Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2022, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Motor Mounts

Hi CR Family,

Looking to replace the motor mounts on the car. Does anyone know or recommend the correct type for the replacements?

Thanks
Old 12-04-2022, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

You probably have Mustang II mounts but possibly you have the new style mounts.
Mustang II were discontinued years ago and Don Scott made new frame to mount brackets to use the 84-96 Mustang GT mounts. The new mounts lowered the motor about 3/4” so the 351 will fit under the hood better. It’s been posted you can get another 1/2” lower with convertible mounts.
Just keep in mind your pan starts to be lower than the frame and your sidepipes move too.
Maybe someone will post pictures of the new frame to mount brackets with measurements of the pieces so we can weld some up.
These are Ford Mustang II mounts. D7ZZ6038A Rt, D7ZZ6038B Lt.
The mount with the elongated bolt slot is drivers side opposite of Ford use.
Attached Images

Last edited by sunman; 12-04-2022 at 04:35 PM..
Old 12-05-2022, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info!
Old 12-15-2022, 09:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What motor are you putting in? Is it a CRI or CRII? I'm just getting to building my CRII, dropping in a 302/5.0L from a 91 mustang. Have the right motor fitments from CR, and went with part numbers A2726, A2725 for a 85 mustang, I think convertible. The bolts on the mount are 5/8" I believe and the holes on the fitments from CR are 1/2". I'm sure I'll be doing some slight mods to the fitments. The factory ones used a long bolt.
Old 12-16-2022, 09:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 427, 5.0
Not Ranked     

Remember to swith the mount sides- left installed on right and right on left side. Otherwise, your motor will be set too far back. When I acquired my partially assembled kit, the previous owner(s) had them wrong. When I went to test fit the side pipes, I discovered why the cutouts were so large. Someone had found they would not fit the opening nor would the rear mount for the pipe line up. Now I have to fiberglass in the cut exit opening in front to restore the rocker. It also caused the motor to set up higher. I replaced (and swapped) the mount with the fox body convertible mount to gain extra 1/2" of hood clearance. I still had to cut away the inner hood liner to clear the EFI.

I wish I had actually remade the frame bracket for the motor mounts and lowered it possibly 3/4". It would have actually allowed me to not even use a hood scoop at all, even with the breadbox EFI intake.

Always liked the look of the street 427 with no scoop and underbody exhaust. But too much work to take the entire powertrain in and out at this point. Plus trying to fit an underbody exhaust on a CRI is difficult with its lowered floors.

I would have to use oval exhaust tubing to minimize the ground clearance issue. And then route over the rear axle with the fuel tank- 427 S/C look it is.
Old 12-17-2022, 06:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have a 500HP 347 Stroker from Prestige Motors, the car currently has a 1960’s 289 in it now. I’m thinking about changing them with the new added HP to the drive tran. These look like the mounts I need?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ptp-6-503/make/ford
Old 12-17-2022, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapnyny View Post
I have a 500HP 347 Stroker from Prestige Motors, the car currently has a 1960’s 289 in it now. I’m thinking about changing them with the new added HP to the drive tran. These look like the mounts I need?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ptp-6-503/make/ford
those do not look like the ones I bought, but they would use the long bolt through the side of the fitment and I would not have to enlarge the hole on the fitment either.... Anyone use them on a CRII with a small block?
Old 12-17-2022, 08:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagowil View Post
Remember to swith the mount sides- left installed on right and right on left side. Otherwise, your motor will be set too far back. When I acquired my partially assembled kit, the previous owner(s) had them wrong. When I went to test fit the side pipes, I discovered why the cutouts were so large. Someone had found they would not fit the opening nor would the rear mount for the pipe line up. Now I have to fiberglass in the cut exit opening in front to restore the rocker. It also caused the motor to set up higher. I replaced (and swapped) the mount with the fox body convertible mount to gain extra 1/2" of hood clearance. I still had to cut away the inner hood liner to clear the EFI.

I wish I had actually remade the frame bracket for the motor mounts and lowered it possibly 3/4". It would have actually allowed me to not even use a hood scoop at all, even with the breadbox EFI intake.

Always liked the look of the street 427 with no scoop and underbody exhaust. But too much work to take the entire powertrain in and out at this point. Plus trying to fit an underbody exhaust on a CRI is difficult with its lowered floors.

I would have to use oval exhaust tubing to minimize the ground clearance issue. And then route over the rear axle with the fuel tank- 427 S/C look it is.
Thank you! I would not have done this. These forums are the next best thing to having guys over to the garage for a beer and advice.
Old 12-17-2022, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I bought the $17 NAPA version of those early Ford mounts and they don’t work with the early CR frame brackets.
Royal and Chicagowil have the new style mounts where the motor mount bolt goes down into the frame bracket verses the horizontal bolt like the Mustang II pair I posted a picture of uses.
Post a pix of the newer frame brackets with a steel cut sheet and we can make them and use the mount for the later Mustangs that they still sell.
I’m not convinced Royal has the newer style frame brackets. Post some pix and dimensions if you do.
These are the original version horizontal bolt CRI brackets that use Mustang II motor mounts.
Attached Images

Last edited by sunman; 12-17-2022 at 10:39 AM..
Old 12-18-2022, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunman View Post
I bought the $17 NAPA version of those early Ford mounts and they don’t work with the early CR frame brackets.
Royal and Chicagowil have the new style mounts where the motor mount bolt goes down into the frame bracket verses the horizontal bolt like the Mustang II pair I posted a picture of uses.
Post a pix of the newer frame brackets with a steel cut sheet and we can make them and use the mount for the later Mustangs that they still sell.
I’m not convinced Royal has the newer style frame brackets. Post some pix and dimensions if you do.
These are the original version horizontal bolt CRI brackets that use Mustang II motor mounts.

I used the late 80's style convertibleFox Body motor mounts.

This is the old motor mount with the frame bracket mount still attached to the motor when I pulled the motor out. You can see how far offset the mount is pushing the motor back.

Last edited by Chicagowil; 12-18-2022 at 02:00 PM..
Old 12-18-2022, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That’s the Mustang II frame bracket you have. It probably has RT written on it. The hole in top is not really designed to be a mount bolt hole.
Don Scott’s brackets are different.
Old 12-18-2022, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

these are what I got, convertible fox body mounts. Will need to open the hole on the "face" of the motor fitment that came with the frame as they are 1/2" bolts on the mounts and only 3/8" on the fitment. Hoping it works out, can't get my hands on anything else.
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2022, 07:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The frame brackets for those motor mounts are just a V shaped piece.
The photos of them in 15-20 year old posts are long gone.
If you have what’s pictured above for frame brackets yours are Mustang II also and not the brackets designed for your mounts which are correct for the new brackets.
I’m going to use the Mustang II mounts to locate the motor and weld up some new style brackets to fit and use the mounts like yours.

Last edited by sunman; 12-18-2022 at 07:52 PM..
Old 12-18-2022, 09:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
The frame brackets for those motor mounts are just a V shaped piece.
The photos of them in 15-20 year old posts are long gone.
If you have what’s pictured above for frame brackets yours are Mustang II also and not the brackets designed for your mounts which are correct for the new brackets.
I’m going to use the Mustang II mounts to locate the motor and weld up some new style brackets to fit and use the mounts like yours.
i thought the mustang ii mount is discontinued and fox convertibles would work, just flip left to right and vice versa.
Old 12-18-2022, 10:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No that’s wrong.
The Mustang II motor mounts were installed opposite of Ford use.
The CRI frame brackets were mislabeled, RT for drivers LT for pass side.
That’s what side flipping is about.
Don Scott used the same motor mount on both sides, the part number is in his posts.
Dons CRII frame brackets are V shaped with a gusset.
There used to be photos but photos disappear with time on this forum.
You want to save photos put them in your gallery.

Last edited by sunman; 12-18-2022 at 11:00 PM..
Old 12-19-2022, 02:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
That’s the Mustang II frame bracket you have. It probably has RT written on it. The hole in top is not really designed to be a mount bolt hole.
Don Scott’s brackets are different.
I am now concerned about the motor being secured in my car. Do you have photos of the Don Scott bracket?
Old 12-19-2022, 02:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sunman, is the motor mount I should use with my brackets?

Trans Adapt seems to be making them.

Last edited by Chicagowil; 12-19-2022 at 02:38 AM..
Old 12-19-2022, 06:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I believe they are the correct mounts for the early brackets and one review of the parts indicate they are a new product.
You are still tall if using a 351.
Old 12-19-2022, 06:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagowil View Post
Sunman, is the motor mount I should use with my brackets?

Trans Adapt seems to be making them.
where did you find those mounts? what website address?
Old 12-19-2022, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roylerumble View Post
where did you find those mounts? what website address?
update to question regarding trans-dapt mounts, I found part number 4982 available on amazon, jegs, summit. $53 us for a pair.

Sunman, you think these would work with the engine fitment brackets that were provided by Classic Roadster, the same offset ones that are pictured above in earlier threads?