Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2003, 09:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Classic Roadster

Just purchased a CR that is about 80% complete. As with purchasing someone else's project there are a few parts missing, nothing major. For example inside door openers, Roll Bar groments. My real question has to do with hight of the car. This has about 3" of ground clearence. The front and read is adjustable with about 3" available in the front and 4" in the rear. What should it be? Also, not happy with the dash, is there a wood dash available?

I have build Corvettes and trucks before but this is my first shot at a Cobra so I will be posting many questions and any help will be appreciated.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Maker
Send a message via AIM to Bill E Send a message via Yahoo to Bill E
Not Ranked     

Donald I have done a lot of wood dash's and can offer some advise and maybe some parts We did a lot of work on CR,s and have lot of parts left over. That wont fit the car we do now . BillE EMS
Old 09-26-2003, 05:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Well, the good news is, you came to the right place for help with CR's.

The bad news is, you still have a lot of work to do and mistakes to correct before you have a streetable CR.

Why don't you post your e-mail here so when you ask questions, we can send you info and photos.

Wood dash? Yeah, I love 'em too. Mine is a red stained Zebrawood veneer (Constantines) over 1/8" birch plywood, finished in semi-gloss marine polyurethane. Looks beautiful, still have patterns along with assembly shots. Although for you, at this point in time, the dash is a low priority. You do need to decide how you want your dash laid out, and what components you want to put in it.

Now tell us about the car. Suspension, brakes, electrical system, steering column, manual or power steering components, motor mounts, clutch linkage.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster/428CJ "The Stretch Limo of Cobras"
Send a message via AIM to Robert T. Faust
Not Ranked     

Hi Donald, Got any pictures? I don't know how to post pictures of my car or I would put some on here for you to see it.
Bob Faust
Old 09-26-2003, 11:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

this is a walnut burl
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2003, 03:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster with 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

Check out my gallery for wood dash picture. The small guages are slightly turned toward driver. I had to hand carve this into solid walnut to get this effect. It was alot of work but I think it turned out OK! I have had alot of guys ask me to make them one but it is too labour intensive. I would have to charge too much to make it worth while for me.

Paul
Old 09-28-2003, 09:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for all of your replies, keep them coming. A lot of good ideas.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I can visualize making a jig for a router that would provide a slanted recess for gauges. Once made it'd' be repeatable.
Old 10-29-2003, 03:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Decided to had a local cabinet maker make me a dash. I purchased about 8 board feet of "PYINMA" wood. The wood is from Asia and has curly tecture to it. Some what like curly maple but harder and the color is a light tan to light gray. Will post some pic. once it is completed.
Old 10-29-2003, 03:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

OK,,,,,I'm gonna take some heat on this issue, but here goes! The coolest thing about a replica Cobra is that you can design it the way you like it!

I have considered the "wood dash" thing and concluded for me it's just a little "over the top". My '62 Austin Healey 3000 had the plain dash and the wood dash that came in the '63's was beautiful, man I wanted one! It "fit" the car nicely. Not sure it "fits" the Cobra the same way, maybe it's "to" elegant? I don't know, it really is a personal thing. Wood dash, very "english" and with the Cobra "roots" being in England, I bloody well may have missed the boat on this one!

Psssst,,,,,,loved those angled gauges, very cool.

Ernie
Old 10-29-2003, 09:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Heat ! we would not dare the wood might catch on fire. But come on seriously vinyl in a car the caliber of a cobra. Its like warring a polyester lecher suit to your 20 year reunion. It just is not right. And some of us are not devout enough worshippers at the alter of originality to put up whit it. To put up whit such a big fopaw in a car we will drive just for are own gratification. Vinyl is ok it is easier to do. But it is not wood. Bill E
Old 10-29-2003, 10:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hmmmm,,,interesting point about a vinyl dash! Ewwwwww,,,,I better call DV right away and find out just WHAT exactly my dash is covered in!

You know I was a happy camper until you brought up the vinyl thing!

Ernie
Old 10-29-2003, 11:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ernie The idea is to do what makes you happy. I do not post my true views on this site very often for oveous reasons and my typing skills suck. I do tend to poke fun at the rivet counters. If you have a glass car why try to make it something it is not. contrary to popular opinions on this site. There are far superior components available today than the original parts. So go for it make your self happy.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bil E

I agree with you about doing to your car what makes you happy. I didn't like the idea of a vinyl dash either, especially since I teach woodworking at a high school. I have always liked the British sport car look of a wooden dash. Back in '66 I bought a new Sunbeam Alpine (could'nt afford the extra for a Tiger) and ripped out the vinyl dash and installed a wooden one.

Here are a couple more pics of my wooden dash.

Paul
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2003, 07:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Another
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2003, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I didn't realize that there would be such a controversy over to wood dash or not. I was merely trying to figure out if such a thing existed as I saw examples on the cover of the CR assembly manual. I guess what it comes down to is the individaul and their preference. If the person wants a dash that is pink with purple strips then so be it. If a person is more traditional and wants a leather or vinyl covered dash then good for them or in my case I want a wood dash. It's up to the indidividau to decide, after all it is his/her car.

PS: Cobra 427 MNSI love your dash
Old 10-31-2003, 07:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ya think this is controvrsial, wait till we start start counting hood rivets and find a Small Block under there.

Ernie

OH, by the way! On the ride height issue typically 4 to 5" is good. Less than that the street ride feel really goes down hill. When I was racing the Excalibur (basically a C.R. clone) I had it down to about 3.5". TERRIBLE street ride, but it DID help track performance. Later I raised the ride hieght to about 4.5".

Last edited by Excaliber; 10-31-2003 at 07:20 PM..
Old 10-31-2003, 10:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

white oak and a tv
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2003, 10:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

A TV????? Uh,,,,,,,ok, might look good with the A/C unit I'm planning for mine. Right next to cup holder.

Your killing me!

Ernie
Old 10-31-2003, 10:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

To each his own, but..............

How's that weather beaten wood dash a good thing?

Can't they be sealed so the wood does not look like a teak deck on a sail boat.

Sorry. I know it is harsh, and will catch flack for this but , it looks hideous.

TURK