Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2005, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics, 351C/T-5 trans. Guardsman Blue
Not Ranked     
Default WOW and DOUBLE WOW!!

Well, I picked up my CR today around 11 AM and I had actually never driven it before. I just GOTTA say... WOW and DOUBLE WOW!!! What a car!!! I drove it through San Diego to the I-5 South and then I KINDA "got on it" a LITTLE getting on the freeway. GEEZ, I don't EVER remember a "small block anything" accelerating THAT FAST. Guys (and gals), I must say the SMILE on my face WAS WIDER than the rear end of this car when I arrived home!!! WHAT A RUSH!!! Of course there were the usual "thumbs up" and STARES from people as I was "tooling" down the freeway (as WELL there should be), BUT I just gotta say that driving along in a convertable like this is ABSOLUTELY the ULTIMATE RUSH for a car nut like me!!! OK, now that I've said ALL the stuff (cliches) that you lucky people have experienced/used before, I'd just like to say this: the car was SMOOTH as SILK on the freeway and is a PURE JOY to drive!!! I guess I'd better shut up now and go down and STARE at "BLUE" (yep, I've named her already) in the garage. I guess that "satellite probe" wasn't the only thing that landed on one of Saturn's moons today!! I feel like I've also been launched into "outer space" )
Old 01-14-2005, 01:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Congrats Jim. Nice to be able to go for a drive in mid January isn't it. Enjoy it.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Jim,

Congratulations. You are going to have a lot of fun with that car. Just take it out and learn to drive it before you try anything to wild. These cars don't drive like a regular car, and each one has it's own quirks. And get ready for the tons of questions that people will be asking. Now get busy and post some pictures so we can all see Blue.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 01-14-2005, 01:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mind showing it to a few of us locals, I have only seen on other person in a cobra the whole time I have owned mine and would like to see meet a few people on the board.

I have been thinking about putting together a small drive for the local shelby/cobra owners.

Also if you see a sold black cobra with the number 42 meatballs wave.

Looking to buy a SB100 5.0 powered FFR so pass on any infomrmation that you have.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Jim and StormBringer,
There is a group in San Diego that goes for Runs occasionally. Lookup Sergio at http://www.cobra4me.com/phpBB/index.php
or California Cobra in El Cajon at www.cacobra.com

When mine is done you'll probably see it around as well. Planning on a daily driver.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF replica, 351W, about 420 HP
Not Ranked     

All Right Jim!!! Enjoy the car, take the time to get used to it, (like Ron said!), and just have a ball!!!

Get a "cruise" together some weekend, and you can have some other Cobras to cruise around San Diego with you!!!

"If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, you'll only get just one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playing, if you lose you got to pay, and if you make just one wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY. Expect no mercy.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owner, Classic Roadsters II
Not Ranked     

Congrats, now the fun begins! Make sure you understand your limits and the cars limits, it can get away from you in a hurry. The longer wheelbase is a plus in the way the car handles but it can still get out from under you. What was the outcome with the title?
Don
Old 01-14-2005, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Please be extremely careful on the freeway, I have had people drift into my lane while staring not realizing what they are doing. Also these car can get the better of you in a heartbeat expecially on uneven roads regardless of the wheelbase or power. They simply don't give you a lot of feedback you can feel because they are such a rough riding car in some respects.

Also depenging on your tire width you will find that the car will track on some parts of the 5 and the 805 and it is very scary the first time its happens.

So just keep the shiny side up, also where in San Diego are you it's getting to be a pretty huge place.

Looking to buy a SB100 5.0 powered FFR so pass on any infomrmation that you have.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster/428CJ "The Stretch Limo of Cobras"
Send a message via AIM to Robert T. Faust
Not Ranked     

CONGRATS TO YOU JIM,
Now lets get some pictures posted in here! Let everyone see it.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

All I can say Jim....it's 9' degrees here right now!
DV
Old 01-14-2005, 07:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Jim B. Thanx for reminding me what an experience it is to drive one of these cars for the first time. I was thinking back to the first time I got behind the wheel, at the docks off the barge and drove it home.

Wow and double wow, Yeah, I remember that!!
Old 01-14-2005, 08:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRL, 351W, Tremec TKO
Not Ranked     

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy ... especially while I'm sitting here looking at 10 degree temperatures!

Who is John Galt?
Old 01-15-2005, 06:45 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Got a heaty wave going there, eh Pete?

We have 7 degrees today, think I'll start planning on a garden.

Old 01-15-2005, 07:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star 427 Comp Big Old Rat Heavy duty slush box
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the driving world. All the aforementioned posters have some pretty good advise. Start slow, ease into things, and become familiar with your ride. Thanks for the reminder of what it is like just to hit the ignition, let alone, drive. It must be nice to drive this time of year. I have'nt had mine out since Nov. 1st. Oh well, just makes me look foreward to spring even more. I'll be in SD in mid February and will keep an envyous eye out for you. Drive defensivly, you'll be fine.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My first ride:

I had heard the cautions so many times that when I first got behind the wheel I was pretty nervous! What if it spins out right here in the loading dock area? What if it breaks loose when I merge into traffic?

I made it home just fine, the NEXT DAY I spun out half way through a freeway on ramp when I punched it!
Old 01-15-2005, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #139, Indigo blue, white stripes, KeithCraft 351W, 315 WHP, 17" Boyd Smoothies, dual roll bars, gunrack, assorted young females
Not Ranked     

Jim- thanks for sharing!

Gunrack, BDR #139, has a dark cloud over her head.

Don't let that damp your enthusiasm. I'll take the flak and shrapnel so others can have a smooth ride.

You are in a fat, sidecar motorcycle.

Trucks can't see you. Your vehicle tends to distract other drivers.

If you can't maneuvre out of an accident, you are dead.

Don't drive it at night.

I am an adrenaline junkie...

How 'bout you?

I don't need a "life."

I have a Cobra.

UT
Old 01-15-2005, 10:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Despite what I said on my other post, now that you own it, enjoy it!

A Cobra, particularly a comfortable one like a CR is the most exhilarating driving experience you can possibly ever have.

But, like everyone else has said, take your time and learn how to drive it. It's not an ordinary car. It is SO responsive that you could wind up in a ditch from too heavy a hand or foot.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics, 351C/T-5 trans. Guardsman Blue
Not Ranked     

Geez, had I known these where THIS MUCH FUN, I'd have bought one years ago. Took BLUE out and cruised around Imperial Beach for about 30 minutes yesterday afternoon. Stopped and gassed her up at my local Texaco station (where the mechanics drooled all over her!!). Noticed that the brakes MAY need some work/improvement in the near future. Just getting used to driving the car. Numerous "Thumbs Up" from other drivers and waves from the kids on the sidewalks!! I am VERY IMPRESSED with the way the car DOES NOT feel like a "kit car". It rides solid and smooth. No rattles or weird noises that I kinda expected. Engine starts almost instantly. Temperature stays between 160 - 180 even in slow traffic (with the electric fan on). I really think I have found the "Ultimate Toy" for a car lover!!
Old 01-18-2005, 05:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile

Jim,

Great that you are enjoying the Cobra so much. As for the Kit Car feel, many of these cars are better built than the originals. They have 40 years technology to work with, and the original cheap kit cars have mostly vanished.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery