Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2021, 09:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Rear suspension problem.... in need of control arms

Hello everyone. So, I bought one of two kits from a guy in a neighboring province. He had two kits he never got to building. the other kit was purchased by a guy not far from me. The kits were supposed to be complete, but it turns out, they aren't

for the front, I'm thinking I'm gonna do some mild modifications to use Heidts uppers and lowers, an MG swaybar, and qa-1's. The other guy that bought the kits spent thousands installing a complete new front end and while the work and results are absolutely amazing, it's just not in my budget.

The rear is the next problem. The control arms that came with the kit are from god know what. They don't fit in in any way what so ever. Any chance anyone has a set laying around? knows what aftermarket parts would work? Part numbers would be great. Do I need to build a set? The other guy has way deeper pockets and the shop has installed a beautiful 4 bar system.

I'm installing an 8.8 from a 91 lx fox.
Old 03-12-2021, 09:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

The upper rear are stock Fox body mustang, so any will work. The lowers are unique from CR. You will need overall length and width measurements. Especially as the stock need to be boxed in anyways. You might find a set , as several members have made something else to work, coil overs etc. As the other guy went 4 link, any chance they still have his stock ones?
Roylerumble likes this.

Last edited by 74proii; 03-12-2021 at 09:47 PM..
Old 03-13-2021, 09:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Proli, yeah, I went and read what I could of the old threads. I have the non stock ones, might upgrade to an adjustable. Hope I can find a set of original CR ones or hope someone has a plan or knows of an after market part..... Fingers crossed.
Old 03-13-2021, 10:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So I hadn't looked really at my car (body is just sitting on frame) been busy acquiring parts, so it was just sitting under the car cover. I. Aired up the rear tires , figuring I could take some measurements for you and found a surprise. I thought mine was a typical 8.8 rear. Surprise nope, there is a 9" hiding out back. I could take some measurements for you. No idea if they are the same from a 8.8. and they made brackets to fit those or new for the 9". They looked the same to me.
Roylerumble likes this.

Last edited by 74proii; 03-13-2021 at 10:12 PM..
Old 03-14-2021, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

can't hurt getting the measurements. I found an old thread that mentioned the bushings are out of a pick up. Found the part numbers.
Old 03-16-2021, 06:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 427, 5.0
Not Ranked     

I would look at getting the length you need and have adjustable rods made to length. Stronger and gives you added adjustment.
Roylerumble likes this.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

I bought a pair of adjustable lower control arms. I had to have them shortened and then powder coated. I also used the adjustable uppers. Heights I believe. Easy to align and set the pinion angle. Aligned and set by a shop with more expertise than I. I don't believe there are any off the shelf LCA that will work. So either locate some from the kit or make your mods to something close. I went from an 8" rear to a 9" when I did this.

John
Roylerumble likes this.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No none, off the shelf. As Roylerumble said the stock used a truck GM bushing. Building a new one would be easy like MaSnaka said. The only factor is size of the mounting bolt/bushing you go with. I got mine up on stands last night. i'll try and get some overall measurements in the next day or two depending on my schedule. i was personally was going to try either modifying a stock SN197 performance version like below, or a adjustable fox body like from MMR. Not sure yet which way. I have not done measurements yet, but I was leaning on trying to use Mustang rear springs (you can get weld on perches) vice the Vega or Chevette el crappo springs
Roylerumble likes this.
Old 03-16-2021, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagowil View Post
I would look at getting the length you need and have adjustable rods made to length. Stronger and gives you added adjustment.
That would be awesome. I've been going through Summit looking at different designs and options. Like the idea, just need to figure out what fits the brackets on the frame and how to accommodate for springs perches, sway bar, etc.
Old 03-16-2021, 07:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaSnaka View Post
I bought a pair of adjustable lower control arms. I had to have them shortened and then powder coated. I also used the adjustable uppers. Heights I believe. Easy to align and set the pinion angle. Aligned and set by a shop with more expertise than I. I don't believe there are any off the shelf LCA that will work. So either locate some from the kit or make your mods to something close. I went from an 8" rear to a 9" when I did this.

John
John,

I took a look at your photos. Nice work. I wish I could find some from an old kit (long shot). I'm going to stick with the 8.8. If I have to build some, or rather have them built, I'm hoping someone can send me some decent pictures and measurements. The manual says that the factory, 89 mustang rear swaybar I believe, will work. Is that correct? I have to figure out how to accept it, as I read the factory arm passes through it.
Old 03-16-2021, 07:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74proii View Post
No none, off the shelf. As Roylerumble said the stock used a truck GM bushing. Building a new one would be easy like MaSnaka said. The only factor is size of the mounting bolt/bushing you go with. I got mine up on stands last night. i'll try and get some overall measurements in the next day or two depending on my schedule. i was personally was going to try either modifying a stock SN197 performance version like below, or a adjustable fox body like from MMR. Not sure yet which way. I have not done measurements yet, but I was leaning on trying to use Mustang rear springs (you can get weld on perches) vice the Vega or Chevette el crappo springs
you have to let me know if you're going to do the upgrade, I'll buy your lowers off you. By MMR, I'm assuming you mean Maximum Motorsports? Those ACA004 arms aren't adjustable, and what would you do about spring perches and sway bar mounts? I'm starting to think this is gonna cost me lots of cash, haha
Old 03-16-2021, 09:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, I meant maximum motorsports, I was trying to get a picture of the BMR to post, and I was short on time on a break at work. Yes the big box style are not adjustable, but very strong. As a stock replacement there normally is no need to adjust the pinion angle, as a factory setting is correct. These cars are a different story. Spring mounts are plentiful for weld on replacements. The sway bar for the 8.8 will be just like any stock Foxbody, the 9" probably is going to be a different story. The biggest thing is there has been new tech brought to bear. These kits were designed in the early nineties with what was available. That doesn't mean that are not comparable to todays offerings. Remember no two people drive their cars the same way or like the same suspension set up. Think about it, take any brand new car. Have several people drive it, some may share common likes, dislikes, but very doubtful they have the same opinion or ear to ear grin in some cases.

Last edited by 74proii; 03-16-2021 at 09:43 PM..
Old 03-16-2021, 09:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

For the most part people normally do not make these daily drivers. A stiffer street ride will suffer if you go to the "track". Also beat you up and tire you out. A track setup will perform great there, but beat you up on the street. The medium is a personal thing, find what you think is best suited for your intentions.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'll know more what will be what in a week or two. i work two jobs and time is limited. i still have to fab some stuff, so that i can get the body off and start things going.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Look at BMR's website, under suspension for the 1979-2004, click suspension and go to their lower control arms "TCA14" look at those pics. The stock Fox rear sway simple bolts inside of those bottom holes. https://cpimage.americanmuscle.com/i...0_73BD889D.jpg

Last edited by 74proii; 03-16-2021 at 10:10 PM..
Old 03-19-2021, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters II, Ford
Not Ranked     

I live in Manitoba and have my cobra up on a hoist so I could measure the control arms and take pictures of them . The control arms came with the kit so are original only thing is I used a 9" ford diff. and had brackets welded on the way a 8.8 would have had . If you are interested private message me and I can give you my email address and go from there . - Rick
Roylerumble likes this.
Old 03-20-2021, 07:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I a trying to remember how the springs and shocks work could it be converted to coil overs? that could be an option. I will have to look again at my car

Thom
Roylerumble likes this.
Old 03-20-2021, 09:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagowil View Post
I a trying to remember how the springs and shocks work could it be converted to coil overs? that could be an option. I will have to look again at my car

Thom
yeah, if I have to fab something, might not be a bad idea to update and upgrade, provided it isn't going to cost a fortune.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here are some photos of the assembly manual. There are more in my albums. Click on the photo to open it larger. I think you could eliminate the springs and use coil overs and adjustable LCAs

Thom

Roylerumble likes this.

Last edited by Chicagowil; 03-21-2021 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: edit
Old 03-24-2021, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

My car came with an aftermarket LCA which was fixed and had the coil spring and shock like you see in the pic from the manual in Chicagowil's post. I purchased the coil over kit (Pro Shock) from CRII before they shut down and deleted the coil spring perch top and bottom. The new coilover supported the entire weight of the rear end of the car on the two bolts the original shocks were mounted with. I was never a fan especially when there was about a 2" spacer/shim holding the coilover out enough for the spring to clear the chassis. I redid the coilover mounts in a double shear design which takes so much weight and stress off of the only thing holding up the back of the car...the two bolts per side. Simple idea that required fabing some brackets for the top mount and installing new brackets to the Currie rear end when I upgraded to the 9". I made the brackets using 1/4" plywood and hot glue, and brought the mock ups to a welder/fabricator and he made them from steel. They are held in place by two 3/4" bolts, I hade to add the second hole. Pictures are available in my gallery. I still have the mock up and could have more made if there is any interest.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...t_800x600_.jpg

John
Roylerumble likes this.

Last edited by MaSnaka; 03-24-2021 at 04:15 PM..