Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2002, 08:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Post Ok Guy's...it's not working?

Ok Guy's...I have no idea what's going on? I had I guy over today to help hook it up (the engine)....he seems to know what he is doing.....but! He told me to get rid of the distributor with the module and find an old points distributor...I have no idea.
Guy's...!! I'm not a engine mechanic...and have no idea on what is going on. Can you explain...in english....what and how the hole wiring system for the engine and module distributor is suposed to be set up to receive power...so the system will work...rate now I have no power to the coil...and no pwer to the distibutor....the guy side that i needed the computor from a ford 302 so the Holley ingnition system will work. I need a 24 of beer!
Can you help....I wanta ride!!!!
Snake.
Old 08-04-2002, 09:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRL, 351W, Tremec TKO
Not Ranked     

Is there any way for you to post a picture of your distributor?

And... no, you do not need a computer from a Ford 302 to run the ignition system. (I do have a computer, but the only wire I've got running to the Holley box is to the tach output line.)

Who is John Galt?
Old 08-05-2002, 06:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 454 S.O.
Not Ranked     

Why would you want to go with old technology? Stick with what you have, points are a thing in the past.

“If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower.”

Mark Donahue
Old 08-05-2002, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owner, Classic Roadsters II
Not Ranked     

No way do you need points unless the box you have is made just for that. I would give Holley a call and settle the whole thing.
Don
Old 08-05-2002, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What Don said.

Who is John Galt?
Old 08-09-2002, 05:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Post DScott....anybody! Need Help!

Hey There! Need help with the wiper motor wiring....CR wiper system....I don't have the pigtail that fits into the wiper motor....so I just ran wires like the manual say's..and it works like the Energizer Bunny...It keeps going...and going.......? It doesn't seem to want to park....it will go on Low...and it will go on high...but it won't stop?
Can you help me....hope it's not another manual error!
Thanks.
Snake.
P.S. Does anybody have the spec's for the fuse box...what is what.....strange that there isn't a diagram of it in the manual?
Old 08-09-2002, 06:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Did you get the distributor wiring thing figured out? I got the pictures but haven't been able to find my Holley manual to see if I could help out.

I can find my notes on the Lucas wiper to see if they'll help - but it really depends upon the switch. On that 5 pin connecter ... oh, darn, let me see if I can find the notes... back in a minute...

Ok, found them. Looking at the connector and starting in the lower left corner and going around counter clockwise: #1 low, #2 high, #3 ground, #4 park, #5 +battery.

#3 ground is connected to ground. #5 + battery goes to +12 volts.

To run the wipers in low, #1 low gets connected to +12 volts, #2 and #4 are open.

To run the wipers in high, #2 high gets connected to +12 volts, #1 and #4 are open.

To part the wipers, #4 gets connected to either #1 or #2, leaving the other one open.

Who is John Galt?
Old 08-09-2002, 08:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Post PeteK

Hey Pete! About the Disributor....I change my electronic for a Points Distributor...My brothers friend is comming over tomorrow to get it fired up and do the timming. Will see what happens!
For the switch to operate the wipers...it's through the Chevette colunm and I wired it up like the manual say's....but I'll try it your way. The problem is it just won't park....go figure?
How's your Cobra.....all done?...Send me a picture...love to see it.
Did your Dad like it...I'm sure he did....I bet the both of you had smiles from one end to another when you took him for a spin....Hahahahahaha!
Snake.
Old 08-09-2002, 10:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I checked all of my notes and couldn't find your distributor (wire colors). Looks like you're going to have to go old-fashion points type.

The Chevette column will NOT park the lucas wipers. I've got a schematic over on my web site of a two-relay solution.

Cobra is just about ready to go back onto the road. Still making up mounts for the roll bar. Dad passed on the chance to ride in the Cobra (2 weeks out of major surgery). Every one else got a ride. Smiles all around!

Who is John Galt?
Old 08-09-2002, 11:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Post PeteK

Pete...I printed up the schematics from your web site for the wiper system...all give it a try. To cool...! It shouldn't be a problem...so long as I use the right wires from the CR wire harness...if I can find them. About the Distributor....for now all use the points one...if we can get that to work...if not!...Well I guess all have to check the ignition system and see if it's screwed up...it shouldn't be....got my fingers crossed for today and hope everything works out.....I wanta go for a ride...even if it's just down the street.
Thanks Buddy.
Snake.

Last edited by Snake; 08-11-2002 at 11:02 PM..
Old 08-11-2002, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The park circuit will work with the Chevette column if you wire it right. The manual tells you to ground the switch. If you do that you will pop the fuse every time you turn on the wipers. You need to remove the blue wire from the back of the park switch and ground it. Then run the rest of the wires like the manual tells you with the exception of the ground. It will work and park at that point. The other problem is tension on the cable. If you run the cable and cable housings too straight, the motor will spin past park every time. You need to tip the motor up to put a little pressure on the cable to slow it down. The park circuit will then catch each time.
Don
Old 08-11-2002, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Well damn....

Don that's a good one! I never knew about the angle of the motor referencing the park situation. Every once in a while we will get a car that will ride past park....Drives you nuts!

Thanks fella, that's a good one!
DV
Old 08-11-2002, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don,

The blue wire ... on the Lucas wiper motor assembly itself, right? If so, it would make all sorts of sense to me. The ground for the motor would then be through the park switch ... in fact the motor would want to run all the time 'cepting for the park switch being open. Neat modification, will have to remember it if I ever rewire my Cobra

Who is John Galt?
Old 08-11-2002, 07:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Petek,
That's a Roger. Manual is totally muddy, but remove the blue wire from the wiper block and ground it to the frame. All is well.

DV
Old 08-11-2002, 10:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Post DScott

Hey Don! I did have the blue wire grounded to the cowl bar. I will re-attach the wires like the manual say's....I'm sure it's the angle of the wiper motor. All fill you in if it corrects the problem...Too Cool. You guy's are GREAT...I'm glad I picked the Classic Roadster Kit....with out you Guys ...I think it would have been a bite of a night mare....Hats off to you guy!! I saw a Shell Valley Cobra today....very small ! He had a 429 in it...must be like a rocket on steroids.
Snake.
P.S. Is there a way to hook up the rad Fan by way of a switch and just be able to put it on when you need it.

Last edited by Snake; 08-11-2002 at 11:08 PM..
Old 08-12-2002, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wire # 157 goes to the dash switch for the fan. You need to run a ground to one side of the switch and #157 to the other. If you wire the relay and have a thermostat for the fan then wire #157 goes to the thermostat which provides ground to the fan relay circuit. I have a diagram I can fax you if you need it.
Don
Old 08-12-2002, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Post DScott

Hey Don! I rewired the wiper wires like the manual say's....and turned the motor..and still no park...How much pressure do you have to apply to the motor...I was pushing it with one hand...I could here the chain grind inside...and the case was getting hot....it's weird. I can get the motor to run High, High, and Low or Low, Low and High...but one of them will be the same on the switch...and no park...Does the Chevette steering colunm wiper switch work like it is suposed too. All the way back is off...and as you turn it Low, High?
Snake
Old 08-12-2002, 07:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Snake,

If the motor is turning past the "off" point you should almost (maybe) hear it. The park position is only special because of the park switch built into the motor. When the disc inside the motor spins to a certain position, the park switch opens. If the assembly has enough inertia, the thing will turn off in park but then spin far enough to turn the switch back on.

Random thought: I seem to remember, but I could very well be wrong, that there were at least two discs for the Lucas wiper assembly... I wonder if they have different park positions also?

Who is John Galt?
Old 08-12-2002, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Snake,

This is going to be as confusing as hell. Pull the wiper motor out, remove the cover, pull the large gear... it should have a small white plastic tab on it approximately 1/2 long, on the flat side of the gear. This is the tab that makes or actually breaks the circuit so it parks.

Is it there? If it is, look on the opposite side of the gear and you will see corresponding holes. Pry the tab out of the original holes and reinstall in the other set. Reinstall and give it another try.

DV

Last edited by Double Venom; 08-14-2002 at 04:54 AM..
Old 08-12-2002, 10:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up DV

Ok DV..! All give that a shot. All tell you how it worked out.
Snake.