Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2003, 01:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR SLC, Graziano 6-spd, LS3
Not Ranked     
Question Making a Lemans fuel cap safe?

DV,

In the insurance thread on FFCobra, you mentioned that there is an easy way to modify a Lemans gas cap to make it safe. Please elaborate - I want to make mine safe!

Thanks,
Pete
Old 02-03-2003, 03:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

What? You mean there NOT safe?

Ernie
Old 02-03-2003, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

If you get a fuel cell with a bladder and foam, as you should, it ought to have a one way valve on the filler and on the filler vent. Otherwise when your cobra flips over, gas will get to pour out the 2" diam hole, then get ignited by the sparks from your rollbar as you skid upside down onto the infield. The easy way is to insert a plastic locking gas cap into the lemans assy, look at a newer SPF to see what I mean by that.
Old 02-03-2003, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter #28; 396 Cleveland stroker; more than 495 HP; TKO 5 speed
Not Ranked     

How about some specifics.
I don't have a SPF to look at!
I have a finishline cap that I would like to make a safe as possible.

gn
Old 02-03-2003, 04:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

ERA has started putting a locking cap underneath the LeMans cap similar to what you'd find on productin car (althought their cap is metal, not plactic). This way you can screw it down close, the LeMans cap and not worry.

Maybe Bob Putnam can post a pic?? Bob you there??

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 02-03-2003, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

Basically it's just a plastic fill spout shoved into place, with a locking gas cap on it, all of it fits under the lemans latch and you wouldn't know it was there.
Old 02-03-2003, 04:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Mr. Fixit-
That's the idea, but I think the whole assembly was metal. But I could be wrong, I only looked at it for a second.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 02-03-2003, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

To be road legal in Australia there has to be a non venting cap under the LeMans filler cap (just one of the many registration requirements). It also has to have the restrictor and flap in it so you can only use unleaded fuel. The filler neck also has to be vented to a carbon canister.

I think the big safety issue is that in a roll over the LeMans cap could pop open and dump fuel everywhere.

I'm in the process of machining out the center of the boss on my cap to fit all this in. I've done one before so it isn't too much of a hassle. I'll post some pics when I get it finished.

We must really love these cars down here to go through all this stuff to get one on the road.

Cheers

Old 02-03-2003, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Mr. Fixit!
SPF started machining a double threaded insert for their lemans caps in 1998 (?), right after it was their car that flipped at Run N Gun, ripping loose the cap, igniting and almost resulting in fatal injuries to the driver.

This is nothing against SPF, but rather a, "Jolly good job!" This could have happened to any number of different Cobras. SPF addressed the problem and came up with a solution!

They immediately came up with a machined insert that would screw into the lemans cap, then an OEM cap would screw into it!

Fuel cell? I'm all for it, but at close to a grand per for a "real" fuel cell, I don't see many people dropping the cash. A simple plastic gas tank posing as a "fuel cell" to me, is no better than a good qualty steel tank, surrounded by steel frame.

PSB, sorry to take so long to answer your questions. The Fling III, the new Insurance threads, and with the business, I am running full tilt!

To make a cheap, simple and safe fule entry apparatus, or simply called a gas cap:

Go to almost any auto dealership, Ford, GM, Chrsyler, OR for about 5 bucks your local salvage yard. I suggest a FORD SUV, or Dodge VANS. Remove the fuel insert, with cap. Find one that is a plastic insert or liner. Should unsrcew by simply removing four or five small bolts/screws.

Modify the inside collar of the lemans cap by simply grinding it out. Grind out enough that the lip that holds the cap will fit in. Insert from the bottom! Then simply adjust the lemans cap center screw to close. Two things may help you with a "fitment" problem. The screw will have to be ground to far, or you will have to cut a notch in the actual fuel cap for clearance.

If by chance you cut the cap out to far and actualy cut through, throw it away, right after you go to the local parts store and ask the guy for a variety of caps until you find one with a lower center section.

That's it. Short simple, cheap and very, very safe.

DV..now answer the question! How many of you are running a functional neutral safety switch!
Old 02-03-2003, 07:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The Excalibur had that covered. Open the flip top and UNSCREW the standard Ford gas cap connected to the "charcoal" filter mounted just ahead of the front tire.

So,,,there I was doing SCCA one day and the dam Charcoal cannister fell out, I runned over it, squirting gas everywhere and shredding plastic like crazy! Amazing it didn't catch fire. Lord knows I've had SOME fires in my time.........

,,,,must have been that screw I took out to put in the brake cooling duct work,,,,,you think? LOL

Ernie
Old 02-04-2003, 02:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon, windsor 408 stroker, tremec. Also GSX008
Not Ranked     

DV - And how may people have their electric fuel pumps wired through an engine oil pressure switch??

Another easy way to get yourself hurt.
Old 02-04-2003, 03:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Aussie Mike, I believe Don Pilling at Snake Bite in Queensland has them ready to go for about $70.00.

Anything is possible (if you can justify throwing bucket loads of money at it!).
Old 02-04-2003, 04:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Andy,

I machined out a cap for Adrian S and fitted one of Don's adapters. I think Adrian had sourced the cap and the adapter seperately. Turned out pretty good but the only problem was that there is no provision for a vent tube in the adapter neck. Adrian had to get a tube welded in later.

Cheers

Old 02-05-2003, 04:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Its funny how not many things that go into a Cobra fit without being modified! Thats great that your one worked. Cant wait to see your car!

Andy.

Anything is possible (if you can justify throwing bucket loads of money at it!).
Old 02-05-2003, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Andy,

I've never hear a truer thing.

I've got to get out and catch up with you guys. Do you get down to Doug's workshop often?

Cheers

Old 02-14-2003, 03:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, every couple of nights I am down there, and some saturdays.
I will e-mail you my number. Hope to see you soon.

Old 02-14-2003, 03:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

I've ordered this, get the TC-Cap and 1TN, have it welded in.

http://www.streetrodcatalog.com/manu...ngs-caps.shtml

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.