switch to high beam.
Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike
Pinckney, MI
Old 03-03-2018, 06:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I've never worked on a CR but let's see if I can help. Others will chime in soon.

Did you check the voltage with the motor running?

Check all connections, looking for corrosion.

Wire size to small? 14 ga or larger best.

Do you have relays controlling your lights?

I used two relays, one for high and one for low beam. I burned up an ignition switch one time using a high beam relay only.

The dim light indictor suggest wiring problem. Is the dimmer the floor type or toggle switch on the dash?

Dwight
Old 03-03-2018, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I cant believe im reading this post !! I had the same issue on my CR1 and was stumped for days messing around on your same question...my high beam light would not go out. Ive wired many cars from scratch but the problem was at the front light lenses 3 prong plug. I had the 3 prong plug wired incorrectly. Looking into the back of the bulb...the left vertical pin is ground....the top horizontal pin is high beam and the right vertical pin is low beam. Hope this helps.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

One more thing...you must have a very good ground or they will be dim.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRI
Not Ranked     

Studebaker53, Thank you so much! for replying that was my problem all along, I've lived with it for many years. I changed the wires on my headlight plug and there working correctly now. Now onto my next gremlin the wiper motor, I have to do some research but when I needed to use them last year they were all but useless, barley going back and forth, and the park does not work just have to turn them on and off to get them in the down position.

Thank you again.
Mike
Old 03-05-2018, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B & B 289
Neutral     
Default Electrical gremlins

When I got my car, pretty much nothing electrical worked as it should. Turned out to be the battery cable ground to the frame in the rear, and the front ground from the frame to the engine. Some dipstick somewhere (not me) bolted on the cables without cleaning off the paint and applying electrical joint compound.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Pasta Power,
The bad parking of the wipers...just get used to them not a big deal. If the wipers are slow, the cables MUST be in a conduit tubing and not kinked at all. The wipers could be slow because the lubricant in the tubing and cable is drying up or had none to begin with. It is a bastard of a job unless you pull the dash but sounds like a lube job should help. Also that wiper motor draws a lot of current so a good ground on that too.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR 427 S/C, 351W, 5 Sp & KMP142 - 427 SO, 4 Spd
Not Ranked     

On my CR and my Kirkham I just time turning off the power to stop them when
down. That I can live with, no problem, and have needed to use the wipers maybe 2 or 3 times since I have had them, and that was in Hawaii with the CR
where the weather can change very quickly. Been lucky in Texas so far.