Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 05-28-2021, 08:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Headlight Flasher location?

Hey guys,

Just looking to find where the location of the headlight flasher is on a classic roadster (I looked through the wiring in the manual but still cant find it). I was doing some work on my car and needed to pound out some rounded bolts that were holding the voltage regulator to the body. a few days later (before driving the car) I noticed there was a flasher relay laying in the drivers footwell. I looked and pulled a bunch of wiring out of the way but am unable to see where this would have came from. My hazards still work ( I believe this used the flasher in the fuseblock location) but I believe the turn signals use a different flasher that was knocked loose.

I know these are all built a bit different but I for the life of me cant see where this would have came from or where the wires are I need to reconnect to this.

Thanks
Old 05-28-2021, 08:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Both of mine are to the right of the steering column, quite hard to see. Yours may be different but probably in the same spot. I find it easier to pull the drivers seat out and then you can lay on your back with your feet up and head under the dash. Good flashlight will help. I’m sure you’ll find it.
Had to swap mine 10 times trying to find one that would work with LED bulbs.
Old 05-29-2021, 08:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Had another look.. Looks like it was maybe taped to the top of the dash panel.. Unfortunately I couldn't find any wires.. Saw a couple with female connectors but looks like they go to one of the lights on the dash. Should thr wires be black or one black and one white or two whites?

Also where is the windshield wiper motor mounted?

Thanks
Old 05-29-2021, 12:08 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaks View Post
Had another look.. Looks like it was maybe taped to the top of the dash panel.. Unfortunately I couldn't find any wires.
Well if you're going to tape a flasher where you can't get to it you might as well not wire it either.
Old 05-29-2021, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My hazard flasher is installed as part of the fuse block.. I can't for the life of me figure out where the flasher for the turn signals go.. Pulling the seat out certainly helped get access but still unable to see any loose connectors or wiring.. Pulling my hair out
Old 05-29-2021, 01:02 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Are you talking about headlight flashers, which usually are permo-throw relays, many of the time a VW part, and sitting after the Lucas switch on the dash, and before the fuses, or are you talking about turn signal flashers, which used to be heat generated, but with low amp LEDs they have now changed, or are you talking about emergency flashers, which are similar to the turn signal flashers but usually hiding behind diodes and running to the four corners? I have a thread on this for ERA cars, but I don't know if that would help you.
Old 05-29-2021, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm talking about the turn signal flasher.. My 4 way flashers work fine and that flasher is located in my fuse panel.

I found the flasher in my drive side footwell but am unable to find any wires with spade connectors that would have been connected to it.. Looking through thr manual again it looks like wire should be tagged 163.. What would be connected to the other terminal?

Thanks
Old 05-29-2021, 03:34 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The traditional method is to have a switched hot fused feed going directly to the flasher unit. There are two other pins coming off that flasher unit. One goes to the blinking green light on your dash, the other goes to your turn signal on the stalk on your steering column. The steering column stalk switch sends that hot feed to either the right side signals, or the left side signals, both of which creates load which creates heat which makes the flasher go on and off. You can back trace the feed wire to the stalk column control and that wire will go to your flasher. You can back trace the wire that goes to the green bulb on your dash and it should go to the flasher as well.
Old 05-29-2021, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks I was able to figure it out.. Found a gm steering column wiring that shows the feed for signals and traced that all the way back.. Sure enough this also connects to my fuse panel but was at the top and had wiring tied up against it.. Popped it back in and it was all good..

Do need to figure out a new tensioner I think but it's odd as I couldn't find any similar ones looking for a 6 rib belt tensioner but I'll spend some time on that later on..

Thanks all