Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2005, 05:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics, 351C/T-5 trans. Guardsman Blue
Not Ranked     
Default Best 302 "bolt on HP" parts

OK, guys and gals.... this may be a question I need to pose over on the Small Block Talk Forum as well, BUT I just thought I'd ask all you fine CR folks first. Since my 302 is nearly new and runs great, what are the best "bolt on parts" I can buy to INCREASE my HP to the maximum WITHOUT pulling the engine from the car?? I'd eventually like to get around 400 HP out of her, BUT I think I'd have to have the engine stroked and stuff to do that. Right now I'd be ELATED with anything CLOSE to 350 HP IF that's possible with just different heads, intake, etc. Then I can concentrate on building a nice 351W or something to swap in later on down the road (may SOUND like I have "unlimited funds", BUT that is NOT the case - just call my wife and ask her!!). THANKS!!

PS: I've added some photos of my other "lady" to my Gallery pics (actually she's more of an AMAZON). Just thought some of you might enjoy seeing the "Elephant"

Last edited by Jim Barnett; 01-26-2005 at 05:44 AM..
Old 01-26-2005, 06:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Jim,

Edelbrock makes kit bolt on set ups for the 302 and 351s and several of the guy's around here have used them with great success. They have everything matched from the cam through the heads and carb. And the way I understood it, you can just buy as much as you want, IE just the heads or intake and carb for example. And they can pretty much tell you what power you will get with which kit you put on. Why not give them a call and talk to them?

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 01-26-2005, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owner, Classic Roadsters II
Not Ranked     

Jim, go with Ron's suggestion. We use Edelbrock on just about every engine, good, proven parts.
Don
Old 01-26-2005, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Jim,
First and foremost, listen to Don. He IS the small block guru. Second. I can gurantee you a minimum of 25% increase in horsepower if you have the stock exhaust pipes, and it looks like you do. Simply change out the 'bullets'. I couldn't be more serious and the sound is awesome. The simplest and cheapest bang for the buck!

Put that puppy on a dyno and get the true RWHP and torque rating. Change the pipes and do it again. 25% minimum increase-guaranteed!

Then the old MSD box (6AL) will do wonders. Then if you're really feeling frisky, change the distributor over too. You are running a carb'd engine, no?

Dv

Last edited by Double Venom; 01-27-2005 at 03:36 AM..
Old 01-26-2005, 09:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Consider your 302 motor as training wheels while you learn how to drive your car. Save your money for a bigger engine when it's time to take the training wheels off. Any of the bigger Windsors will do nicely.

Do, however, swap out your factory mufflers for some decent glasspacks. I'm using 30" x 4" case x 2 1/2" core for a decent balance beteen flow, and loudness.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok Jim ,here is a thought from an very cheap amature. But I have the stats and timeslips to prove it.
Take one CR with a bone stock 302, 200 hp fresh block ,running A/C and power steering ,355 gears to the track. Everyone else is running 11's and 12's and your holding a 15.01 slip. Best of the day there were worse.

Now go home tell wife , other boys kicked sand in my face I have to pull the motor. REPLY --- Wait for it------
I DON'T HAVE A NEW KITCHEN ,NEW BATH,NEW,NEW,NEW NEW NEW ANYTHING AND YOUR GONNA PULL A PERFECTLY GOOD MOTOR. HOW ABOUT I GET A NEW HUSBAND.

Or words to that effect. Ok drop back and punt.You say I can't pull a good working motor ,but what if it breaks. I know you can see this coming.

Can you say Edlebrock Nitrous carb set up with the 150 hp jets. I have heard all the horror stories so I figure I can screw this motor up quickly. Leave it to me ,it gets installed perfectly I run about twelve bottles through this motor tearing the guts out of it and it won't quit.It also runs 13.01 which I consider real respectable considering I only spent about 450 including the install. And the sound when the micro switch hits the gas flow is scary. Sounds like demons from hell . I can't believe this motor won't come apart as hard as I tried. Finall had to sell when a 351 dropped in my lap. This also has the bottle on it but I pulled the jets back. I dyno'd about 387 at the flywheel so the juice on top is just scary.
You may want to consider this option Good luck

Last edited by BCompy; 01-28-2005 at 07:35 AM..
Old 01-27-2005, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 302 AFR 165
Not Ranked     

What heads do you have on the car now? I put down 280 rwhp with a terrible tune (way lean) on AFR 165 heads and a mild cam. RWTQ was 298 on that tune. I'm going back to the dyno when the weather clears with new jets.

throw some good heads AFR, TRickflow, or edelbrock a decent cam, and a rpm air gap and start tuning. Don't worry about what the dyno says just use it to tune and take it to the drag strip.

Good luck. You can go a lot faster then you can problably drive with a good 302. I've learned more about tuning a car with this engine then any car I've had.