Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2002, 01:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default H.O. or NO?

Does anyone know how to identify if my late 80's 302W is an H. O. or not? I want to order a cam but apparently an H.O. with stock heads will allow a cam with more lift (per Crane). I bought the car through a 3rd party and the info. has not been reliable.
Old 08-26-2002, 05:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Anybody?, is there any type of I.D. on the heads or block that could tell me what year the engine is and if it's H.O?
These seem to be the only stock major components... I just measured the push rod length at ~6.25" which I was told indicates a roller cam. Is that a correct assumption?

Dave
Old 08-26-2002, 09:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There is no differance in the heads or block that are obvious. The differance is in the firing order: (1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 for the 289/302), (1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 for the 302 HO/351w) The 302 HO started in '82, In 1985 the 302 received a hydraulic roller camshaft. You can convert an non-HO 289/302 into an HO, buy changing the camshaft, to an HO camshaft. From 1987 on the 302 had valve relifes in the pistons, before that some had relifes som did not. With out knowing where the engine came from the only safe thing to do is to pull the head off and actually check piston to valve clearance with your new cam. If you have a '87 on HO (notched pistons) with a Hydralic roller and stock heads the most lift you can run is About .500. Keep in mind It really isn't the lift the causes the problem it is the duration, and cam timming that cause piston to valve clearace problems. If your piston to valve is close you can somtimes advance or retard the camshaft to give more clearance.

To answer your question, there is no easy way to know what the engine aplication is. However if the push rod is 6.272" then it is a hydralic roller, Be carefull because the '86 does not have valve releifes in the pistons.

The camshaft that I would recomend is the For Motorsport B303 Or the Ford Motorsport E303 with the E303 you need to change the valve springs, the stock springs will coil bind.

Last edited by brandonF; 08-26-2002 at 09:59 AM..
Old 08-26-2002, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Brandon, thanks for the wealth of info. The recommended cam from Crane (for the HO) has .53 lift and comes in a kit (2020HR) with springs and retainers. They said the lift is .53", which now concerns me. I'm going to see if I can dig up a scope to examine the piston tops. I had a 289 Mustang with a E303 cam and it really didn't give the idle effect I'm looking for for my CRL (at least the way it was set up). A Mustang nut_bud recommended a Trick Flow stage one "Track Heat" cam, he said that with a 1.6 R_A ratio that I would not need to change the valve springs. I could use an opinion on this if U got one.
P.S. did U make it to Woodward?? I took my 73 Mach 1 autotrans to avoid a clutch leg strain eh (12mi in 4 hrs.)...

Thanks,
Dave
Old 08-26-2002, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 64 smallblock Fairlane
Send a message via AIM to W2zero
Not Ranked     

DM
He's right about the only obvious difference being the firing order. Most of the rest of the differences involve pulling parts off or getting a bore scope. The 86 HO had the infamous E6SE high swirl heads. Small valves and heavily shrouded intake with forged flat top pistons and the tiniest of valve reliefs, just a nick or two really. What a lot of people are passing off as an HO roller cam motor are the generic roller motors with the E5AE cams and E6SE heads with cast flat top pistons. All HO motors from 87 up have the E7TE truck heads. You can see the number with a mirror with the intake off. I am playing with one of the generic motors and bolting home-ported GT40-P heads on with backyard valve reliefs.

Craig
Old 08-26-2002, 01:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dmford,

Lunati, also makes some nice cams around the same size as that crane 2020hr, I've had good luck with Lunati.

Yes, I was out at the woodward cruise. I was parked just north of Webster (12 1/2 mile). I took my '88 Mustang Drag car. The Classic is still not done yet! It was a good time, I didn't see that many cobras this year!
Old 08-26-2002, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Brandon, did you say a E303 with a spring change will work with the stock head of a non-H.O. ??

Dave
Old 08-26-2002, 09:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster with 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     
Default woodward

BrandonF

About cobras at the Woodward Dream Cruise, There is a street called Hazel Street that is just north of 14 or 15 mile ( I'm not sure which one it is. I'm not from the area). Hazel street spans between old Woodward and new Woodward. The Great Lakes Cobra Club rents the street each year from Birmingham (I think).
I didn't make it this year but there were over 60 cobras last year and probably as many or more this year. We have all brands of cobras in the club. CR, SPF, FFR, ERA, Kirkham,etc. and an original 289. You can check our website at " greatlakescobra.com "

Paul
Old 08-27-2002, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

dmfconsult,

The E303 cam with valve spring change will work on a stock headed 302 HO. You need to change the valve springs because stock springs will coil bind. If you have a non HO 289/302 you really need to know what pistons you have. Some of motors do not have notches in the pistons. You might be alright with a stock head, because it has a small intake valve. But its really hard to say. All the 302's I've experince with have been Late model 302 HO with a notched pistons, or custom pistons.

The best advise is Any time you change your camshaft you should check your piston to valve clearance.

Cobra427mnsi

I know the spot your talking about. I didn't make it up there this year ethier. I years past it seemed like every one and there brother where driving cobras up and down Woodward.
Old 08-27-2002, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Brandon, I verified my pistons do not have the valve reliefs. You think the E303 cam may cause a prob with the 1.6 R/A ratio?

Dave
Old 08-27-2002, 10:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dmford

The E303 cams intake valve is .050 open @ 0 degrees BTDC (before top dead center), so the valve is going to be chasing the piston. You maybe ok. Installing the cam 2 degrees retarded will help. You may want to give the ford motorsport tech line a call. (586) 468-1356. or you could call the Crane cams tech line, as they actually make the E303 cam for ford. Crane markets the E303 cam under the #2040.

I think it will work, but you might want to get the opinion of an expert!
Old 08-27-2002, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Talked to Ford_Racing tech_supp. He said for my non-H.O 302 which was determined by firing order and flat piston (he said you could have an 86 H.O. with a flat piston?), I could use an E303 cam with the E6SE head if I changed the springs and made em 1.82".
Thanks fer yer help
Dave