Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2005, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics, 351C/T-5 trans. Guardsman Blue
Not Ranked     
Default Saturday Escapades

Early Saturday morning I drove out to California Cobra in El Cajon and met some VERY nice Cobra people. Armond, the owner of the place and one of his shop mechanics (and I apologize for not remembering his name- I was in "LA LA LAND" from the minute I entered the shop) were there to demo a couple of the Backdraft Cobras for some potenitial customers. CA Cobra builds complete turnkeys as they had two sitting out for test rides. One was bright red, 351w, T-5 with 400HP and the other was metalic grey, 351w (427 stroker), T5 with 500HP. Well I couldn't resist an offer to ride in both. Now these BD Roadsters use BMW suspensions and ride VERY nice. I first went out in the 500HP version and all I can say is OMG!!! IF I thought my 302 CR was fast, then the BD was a SHEER ROCKET. I was then asked to ride in the 400HP for comparison. Now I WAS told that the 400HP was more docile and actually a better choice for an "all around driver" (i.e. something that would be more practical as an every day driver), I was STILL AWED by the acceleraltion of the 400HP!! Only words that can adequately apply is AWSOME or possibly even SCARY!! The BDs that were sitting all around the CA Cobra shop were BEAUTIFUL!! Quite a few were the darker Indigo Blue with either white or silver stripes and exact replica guages. Most were also 351Ws in one HP configuration or another. Needless to say, I was literally "babbling" when I left the place. For THAT kind of money (for a fully registered, out the door car, I don't know how anyone couldn't WANT ONE!!).

After I got home I took BLUE out for a drive. I tried to compare her features and performance with the BDs that I had just riden in. Well, my tentative conclusion was that she isn't ALL that much different than those other "ladies"!! I admit that she isn't quite THE Cobra that I really wanted since she isn't the Indigo Blue that I like so much and she doesn't have the exact replica guages and dash layout and shifter that I want and she also doesn't have the large 5' Lemans gass filler, BUT she IS MINE and I bought her for a nice price. What I am going to do is REDRESS my BLUE to the configuration that I want her to have. I figure that I can't afford to buy one of the BDs (without selling my Hemi), so I'll just reconfigure my CR the way I want. I'm going to call Armond tomorrow morning and see HOW much all that is going to cost (the 400HP engine swap can be the last thing I do since my 302 scats right along as it is and looks and runs like it was brand new!). Only thing I am concerned about is the changing of the Lemans filler cap from the 3" BLUE has to the 5" that I want. I'm sure that someone who can work with fibergalss can patch the existing hole and cut another before I have the car repainted (whatcha think, Don??).

Anyway, before I put my CR away for the day, I talked my youngest daughter (24) to take a ride in it (my wife is still too pissed off). We went out for a 5 mile loop into the "country", IF you can call it that, near my house and she LOVED IT!! Her exact words were (when I asked...."WELL...??) "VERY LOUD!!" Oh well, chaulk one up for BLUE!!!

Last edited by Jim Barnett; 01-24-2005 at 05:00 AM..
Old 01-23-2005, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 351 Windsor 405 HP
Not Ranked     

My wife was pissed too,until she she heard all of our friends talking about mr CR and that I bult myself. First ride wasn't to
successful as I "got on it" a little too much to suit her. Subsequent rides have gone pretty nice as I drove as she put it "Civily" I guess she's accepted the "other woman" in my life LOL
Old 01-23-2005, 10:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Art: yep, my wife's the SAME way when it comes to going FAST! IF I ever get her into my CR, I'll certainly drive with prudence (as I usually do anyway - car attracts a LOT of ATTENTION as it is)!! I don't think she has a CLUE as to HOW MUCH I like this car. I sold my Lotus TE to get it and now would definitely consider selling my Bee to get one IF I didn't already have BLUE!! (main reason for the reconfiguration vice buying another Cobra).
Old 01-24-2005, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owner, Classic Roadsters II
Not Ranked     

Jim, the hole can be patched and the Lemans placed on the body. We have a fiberglass piece that needs to be put in for the Lemans cap. It comes with the Lemans kit that we sell. You can talk to Pete about it. We can also upgrade your engine at a great price when you are ready to do it. We have a dyno in-shop and have built hundreds of engines up to 1,000 hp.
Don
Old 01-24-2005, 08:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don:

OUTSTANDING NEWS about relocating the gas cap/filler and being able to put the larger one on my CR!!! Please have Pete email me the price for all that stuff and I'd also like to know what a 400HP 351W goes for. I MAY have to just get one out here in San Diego (either already "built" or stock).

One other quick question: since my current dash has AutoMeter gauges installed (and NOT the "original replica" types), can you guys sell me another dash so I can just remove and replace it ??(my dash goes all the way down to the tunnel and has a stereo installed at the bottom)

THANKS!!!
Old 01-24-2005, 08:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim, the Lemans kit sells for $275 and includes the cap, base, filler adapter, tube, hose, clamps, and fiberglass boss. Here is some engine info on the standard engines that we build.

351 Windsor, 360 hp, complete from air cleaner to pan, includes aluminum manifold, aluminum valve covers, aluminum pulleys, new edelbrock carb Electronic MSD distributor, MSD coil, new water pump, alternator, starter 9mm Ford wires, new high performance pistons, cam, lifters, chrome moly Rings, high volume oil pump, double roller timing chain, pushrods, GT40p heads, hardened seats, high rev springs, Correct motor mounts; chrome oil pan, SVO dipstick, Chrome alternator Bracket, wire looms, tin motor plate, stainless bolts, Chrome coil bracket, throttle cable and bracket. Engine is test run and cam Break-in performed, timing is set, carb adjusted. New flex plate or flywheel, the entire assembly is balanced. $ 4,700.00
Aluminum heads (adds 60 hp and roller rockers) 1,200.00
Engine Dyno (shows true horse power and torque) INCL

351 Windsor, Stroked to 418ci, approx. 500hp, complete from air cleaner to pan. KB hyperutectic pistons, new stroker crank, HP rods, ARP rod bolts, chrome moly rings, Comp cam and lifters, hardened pushrods, roller rockers, double roller timing chain. Block is machined, magnafluxed, decked, new cam bearings, new hp oil pump and pickup. Chrome oil pan, billet dipstick, main stud girdle. Edelbrock performer RPM manifold with Edelbrock 750 carb. MSD billet distributor and coil. Ford SVO aluminum valve covers, billet pulleys. Ford SVO 8.8 wires. Edelbrock Victor Jr. heads, guideplates. Ford SVO billet steel flywheel. Lokar throttle cable and bracket. ARP stainless bolts throughout. Chrome air cleaner. Motor mounts. Engine will be broken in on our dyno. True hp and torque numbers will be given. Timing set and carb adjusted. $ 7,900.00
Don
Old 01-24-2005, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don: you, kind Sir, are as AWESOME as my CR!!! How about that dash replacement?? IF you can supply a new dash, are the holes already cut out for the instruments?? THANKS!!!

Jim

PS: I want to talk to CA Cobras this morning and see how much the gas filler modification is going to cost (i.e patching the old hole and putting in the new stuff). THANKS!!!
Old 01-24-2005, 09:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim, I forgot about the dash. You can remove your current dash and just replace the gauges. If you want to go to the original Stewart Warner type they will be a direct replacement. I wouldn't recommend the Smith gauges. They aren't very reliable. If you change gauges you will need to change the senders as well for the water temp, oil pressure, and fuel. The sender in the fuel tank you have is a 0 to 90 ohm unit. If you can get the fuel gauge with that spec you wouldn't need to change the sender otherwise you will need to drop the fuel tank and add the new sender. The sender that is in the tank now is also the fuel pickup, the Smith or Stewart Warner is just the sender so you would need to cut a new hole in the tank to mount the sender. I do have 2 types of dashes, the one you have now is called the custom dash. The other one we have is the original style without the center console. Both dashes come blank so they need to have all the holes cut and the vinyl glued on. Everything I've talked about so far is pretty easy to do.
Don
Old 01-24-2005, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim. I am really enjoying reading your posts. You and I could be cousins living on the opposite side of the country. You got the needle in your arm bud and the cure just can't be found.
When I found my CR it was a 289mexican block , automatic ,air conditioned ,power steering, 273 rear end slug. But I thought it was the cats ass until I got dusted more than once.

Last time I ordered parts from Don he finally asked me if I was building this car one piece at a time. Roll bar ,Wind Wings, Side wings, new carpet, new seats.(I have logged on 20000 miles in five years) I had to explain I am not building just tweaking.We are now a 351 with goodies, tremec ,plus the squeeze bottle and a 355 rear. I never give the roll away and from a dead stop you better not be slipping because drag radials suck in the rain but they are a ***** in dry.
I fluctuate between names .She is called Oll'yeller .And some times Dam Yellow Cobra.

By the way Don if your reading this I need a headlight bucket and trim ring we had a brain dead accident at my home. All family members survived but I am limping from kicking myself in the ass.
Enjoy Jim and keep those cards and checks coming. There is nothing so nice as watching a wife roll her eyes to the gods when the UPS guy pulls up to the house.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

bcompy, this is a fun reading thread. I think I forget how fun these cars can be. I've been around them so long I forget to stop and smell the roses. You can give Pete a call for the headlight parts. We have them in-stock. 1-888-722-6272.
Don
Old 01-25-2005, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

bcompy: THANKS for the kind comments AND YES I have been "bitten by the SNAKE!!" One of my FAVORITE TV shows is "American Muscle Car" (geez, since I've owned around 50 of them over the years, I can't quite figure out WHY I like that show so much....DUH) and when I watched the show that featured the Cobras (probably for the upteeth time), it FINALLY sunk in that these replicas might just be fun to own. I have always known about the Cobras since Shelby first started building then way back when, BUT I was then, as I am now, a DIE HARD MOPAR Muscle car NUT!! I grew up in Indiana and the MOPARS were THE car to own. Max Wedges, Hemis, and Six Pacs.... oh my!! My first car was a 1959 318 2bbl Plymouth Fury that couldn't get out of its own way and I got laughed at AND beat by all the rich kids who's Mommy and Daddy had bought them nice, expensive fast cars (I had to pay for my cars on my own with money I earned working after school and on weekends.... I paid $150 for the Plymouth). Well, my BEST BUDDY, Ed Brockman was a real MOPAR nut and he told me to sell the Plymouth because he had another friend who would sell me a 1958 Sport Fury (350, 2x4bbls.... yeah a REAL Christine way before Steven King put pen to paper and created that monster) for $250 and he GUARANTEED that I would no longer be beat as easily as I was in the 318. WELL, he was right. The '58 was FAST and an absolute blast to drive until we blew the engine doing 130 MPH coming home from Indianapolis late one Friday night and I didn't have the money to rebuild it. I traded the 2x4bbls intake for a 1956 Chevy 265 that I drove during my senior year of high school and I GAVE the rest of the car to a friend's of Ed who wanted to put a 383 in it (the car WAS MINT other than the blown engine). That experience got me TOTALLY hooked on MOPARS!! I have owned 'Cudas, Road Runners, Challengers, RTs, GTXs, SuperBees, and even had a Christine Clone a few years ago. I never took much interest in Cobras and I attribute that MISTAKE to the fact that I knew that I couldn't AFFORD a REAL ONE and IF it wasn't a REAL ONE, I just didn't want it. Well, as I said at the start of this post, when I watched the "American Muscle Car" show and saw how NEAT and GREAT looking the replicas were and how much FUN the owners were having with them, I decided to sell my '84 Lotus Turbo Esprit (a GREAT car in its own right and FUN to drive, BUT VERY EXPENSIVE to fix if it ever broke and I knew nothing about doing my own work on it... I just bought it in October of last year and was very uncomfortable every time I took it out because I was afraid I'd break something and then I'd have an expensive toy just sitting in the garage waiting for the money to fix it) and buy me a Cobra replica that I COULD work on and fix myself without having to sell my first born!! I did weeks worth of research on the net and devoted countless trips to Ebay, Auto Trader, Deals on Wheels, Hemmings et.al., checking on selling prices and what was available in MY PRICE RANGE (had I the money, I'd buy one of the newer aluminum bodied Shelbys with the 427 and be done with it... that's kinda my "Holy Grail" now and my Hemi Bee MAY just lead me to one someday in the future, who knows??). Interestingly enough, VIP Affordable Classics in downtown San Diego had 3 Cobra replicas for sale (one was yellow with an automatic that I wasn't really interested in and was sold before I actually made time to drive over there and take a look at the other two). The CR WAS in my price range AND the great guys at that dealership also offered to take in and SELL my Lotus for me (I had NO PLACE to put it if I bought the CR since the Hemi takes up 1/2 the garage and the Lotus was taking up the other half and NEITHER CAR is one that anyone with any inkling of intelligence would want to store/park in the driveway... AS IS the CR!!!). So, when I got to VIP I fell MADLY in LOVE with the CR!!! I actually wanted the OTHER Cobra that they were selling.... dark Indigo Blue, real knockoffs, BUILT to the hilt 351W and a MUCH HIGHER PRICE.... about $15K more than I could afford without suffering a divorce or selling the Bee, which, come to think of it would have had the same consequences!. Anyway, I made a deal on the CR and called them back and bought it later that same day. BEST THING I have done in many, many years (the exception would be buying the Bee back from my buddy who I sold the car to in 1987). NOW all I have to do is reconfigure my CR to the way I want it. Of course I could win the LOTTO and buy one of the 427 Shelbys, but I won't hold my breath!! Still, there are Kirkhams easily within my reach IF I sold the Bee (POSSIBLY even a real Shelby). But for now, I am quite content with the CR (even though my wife isn't) and am looking forward to dressing the little lady the way I want. You know, my TV room is in the back of our house and I have to pass the garage door every time I go to the kitchen or another part of the house. THAT garage door has DEFINITELY been opened MORE the past two weeks than it has in the past 10 years that I've owned this place. WHY?? THAT'S a MYSTERY to me. MIGHT be that AWESOME LOOKING little car sitting out there) GEEZ, I love cars!!!
Old 01-26-2005, 07:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim, what part of Indiana did you grow up in. I grew up in a small town east of Indy. Hagerstown, close to Muncie, Richmond area. My first car was in 1969, paid for it myself with a little help from the bank. $900, 1964 Impala SS, 409, dual quads, 4 speed. Absolutely beautiful car and very fast. I've been trying to find it for over 10 years but no luck yet. Great Mopar stories, I've owned a few myself, 383 Roadrunner, AAR Cuda, 57 Dodge, 63 Chrysler, 65 440 convert with 440 and 4 speed, 67 GTX, 66 charger. I've owner so many I lost track years ago. They were cheap back in the late 60's early 70's so I would trade off every couple of months. When the gas crunch hit in the early 70's you couldn't hardly give them away.
Don
Old 01-26-2005, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don: my goodness.... I've been to Hagerstown NUMEROUS times when I was a kid. I was born in Richmond in Dec., 1949 and lived there until I graduated Richmond Sr. High in 1968!! Then I moved to Kankakee, Illinois where my dad had moved to a few years earlier. I joined the Navy in September of 1968 and requested that I be sent to San Diego. Been here pretty much ever since then (with one year spent in Illinois when I retired from the Navy in 1974 - medical). Do you remember when Richmond "exploded" back in March of 1968 and over 40 people were killed?? (several of them I knew and were friends of mine). I was working in my Foster Parent's Garden Center store only 1/2 a block from the Sporting Goods Store that blew up and caused the gas main that ran down and under Main Street to rupture and explode as well!! I was interviewed on several TV stations that day (most from Indianapolis). My wife is from Coronado and that's WHY I still live in this area (and because we own a nice home too). SMALL WORLD, isn't it.... fellow HOOSIER!!
Old 01-26-2005, 08:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim, I do remember the explosion. We cruised Richmond all the time. My uncle worked at Wayne Works until they closed it. My Dad worked there for a few years also. I was born in 1954 so we missed each other by a few years. We did alot of street racing in Richmond, and Cambridge. We had a nice 1/4 mile setup in Cambridge on an old back road. Lots of great memories of the good old days!!! I worked at the truckstop on I-70 and State Road 1 for about a year. Moved to Minnesota when I was 17. All my relatives live in the area. Hagerstown, Cambridge, Richmond, Connersville, Modoc, New Castle, Kennard, Fort Wayne, Muncie. We're scattered all over the state. Like you say, small world !
Don