Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2001, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Just got convertible top from CR. I need to know if there's any tips or shortcuts to installing this thing, I would hate to drill holes in my body, all to find out their two inches off. Any kind of Advice would be appreciated.

I noticed that the t-nuts that go in the windshield frame stick up above the frame, so how do they hold on the top?. Also those stainless tubing pieces are to be Epoxied to the Body? They don't specify what kind of epoxy, and it seems that they should look a little more finished, for something that's gonna show.

Thanks,

Scott
Old 04-12-2001, 04:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owner, Classic Roadsters II
Not Ranked     
Scott, I follow the manual pretty close when I install the top. The measurements they give you are correct for marking the center of the car and the starting location. Once the first few snaps are in where they tell you then you place the rest by eye. I try and keep the snaps in-line so the curve is symetrical from side to side. The pins in the top of the windshield hold the top plate in position, the latches hold the top down. This will all be clear once you start. The stainless tubes you place in the doors and body can be polished on the ends. I don't always use them. I place a trim ring around the hole and use the wood blocks that are in the doors and body. This gives me a little play in the bows and side curtains which allows an easier install and removal. I drill the holes for the top snaps (pins) with the proper size drill then I countersink the hole a little. This stops the paint from chipping when you screw in the snap. The main thing is to follow the manual and take your time. It's not as hard as it looks.
Don
Old 04-12-2001, 05:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
You might take a look at the ferrules suplied by Finishline. They provide a much more finished appearance.

For my own CR I had to drill out the id in order to accept the side curtains supplied by Classic.
Old 04-12-2001, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owner, Classic Roadsters II
Not Ranked     
I bought a set of the Finish Line ferrules but they were made for a flat top door. The Classic door has a slight bevel to it so the ferrules won't fit flush. I don't know of any others that will work. If someone has found something please let me know. What I use is a door lock trim ring from a 70's vintage GM pickup. It's a chrome ring with a felt insert that I epoxy in place. I think they look pretty good. The other thing I've seen people use is a small polished stainless washer over the hole. It looks pretty good to.
Don
Old 04-13-2001, 12:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thanks BJ and Don, I will take your advice and measure twice. I was going to make some aluminum ferrules out of billet stock, and hold in place with BMS 5-95, but the chevy door lock trim rings sound good.

Scott
Old 08-16-2001, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 575 with Shelby Aluminum 427 Stroked to 468
Not Ranked     
Default adjusting the bow

Installing the top does seem a bit daunting, especially when you consider that the top you purchase may have directions for a cobra body that is slightly different from the car you own. The center drill marking was accurate in my case as well. I brought my car and top to a professional convertible top guy that had 30 years experience (non cobra though), he made the markings and inserted the holes for the ferrules. However he was unable to get comfort with the way the top lay across the bows. On my top, on the inside, there are velcro flaps that wrap the bows into. This was the big problem, the positioning of these flaps made the top actually lay too flat against the rear deck, so i positioned the bow where I thought it looked best (I'm talking about the linkage for the second bow to the main bow where there is one bolt and nut per side) and then cranked down on the nuts. The bow now only ties into one of the velcro flaps but it looks right. The problem that I still have is getting the front of the top to bond to the black windshield bars. I am going to get some contact cement from my top guy but he was not a big believer in glue holding in the absense of some kind of mechanical type fastening of the top material to the front bars. Any other suggestions for fastening the top down in the front would be appreciated. My convertible top installation can be seen at the following:

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...b4230000000420

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...b4250000001420

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...35160000001420

any advice and criticism is welcomed. i know my top will never accomodate the roll bar but in order for that to happen the rear windshield would have to have a 0 degree slope and i don't really care for that look, and the roll bar also has to be fairly low in order for there to be adequate clearance which my car would not accomodate.

thanks to all.