Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2003, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 95 EFI 5.0
Not Ranked     
Default Gonna make my dash in a couple of days, need advice for gauge layout (pics r nice)

Looking at the recommended gauge layout from CR, I think there would be ease of sight issues...
Are there??? Where you recommend to place the gauges???
Thanks.
Old 06-16-2003, 12:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't know about CR, but here's a link I found useful.

Authentic Dash Guidelines
Old 06-16-2003, 12:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRL, 351W, Tremec TKO
Not Ranked     

Make up some drawings of your gauges (or simply photo copy and cut-out the gauge faces), put some tape on the back of the cut-outs and give 'em a try.

I ended up putting all of my gauges in the center of the dash. Putting the gauges in the "standard" location wasn't an option as I cut the bottom of the dash up to give my legs some room. And besides, the "standard" location does a great job hiding the gauges behind the steering wheel.

Remember, every car is different and every driver is different. Where the gauges work good for me might not work good for your.

Who is John Galt?
Old 06-16-2003, 04:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Ditto Petek's suggestion.

The CR instrument layout is perhaps the worst place to put gauges because you can't see them while you're driving.

Here is another example of originality vs practicality. I wanted clearly visible gauges using peripheral vision without taking my eyes off the road. And I wanted the priority of observation relative to priority of importance of the information when I needed it. In the following order of decreasing priority is; speedo, tach, oil pressure, water temp, volts, and fuel level.

Another issue is originality vs reliability. Smiths gauges have the worst reputation for reliability, and Autometers, the best.

Used Autometer Sport Comp 5" speedo (160MPH), & tach (8,000 RPM). "Z" Series oil, temp, volts, fuel. Looks factory, but nowhere close to original.

And they didn't come without teething problems. Speedo has 1/8" pin drive on one end, 3/16" on the other. Had to make a pin. Faulty fuel sender blew out fuel gauge. Had to replace both.

But I can see 'em! Another issue I had was switches in normal locations and configurations. Lights and wipers on the left, keyswitch and accessories on the right. About the only thing I was fanatical about was having a Ford ignition switch that used a Ford key, rather than a generic forklift, backhoe, or boat key, or bona fide Lucas (MGB) with what looked like a suitcase lock key. '70 Ford F150 worked fine.

Send me your e-mail and I'll send you shots of the dash as I configured it. Might give you food for thought. You don't have to do it like "Ol Shel" did it, if it doen't make sense.
Old 06-16-2003, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi I don't know about a CR layout
I just wanted it to look correct....heres the S/C layout using the Autometer gauges made to look like Smiths
Mechanicals I might add

Tim
Old 06-16-2003, 10:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Hey There! I did what Petek said...but i didn't have a copy of the gauges, I just drew a pencil line around the gauges..marked them for what they were and, sat in the car and placed them so they would be easy to read..and this is what I came up with. Nice and simple...but functional.
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/s...php?photo=7475

Gerry/Snake
Old 06-17-2003, 05:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Snake, I kind of like your layout...
Question, from sitting in the drivers seat, how obstructed is the view of the tach???
P.S. what are the two big red buttons for??
Old 06-17-2003, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Unique with Autometer classic gauges. A Cobra dash is a Cobra dash...

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/s...t=1&thecat=500

Rich
Old 06-17-2003, 07:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rich, looking at your dash just gave me another idea... I important one too... I fire extinguisher!!!
Still, when driving, how obstructed is your view of the tach?

I guess I will to the card board cut out thing....
Still looking of pics of dash layouts for more ideas..
Thanks again.
Old 06-17-2003, 07:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The angle the picture was taken at is lower than my line of sight while driving.

Don't forget the extinguisher!!!

Rich
Old 06-17-2003, 08:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Hey Wisconsin_Snake ! Once I was in the car, I put the steering in it's right location for when I drive..tilt steering...I then stuck the gauges were I could see them best. The tach is visable threw the steering wheel...and just on the other side is the speedometer...it's like the steering wheel, wheel separates the two. The red buttons on the right of the wheel are my defrost/heater knobs. On the left...are nitro switches...one is for the rad fan...so I can put it on, or off when I need it...and the other is for a set of driving lights I put in the lower scoop. If you go to my picture gallery...you will see what I mean by this.
Good luck!
Gerry/Snake.

Last edited by Snake; 06-17-2003 at 08:11 AM..