Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2002, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster,351w 405HP
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb need advice on engine selection

OK I'm the new kid on the block! Just starting out in car building. I need help choosing a engine for my Classic Roadster.I'm considering a supercharged 4.6 with a Tremac 45, 8.8 3.55 gear ratio rear.These are all from a wrecked 2002 mustang.Will this setup work?If so,what motor mounts, trans mount should be used? Also need advice on a good steering column. The car is going to be driven daily and not raced. Thanks for your help.I'm sure to need more along the way!
Old 08-03-2002, 08:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter 427, 5.0 (302)
Not Ranked     

Will the 4.6 fit in a classic roadster? From what I have read the 4.6 motor is very wide and I have one in a F150 and it looks like a big block. You will need some special headers fabricated with o2 sensors in the collector. You will need to check on the hood clearance as well. Then you will need the complete wiring harness from the Muatang. This would be a cool looking setup but it will be a wiring nightmare IMHO
Old 08-03-2002, 08:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Some years back there was an article in one of the automotive enthusiast publications about putting a big block Chevy engine into a shopping cart. Sure it will fit, if you don't mind all the custom fabrication of special parts to make it all fit.

You can put virtually any engine into a CR, and likely someone out there already has tried your combination. Just depends on your resources in time, patience, and finances. Yeah, everybody wants to make their car a little different for originality sake, but just having a Cobra makes you very different than other cars on the street. Just having a brand new 35 year old automotive legend is going to make you a popular guy. Just how popular you're not going to believe, until you start driving it and having some fun. Keep it simple, reliable, and maintainable.

More conventional setups such as the 351 and 302 Fords will get you on the street faster, and with less hassle than less mainstream combinations such as your 4.6. No Chevy power in a Cobra please. Automotive blasphemy.

You'll get some of the best advice available here, and the first piece is don't spend a dime on parts from the shopping guide until you check in here first. Things have changed dramatically since that manual was published.

Last edited by Jack21; 08-03-2002 at 08:51 PM..
Old 08-04-2002, 04:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well the 351w is looking like a better choice.Thanks !
Old 08-04-2002, 05:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Starwolf,
Congratulations on joining the finest family in the world. You have started on a journey like no other. Hopefully your up and coming experiences will be fun and enlightening. Enjoy the ride, enjoy your new family, and welcome aboard!

As far as your 4.6 question. Wont fit in a stock unmodified body, pure and simple. Sorry. However, if you drop the motor down 1 1/2 inches, cut 2 1/4 inches out of each fender for the valve covers, (they extend this far past the hood opening) and mold a new hood it will fit.

I'm kind of known around here as the guy that knows no boundary's when it comes to customizing these toys The secret is...there are NO secrets. Sit down and litteraly draw up a blue print of what you want, then be prepared to change it uncountless times! The bottom line...built it your way! Ask for help, ask for opinions, find somebody in your area that has been on the journey and go investigate. In fact, let us know where you are located, maybe there is somebody close enough to help out.

Once again, Welcome!

DV

Last edited by Double Venom; 08-04-2002 at 05:47 AM..
Old 08-04-2002, 05:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DV
Thanks for the great welcome! I belive you might be able to help me with a steering column.The Chevette column seems to be a poor choice,what do you use? I live in Limeport,PA.(no traffic lights!) ,which is about 50 miles north of Philadelphia. Anyone from the area?
Old 08-04-2002, 06:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Excellent! Way close enough to make next years Fling! You do know about the Fling, no?

The Chevette column is an excellent column to use. I just didn't like the "extension tube" that is required and the nylon grommet that comes with the kit. Plus, if you can find one, due to their age, they're usually pretty sloppy at this point and need to be rebuilt.

We use two different columns, one with the stock GM key, and the other, the key "knob" on the collar has been removed, we then wire a '66 Ford ignition up to the CR's harness and install it in the dash.

We eliminate the extension tube, and replace the nylon washer with a full pressed in roller bearing. No slop, no wiggle, direct bolt in and connects right to the the CR's harness. PLUS, the column will collapse in case of collison. An OEM Chevette column mounted correctly, per the insturctions will NOT collapse at impact.

Another suggestion, (sheeesh already they're telling me what to do!) Throw away the "shaft and both U-joints" that came with the kit. In lieu of, use Flaming River joints and a 14" splined shaft.

This will hook up directly with no mods and will give you great steering.

Again, build it your way, but build safe!

DV --Got Cookies?
Old 08-04-2002, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owner, Classic Roadsters II
Not Ranked     

Starwolf, Welcome to the club! Go with the DV column. Works great! I've seen 1 Cobra with the 4.6 and it did take a lot of modifications to get it to fit. Headers, mounts, wiring, cutting and patching. I would go with a nice 351w, 425hp is attainable without too much trouble for a nice street motor. Of course if budget is no concern they you can get into strokers up to 435ci and make a real screamer. Most of the motors I sell are in the 350hp to 425hp range. The cars are extremely fast with that hp range. All parts are available to make the install quick and painless. The FI cars are nice but you are going to spend quite a bit more on them. Another choice would be a 302 which can be stroked also, with a supercharger on it it makes for a nice package. Just sold one with a 302 and a paxton, what a ride! Again, welcome to the club and have fun with your build.
Don
Old 08-04-2002, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the welcome! It's good to know that expert advice is there when I need it, and I'm sure that I will.
DV, can I buy this steering setup from you? Tell me about the fling!Where? when?
Old 08-04-2002, 08:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up This type of thread....

Is why I keep coming back here. It is the reason that this club exists...where else could a guy like Starwolf get such dead on advice from guys that have been there, done that..?

By the way, I considered supercharged, as a side note...it just seemed that it was too much trouble for a street car...for me and my BB plans seemed overkill too.....although there are a few guys around here that love theirs, I am sure...maybe I will have a supercharged snake, someday

Oh, and welcome, Starwolf !
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm
Old 08-04-2002, 10:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

There is a Tri-State North Jersey contingent that is very active. Look them up on this forum, and go to some of their functions.