Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Tommy
  • 1 Post By twobjshelbys
  • 3 Post By mrmustang
  • 3 Post By twobjshelbys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2021, 04:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default just a curiosity question

any views how and why, among all different makes of Cobra, Classic Roadster forum under Club Cobra is among top 3 or 4 active makes in terms of number of threads and ongoing conversations ? why CC is ranking among top in that way, any views ??

p.s. perhaps you will say people like me opening a thread on a question like this is boosting CC conversations up ))
Old 11-02-2021, 04:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artur View Post
any views how and why, among all different makes of Cobra, Classic Roadster forum under Club Cobra is among top 3 or 4 active makes in terms of number of threads and ongoing conversations ? why CC is ranking among top in that way, any views ??

p.s. perhaps you will say people like me opening a thread on a question like this is boosting CC conversations up ))
Exactly Artur! It's people like you who just take up all of the available space for threads and conversations, the rest of us can't get a word in edge wise

Jim
Old 11-02-2021, 05:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Many years ago I posted here that the nature of topics raised was changing due to the success of Superformance and Shelby brand replicas (and no, I don't want to argue what is and is not a replica). In my early time here the discussions were often technical and involved people who either assembled their own cars or owned car assembled by other individuals. I noticed the change when a new Superformance owner asked the forum to help him discover what engine he had so he could find the oil filter. In the years after there tended to be more general questions such as what paint protection finish to use and the pros and cons of wide letter Goodyear tires.

I have also noticed the large proportion of Classic Roadster discussions lately and most seem to be from people who want to upgrade an aging custom built car with new stuff. My guess is that these cars were overlooked by the buy-and-drive crowd who imagined that a factory built car was better built than others. So they are owned by DIYers like me who don't shy away from taking a car apart to rebuild it better. . . . Why is it Classic Roadster rather than Everett Morrison or some other brand? I don't know. But perhaps the topics raised by earlier owners inspired later owners to take the jump and work on their cars.
Dwight likes this.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 11-02-2021, 07:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 427, 5.0
Not Ranked     

I also think that the number of unfinished CRs due to the start/ stop of their mfg, many unfinished kits have been passed on at very reasonable prices for some new Cobra enthusiasts.

I myself was ready to purchase a FFR kit until I stumbled onto a stalled (for the 2nd time) kit. My final deciding factors was, a. half the cost of the FFR kit, b. the expanded cockpit for my 6'2" 200+lb frame

But these kits do have a few stumbling blocks since many were shipped incomplete with little or no source for the factory specific parts.

And they were, in many ways, more rudimentary in their engineering. They were truly "off the shelf" engineering. They did not copy the chassis of the original AC frames with their square tube perimeter frames using Mustang II front suspension and Fox body Mustang rear suspension.

The fiberglass bodies were heavier than many of the current bodies due to the heritage of the molds. The first were built by a company in the fiberglass boat business (upside of which is a much straighter & stronger body).

Any number of power trains were inserted to the cars. We have seen any thing from SBF, BBF, SBC, BBC to Grand National turbo V6 motors to the ultimate power of a Viper motor (the wild imagination of Double Venom). The engine compartment is longer than many of the kits, but a lower hood does create some obstacles.

Add to that the lack of a good assembly manual and the "new owners" turn to info sites like ours for assistance! I can personally say it has been invaluable for me as I go forward with my project.

These cars were never IMHO, designed to be fast race/ comp cars, but they are certainly fun cars. And that is what this hobby is all about.

And a hearty "THANK YOU" to all that have answered our questions related to these cars!

Thom
Old 11-02-2021, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Here's my opinion. It is that only.

CR cars are UNDER ENGINEERED. And UNDER SUPPORTED.

Meaning they won't hold up when finished, if the pile of parts you actually got could be finished because many were short shipped. I suspect this is part of the reason many unfinished and incomplete kits are now showing up. The original owner has no interest or the estate is dealing with it. If you buy an incomplete kit beware that you might be more stuck that the original owner since so much time has passed and even those parts, while common then, aren't common now.

Also look at the history of the company. It's not very good and ended finally with a final stake through the heart of the vampire.

On the other hand, the CR is close to what you'd call "open source". They need few exotic parts, and most can be had with some patience.

As with any kit, the quality is left to the builder...

CRs were inexpensive. But because they could be "underbuilt" many are "cheap", and new owners are upgrading them with better pieces and parts.

In the end, some of them will have as much or more invested as would have been spent on a higher quality roller from ERA or Superformance or even Shelby. And you would have spent much more time driving the car than figuring out how to fit it together.

But if you're a tinkerer and love the challenge of a jigsaw puzzle with a couple of pieces gone, then more power to you.

This assessment is obvious to me, yet people still clamor to them.
Alfa02 likes this.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 11-02-2021 at 09:05 AM..
Old 11-02-2021, 09:02 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagowil View Post
I also think that the number of unfinished CRs due to the start/ stop of their mfg, many unfinished kits have been passed on at very reasonable prices for some new Cobra enthusiasts.
This

The scenario is not new, unfinished cobra pops up online at a price far below that of a finished car, seller states "needs very little to be road worthy", or "needs little to finish". Buyer sees low price and jumps on deal, not realizing, and not knowing that the car may not have all of the parts to finish, or is in over their head. They come here asking for advice on what to do, they are given it, some are never to be seen again (IE: 1 hit wonders), others like a challenge and will do whatever they need to to get the car finished, never realizing they are in some cases, doubling their investment to the point if they waited and saved their hard earned money, they could have bought a better quality car that was already titled and on the road.

Again, not a new scenario here, just a popular one as people are hyped up from the Cobra vs Ferrari movie and subsequent advertising of same.

Bill S.
Tommy, twobjshelbys and Alfa02 like this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 11-02-2021, 09:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Totally !

Sounds like my scenario too…

It was a good reality check, thanks
Old 11-02-2021, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Classic Roadsters are great cars.
Cobras are small, Classics are bigger hot rods.
A supersized Ace on steroids.

I am the legal owner of the hard top moulds and production of the tops.
Ryan bought Classic from the bank. Studying the top manufacturing changes and style redesign.

The Classic Roadsters rip off dudes live on today as Duchess Capital Management. They made billions. Google it up. Douglas Leighton has recently been bared from trading. The vampire lives. Duchess, Gary’s first car

Somehow I got a complete kit.
Classics are well engineered cars with the best body’s that were on the market. Made in Fargo North Dakota by American craftsman. They kicked butt at Run n Gun and DV Spring Fling.

The moulds made in Fargo went to Canada for Classic II and when BNSF cancelled Gary’s lease end of 2007 he sold the boats, walked away and left Don Scott hanging.

But...
You can street view an address in Regina Canada and see the Classic Roadsters Cobra moulds, frames, hoops, and a body.

The ownership of the 15 file cabinets full of all plans and paperwork is the holdup in a deal to bring the Cobra back to the USA just like the Sebring. No plans to restart Classic Roadsters, just for kicks

Last edited by sunman; 11-26-2021 at 06:29 AM..
Old 11-02-2021, 10:36 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Bill & Tony hit the nail on the head. Many know my story here, and with another CR even, I found a unfinished kit (1992, last one of three, CR series 1) it was everything I was looking for (427S/O, TKO-600, everything NOS), I could easily finish it myself (less paint) BOY was I Wrong!! As the boys said, Missing pieces, wiring a mess, the body was just set on the chassis, etc. etc. But with the Gentlemen here, helping every step of the way (And were given pieces I needed, most of them FREE, try that with your Porsche or Vette club ) Five years later the Cobra was finished just as hoped, a Beautiful BRG 427 Street. Would I do it again, NOT in a Million years Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the friends I made, the club it self, but I could have been driving a running & sorted Cobra for the money I spent, (First owners take note) I will never get those 5years back, go the smart route buy a finished Cobra, their even more fun to drive, then work on. My 03 Cheers TommyRot.
Old 11-02-2021, 12:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
Bill & Tony hit the nail on the head. Many know my story here, and with another CR even, I found a unfinished kit (1992, last one of three, CR series 1) it was everything I was looking for (427S/O, TKO-600, everything NOS), I could easily finish it myself (less paint) BOY was I Wrong!! As the boys said, Missing pieces, wiring a mess, the body was just set on the chassis, etc. etc. But with the Gentlemen here, helping every step of the way (And were given pieces I needed, most of them FREE, try that with your Porsche or Vette club ) Five years later the Cobra was finished just as hoped, a Beautiful BRG 427 Street. Would I do it again, NOT in a Million years Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the friends I made, the club it self, but I could have been driving a running & sorted Cobra for the money I spent, (First owners take note) I will never get those 5years back, go the smart route buy a finished Cobra, their even more fun to drive, then work on. My 03 Cheers TommyRot.

Regarding building a kit...

Too many people here think that building a Cobra is a project that they can share with their 16 year old.

In most cases (judging from the no return posts from most of them) that's a lie.

I think doing an automotive thing with a son/daughter is a fine thing. I just have a problem with anyone that thinks their first task at a car should be a Cobra.

But a Cobra kit is another beast. It requires tools you don't have and if you buy will never use again. People talk about the cost of missing parts and other CR deficiencies, but never mention the incidental costs of tools. Then you get people that get near the finish line and find out a body shop is going to charge an arm and a leg to paint it.

If some assembly required is your mission, and this is your first undertaking, start with something simple.

Restore a Mustang.

Build a 34 Ford kit.

The handwriting should be on the wall when you see a Cobra: There are no straight lines.

Start with something simple then graduate if you find you have the skills, patience and pocket book.
Gaz64, sunman and Alfa02 like this.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 11-02-2021 at 12:10 PM..