Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2003, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 351 Windsor 405 HP
Not Ranked     
Angry Dash cover material

Don,
Finally got dash material,guess what it doen't fit ,needs to be 2 inches wider!!! I give up! Local upolsterer will make a new one
but it'll cost me !!
Art
Old 01-23-2003, 07:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owner, Classic Roadsters II
Not Ranked     

Art, Was the material for a custom dash? Don't buy new stuff, I'll see what I can do.
Don
Old 01-23-2003, 07:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Art, I just talked to Pete. He's checking to see what was shipped. He will call me back this morning and get some new material shipped.
Don
Old 01-23-2003, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Art
My experience is that the dash on most of our cars is wider than the std. width of most rolls of material
Therefore one has to order it in a sufficient length to cover the needed width. The bonus is that there is plenty of extra for door panels etc.
Tim

Last edited by Whaler; 01-23-2003 at 08:33 AM..
Old 01-23-2003, 12:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don,
Pete called and said they have been making these covers for
12 years the same way. I went to the upholsterer yesterday
and saw what he was talking about,material was shy about 1 to 2 inches to make it fit properly? Also cover had a pronounced
crease running right down the middle that couldn't be streched out. I told Pete they should make them a little wider and he said they doubt they could do that. No matter I'm having new one made to fit. Nicer material too! Did my driveshaft come in?
Art
Old 01-23-2003, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Art, I had trouble locating the trans yoke but I did find one. Shaft should be here soon.
Don
Old 01-27-2003, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don,
Dash is back from upolsterer and it is gorgeous. I mounted all of the gauges and switches etc. It will be the envy of all my Cobra buddies. Oh yeah, it only cost $370 !!!!
Art
Old 01-27-2003, 01:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Art, I'm glad it turned out ok. You should ask Pete for some kind of credit after all your trouble!
Don
Old 02-02-2003, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Art, this may be a silly question but did you pre- fit your fiberglass dash in the body before you wrapped it. CR sends them out and they are to wide for the opening. you have to trim them to fit each car. Steven S.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have the custom dash.It seems to fit on the cowl bar just fine.
I haven't put the body on the car yet,but I didn't read any instructions about trimming it??? Is this another surprise from CL?
Hope not cause new cover looks gorgeous!
Old 03-16-2003, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Angry Dash would not fit into car with body

This might not be your only problem. I had the same problem with the custum dash. I had to stretch the fabric to get it to fit. But today I tried fitting the dash into the car with the body on. It was 2 inches to wide. The ends need to be trimmed down an inch on each side. It fit fine with out the body.

Like you I have not found anything in the manual about triming. From the pictures in the manual there dash was trimed more than mine. My guess they did not trim enough off after removing from the fibergalss mold. At least I can trim it down. Better than to small.

This is just one of many things that does fit easily. I have had to cut, bend and trim just about everything.

Good luck.
Doug
Old 05-18-2003, 09:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Has anyone tried a wood dash?

Seems that you could buy a piece of oak or something and really dress it up nice for well under $100.00. That is what I was planning. Any advice?
Old 05-18-2003, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It would be pretty hard to bend oak veneer on custom dash.
I've seen wood on the std. dash I think it looks tacky! The stuff the upolsterer put on is really thick and looks great. Check my gallery!
Old 05-18-2003, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I never realized the dash had a bend to it. As I only have the frame part of a kit thus far, I appreciate your foresight.
Old 05-18-2003, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I said earlier I thought wood dashes were tacky,that's just my opinion. If you're building the car make it the way you like it. It was presumptous of me to say anything ,sorry!
Old 05-18-2003, 09:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, 351 Sportsman
Not Ranked     

Art,

What is the actual material on the dash (leather?) and how much padding was adding before the covering material was applied?
Old 05-19-2003, 07:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I guess it's vinyl.A quater inch thick padding was sent by Classics
with the original dash material. Most shops have it or craft stores.
I cut the dash holes first when I figured out dash display. Then the padding was glued on and after it was dry I cut the holes out and then the vinyl was glued over that. The reason I took it to the upolsterer was it's hard getting the edges to line up and stay in place and the curves on my dash make it even harder for
a novice to do. Once I got it home I cut out the holes per the instructions in the manual. Take my advice and make the holes a tiny bit larger than needed when you cut the fiberglas, then the
gauges will fit better with the material is pushed in. When you cut
x'es in the cover don't cut all the way to the edge. Look at my gallery and click on dash you'll see how it's supposed to look when complete.
Old 05-19-2003, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Hubris in action. "We've been making them this way for 12 years, and never had any problems." Nonsense. Had to buy 3 dash covers to get one that was long enough...just.

You're probably better off taking the dash shell to an upholstery shop and having one made. Same for the tonneau cover.

Happen to like old English sports cars with wood dash inlays. Just not walnut. Used a Zebrawood veneer over 1/8" plywood backing and added a dark red stain to it. Effect is a red and black striped wood dash inlayed into the black vinyl. Most people who see it, like it.
Old 05-19-2003, 09:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster with 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

Art
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but if it is done right, a wood dash looks great. Check out my gallery. Pete at CR asked me if I would make dashes for them at DVSF I.

Paul
Old 05-20-2003, 04:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

This is not good! YES, the dash has to be trimmed to fit each car!
NO it isn't in the manual, but hopefully it will be!

When it is trimmed about the widest edge you will have at each corner will be approximately +/- 1/4", not the plus inch as the dash is sent.

The wrinkel(s) will come out completely by laying them flat for a day or two before installing. On a really hard crease a hair dryer used lightly will help.

A strong tip on gluing the dash pad: First wash the dash with hot soapy water, lacquer thinner or better yet acetone. This is to remove the mold release. Then sand with 80 to 120 grit paper-every bit of it! If you really want to make sure your glue never lets go, then prime it, sand with 400 wet or dry, clean again and then, and only then install the foam.

We've learned this the hard way, but ever since we have gone to this method we have not had one "bubble" come up.

DV..they can be a pain in the arse!