Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2005, 10:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 427, 446 cu in Iron Eagle stroker, Trick Flow "R" heads, Comp roller, Edelbrock Thunder 800 cfm, Eaton posi, Richmond 3.27, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Front Spring Advice Needed

Hi Guys,
It's been a while since I've been here....out on filming locations and not driving the car nearly as much as I'd like to. My engine blew the second week I began driving this season. I had an original set of twisted wedge heads on it that had never been modified to take rail rockers and I recently discovered that Trick Flow had problems with the geometry of them... I just found out first hand when a valve head snapped off and destroyed my stroker....including the 1969 block. I suppose I could sleeve it, but I found a nice engine on eBay and have already purchased it. It's a 446 cu in 351W based stroker, but the stroke is only that of a 408 or 418... The rest was done with bore. It has a Dart Iron Eagle block, forged crank, rods and pistons, roller cam, Trick flow R heads, Moroso 7 qt pan with pickup and was built by Creb Engineering back East. I contacted him before purchasing the engine to verify that it would stay glued together for a while and was reassured that everything on the motor was built with the best of parts and carefull construction. Here's a link to the engine when it was on eBay if anyone is interested... New Engine
I also just bought a TKO Tremec 600 with .87 final to replace the world class T5 I was running. I'm hoping this combo will get me back to the fun I've always had with this car.
Now....to my real question. I bought a set of adjustable upper A-Arms and tubular lowers from Pole Position...( nice people there...and the order got here in two days!). I also found some Carrera coil-overs new on eBay. They come without springs though and I recall that there have been numerous discussions here about the best spring rate to get for a Classic with a 351, but I can't seem to find any of them in my searches.
Can any of you point me in the right direction for getting springs for these? I have removed the front sway bar for a smoother ride....don't know if that will make any difference in the spring choice or not. I do remember someone discussing a rate of 375 lbs at one point, but also seem to remember that 375 was a little too much. Any help would, as always, be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Regards,
Bill

Last edited by fxbill; 02-11-2005 at 10:39 PM..
Old 02-12-2005, 07:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owner, Classic Roadsters II
Not Ranked     

FX, sorry to hear about your engine. The new one sounds great. The front shock on the CR is not a Mustang II shock. The tower adds another 4" to the extended length of the shock so the Mustang II is too short. The spring I use is the 8MB375 from Carrera. It's a tapered spring that sits in the stock perch at the top. It is the lightest spring they make. I have never had a problem with them. The adjustment is perfect for the car. Since Carrera has been purchased by QA1 I have had problems getting the proper shock and spring so I now use Pro Shocks. You can purchase the front coil over package from us for $400. If you want to stick to the Carrera let me know and I'll get you the specs. It will have to be a custom shock.
Don
Old 02-12-2005, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 427, 446 cu in Iron Eagle stroker, Trick Flow "R" heads, Comp roller, Edelbrock Thunder 800 cfm, Eaton posi, Richmond 3.27, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Oops.... Oh well....there were lots of bidders on the shocks. They are part number 3336 and are 9" closed and 12" open. I can just resell them back on the bay.
Sure....whatever package works the best and is available will be fine as long as they work with the pole position A Arms.
Thanks Don..... I'm assuming your old tele number is no longer working, but if you have a new one I'll call you Monday and order them.....
Bill

Last edited by fxbill; 02-12-2005 at 10:08 AM..
Old 02-12-2005, 03:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owner, Classic Roadsters II
Not Ranked     

FX, the number is the same 1-888-722-6272.
Don