Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Classic Roadsters II (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/classic-roadsters-ii/)
-   -   rear coil over conversion (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/classic-roadsters-ii/144933-rear-coil-over-conversion.html)

Sycraft 06-24-2021 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roylerumble (Post 1494198)
I saw those and had the same thought. I looked into it more, the lowers may just work, direct bolt on to the 8.8 if i'm not mistaken, super inexpensive, I just have to see if they mount the shock the right distance away. The uppers wont work as the bolt/stud is designed to protrude up through the floor area of a fox, but the lowers are available by themselves.

I have the kit coming, I think the uppers can still be used and rotated horizontal in the mount and still allow the coilover to clear. Gathering parts for the off season to try.

Sycraft 06-24-2021 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roylerumble (Post 1494199)
I'm trying to figure out what the difference between that style of lower and the one in this photo

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-MUSTAN...2470264?_ul=CR

the lower I have still retains the strut rod, the one in your ebay post has tabs you weld to the frame to delete the strut rods. Also my lowers are designed for use of a coilover, the ebay ones use traditional shock and spring mustang II parts

sunman 06-24-2021 06:51 AM

The upper in the kit is only 1” wide. These AVOs can fit 5/8 bearings in the ends
I used the stud kit only for mockup
Check DVs thread “Mounting QA1s and Pro Shocks to CR frame and axel” 06 08 2008
DV is the multiuniversal god of Classic 427s
Party On Wyatt

Roylerumble 06-24-2021 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sycraft (Post 1494204)
I have the kit coming, I think the uppers can still be used and rotated horizontal in the mount and still allow the coilover to clear. Gathering parts for the off season to try.

Please let me know how it works out

Roylerumble 06-24-2021 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sycraft (Post 1494206)
the lower I have still retains the strut rod, the one in your ebay post has tabs you weld to the frame to delete the strut rods. Also my lowers are designed for use of a coilover, the ebay ones use traditional shock and spring mustang II parts

The little tabs would be the triangles with the concave side in the picture...
The ones in the kit have the tabs to attach a sway bar. The one side of yours is not visible. Do the ones you have have the tabs to attach a swaybar? The kit also has the option to add QA1 coilovers. I wonder if they send the lowers you have.

Sycraft 06-24-2021 03:47 PM

The ones I have do not have mounts for the sway bar, but I do have the Brackets that were on it.. took the front bar off and it handles so much better.

Chicagowil 06-25-2021 04:23 AM

Sycraft, I sent you an email regarding your LCAs. If Royalrumble is not interested in purchasing your LCAs, I would be.

Thom

Sycraft 06-25-2021 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicagowil (Post 1494221)
Sycraft, I sent you an email regarding your LCAs. If Royalrumble is not interested in purchasing your LCAs, I would be.

Thom

have not seen it yet

sycraft@bellsouth.net

Roylerumble 06-25-2021 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sycraft (Post 1494217)
The ones I have do not have mounts for the sway bar, but I do have the Brackets that were on it.. took the front bar off and it handles so much better.

I bet it would, I've been pouring over forums and speaking with hotrod builders, cobra builders like Bill Emerson. Bill thinks the use of a strut rod is actually better from what I gathered from one of our conversations. In my research, the CR sway bar was apparently way too big (actually out of a bronco or something) and made the ride way too stiff. Sway bar tabs can be welded on, just finding the right bar might be difficult.

Let me think on it, find out if it would be worth piecing my front end rather than buying a pre-assembled kit. I'll do it asap.

I really appreciate you help and comments.

Sycraft 06-26-2021 02:55 PM

Received my UPR coilover bracket kit today.. gathering parts for winter downtime. Upper mounts will be an issue, may fab new upper mounts

Roylerumble 06-26-2021 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sycraft (Post 1494263)
Received my UPR coilover bracket kit today.. gathering parts for winter downtime. Upper mounts will be an issue, may fab new upper mounts

what kit did you get? Do you have a part number?

Sycraft 06-27-2021 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roylerumble (Post 1494265)
what kit did you get? Do you have a part number?

https://www.uprproducts.com/79-04-mu...-mounting-kit/

May try these for the upper mount

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Coilo...Query=91636010

I also have a friend that is a metal fab, took the diagram posted elsewhere and mat try and build upper brackets as well, just can't weld them on as body is on. I want to be sure it has enough strength to support the vehicle

sunman 06-27-2021 05:30 AM

I should receive tomorrow 4 of what Speedway describes as “the ONLY engineered” mounts that you link to
That is the part number for single
Part #9109850 polished $34.99 a pair, also have plain finish
This is improved version of what Don Scott owner of CRII did
See the CheeseSnake post 05-02-06 for Dons advise on springs, sway bars and mounts
I will post photos of the shock mount and the KYB Quad shock with a WyattCo bolt on bracket installed
Check it out, its 4 or 5 Classic chassis start/upgrades at the same time!
Party On Wyatt

Sycraft 06-27-2021 02:53 PM

I an using the stud on the top and the bracket on the lower.. this way the shock can articulate at least in the lower when the suspension compresses and rebounds. If both shock eyes were on the stud, I think there would be undue stress on the mounting points. Not sure if the axle travels straight up and down or a slight ark

sunman 06-27-2021 04:40 PM

Articulation was my concern too
I want it pretty so
Ordered 1/2” wide 1” od x 5/8” id press in spherical bearings for the shock eyes
QA1s from Grainger
It’s like Christmas here, got “Cobra 427” valve covers coming for the bus too
Party On Wyatt

Sycraft 06-27-2021 05:34 PM

Interested in your top mount setup.. have you measured for your shocks yet.. need to measure resting ride height, extended and compressed....

sunman 06-27-2021 06:37 PM

Ride height with stock holes 13 1/2” with 26” tall 255/50/16 tires looks good
I have discontinued AVOs with 11 1/2” to 15 1/2” range
Pro Shock ASB/SR5-A-B58-P soft med firm 3 way adjustable
Has a 5” stroke, aluminum body, 5/8 bearings, polished, 13 1/2” ride height
With a 3 1/4” x 3 1/2” x 3/8” plate added to top mount face you can move mount hole easy
I moved the hole in 5/8” for Quad shock clearance
Shock mounts expected today, let’s see what happens...
Like at work, unbox the parts, say whaaaat?
Party On Wyatt

Sycraft 07-27-2021 07:04 PM

does anyone have the measurement for the rear lower control arms, center to center hole? Looking at having heim joint lowers made to get rid of the spring perch when I do a coilover conversion. found some jeep ones These control arms are fabricated from 1.750" OD x 0.120" W DOM tubing in the USA. Both ends have massive 1.25" chrome moly heim joints with misalignment spacers to give a total adjustment range of 15.4"-17.5". or these pending I can get the adjustable measurement range..

https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=...694&superpro=0

https://steinjager.com/shop/Control-...Baron-J0047318

Roylerumble 07-29-2021 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sycraft (Post 1495253)
does anyone have the measurement for the rear lower control arms, center to center hole? Looking at having heim joint lowers made to get rid of the spring perch when I do a coilover conversion. found some jeep ones These control arms are fabricated from 1.750" OD x 0.120" W DOM tubing in the USA. Both ends have massive 1.25" chrome moly heim joints with misalignment spacers to give a total adjustment range of 15.4"-17.5". or these pending I can get the adjustable measurement range..

https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=...694&superpro=0

https://steinjager.com/shop/Control-...Baron-J0047318

I was thinking a similar approach. I want to see if I can modify a set of fox body rear lowers that have the mounts for the rear sway bar. I have all my parts boxed until start my build, but will see if I can get into the shop to pull them down to get some measurements if no one beats me too it.

sunman 07-29-2021 09:11 AM

They are 14 3/4” cntr to cntr for 9/16 bolts. 3” wide bushings
Spherical bearings transmit noise and vibration
Team Z recommendeds polys on chassis and Heims on rearend
Pretty sure we gotta make are own lowers

Wyatt