Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2003, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Questions for anyone???

0. I am installing an IDIDIT steering column instead of the chevette column. Does anyone know how far the top of the column extends past the front of the cowl hoop?

1. Did your kits come with radiator brackets? I have the square frame, but the directions mention mounts and rubber inserts like I should know what they are talking about??? Also, after the body is on, will I be able to pour fluids into the radiator cap? Or do I want to get a filler tube in the top hose?
2. Where should I mount the electric fuel pump??? I have heard as close to the fuel tank as possible, but I am nervous about an electric device so close to 19 gallons of high octane fuel. Anyone have opinion?
3. The manual mentions running a ground strap to the engine block in passenger side motor mount. I am not having the best luck in finding one. Any ideas where to find ground straps? Also did anyone ground anything other that block to frame? A local speed shop recommended grounding the chassis to the frame. (don't know if they realized this is a fiberglass body?). Would a braided battery cable work?

Just installed foot pedals, power steering, power brakes, and drilled main fuse block yesterday. I am starting to enjoy working on this car.

PS. Petek, I went through your Cobra build site. It was awesome. You must have spent as much time building the site and documenting as you did building the car. Thank you for your effort.
Old 05-27-2003, 01:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRL, 351W, Tremec TKO
Not Ranked     

Thanks Hawk.

In answer to your questions:
0... far enough so the tilt lever clears the dash. (Not much of an
answer, I know).

1... there should be some rubber "C" shapped thingies (technical term). Use an in-line filler.

2... I mounted mine on the passenger's side right next to the fuel tank on a bracket I made.

3... any thick battery cable will work. Just make sure you get cable ends that you can pass a bolt through.

Who is John Galt?
Old 05-27-2003, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 351 Windsor 405 HP
Not Ranked     

My Ididit column goes all the way into the cut out on custom dash
keep it out just enough to work the tilt feature. You'll have to fabricate a way to hold it in place. I use a 1/2 inch thick piece of
plate bolted to the cowl bar and then threaded rod with muffler clamps to position it. Seems very sturdy.
Old 05-28-2003, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cobra Hawk,
You can't have too many grounds. I added extra grounds under the dash as well as a braided ground from the engine to the frame. Electric fuel pump should be close to the tank with a good fuel filter between the tank and pump. Be sure to mount the filter where you can easily remove the filter from the bottom, after the body is on.
Ditto on other comments on radiator and steering column.
GaryUnc
Old 05-28-2003, 07:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thank you gentlemen

Thanks to both of you for the info.
Art,
How did you dress up your steering column. I wish I would have purcased the fully chrome column. Now I have a steel column that is untreated and started showing a little rust at one time. I haven't decided if I should paint it or try to buff it up somehow and clear coat it. I would love it chromed, but I believe the internal components would melt. Any ideas how to shine this up???
Old 05-28-2003, 09:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Also have Ididit tilt steel column. Paint it rattle can wrinkle black and it will match the steering wheel Lecarra mount. Use CR upper column mount under dash. Use 2" muffler clamp at column firewall exit to eliminate any column movement whatsoever.

Ground battery directly to the starter. Then from the starter to the frame. The frame should be a secondary ground. All grounds should be wired primarily to a central (non-frame) wired ground return to the battery ground (similar to household wiring) for a fiberglass car with the frame being only a redundant ground.