Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2005, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 422ci 460H.P.
Not Ranked     
Default side pipes

Would anyone happen to know where I could find an old set of the CR sidepipes...you know, the quiet ones.?
Old 05-19-2005, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics, 351C/T-5 trans. Guardsman Blue
Not Ranked     

Quiet ones?? That's almost blasphemy) Contact Don at CR and see what he can do for you. He's a super guy and I'm sure he will help all he can.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

BrianR

I must be getting old. I have just ordered a set of pipes from 'Aussie Mike' here in Australia. Currently I'm at just on 110dBA and I've gone for 95dBA.

Mike has some side pipe photos on his gallery...

The roar just got to much for me at 2800rpm on the freeways.

..think my neighbours will be happy also.

Seriously, we are getting nailed over here at the moment by the Environment Police for noise..

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 05-19-2005, 08:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry Jim, but I'm with Bernie...I think it just might be the age thing.....Thanks guys
Old 05-19-2005, 09:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #139, Indigo blue, white stripes, KeithCraft 351W, 315 WHP, 17" Boyd Smoothies, dual roll bars, gunrack, assorted young females
Not Ranked     

I'm sorry, what was that?

I couldn't hear you.

UT
Old 05-21-2005, 11:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Brian,

What are you trying to do, find an old pair of original sidepipes, or quiet down your exhaust?

Once everyone found out what was inside the sidepipe for a muffler (1 1/4" baffle), they were all sliced out and tossed into the dumpster. They weren't that quiet either, but they did kill power.

For a quieter exhaust (depending on how quiet you want it), a 30" x 4" x 2 1/2" glasspack will let you carry on a conversation while cruising and not hurt your power. A 36" x 4" x 2 1/4" glasspack really gets it mellow, but hurts the power a little.

Weld a collecter flange on the outlet of the J pipe, and you can easily experiment with different muffler setups until you get it the way you like it.
Old 05-22-2005, 04:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for your post Jack. Yes, I'm simply looking to quiet it down a bit. I've got 30x 2 1/2 now and I think the 36x 2 1/4's would be perfect. My pipes are chrome now. How would you recommend going about making that change?
Old 05-22-2005, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 427, 446 cu in Iron Eagle stroker, Trick Flow "R" heads, Comp roller, Edelbrock Thunder 800 cfm, Eaton posi, Richmond 3.27, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

J C Whitney makes a muffler very similar to the original CR mufflers, but that sound a little quieter and don't cost you quite as much power. They're pretty cheap too. If you don't mind a bity more noise than the originals go with Lobak auger style mufflers. Reasonably quiet and NO power loss..
Old 05-23-2005, 04:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Without researching muffler manufacturers, J.C. Whitney sells the 36" x 4" x 2 1/4" glasspack blanks. Cut out the existing ones, and weld in the new ones. You'll have to shorten the collector, and turnout. Install a 3" - 2 1/4" adapter on the muffler inlet for transition flow.

Another tip would be to weld in a collecter flange after the J pipe so you can replace mufflers easier. You can then ceramic coat the inside and outside of the J pipe, just like the headers.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanks for the info guys.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRL, 351W, Tremec TKO
Not Ranked     

You can also just attach the muffler with stainless steel band clamps. I don't remember where I bought 'em but the ones I'm using are something like 4" wide and do a great job keeping everything together.

Oh, you'll have to have the ends of the muffler opened up just enough to fit the collector in one end and turnout on the other.

I'm sure I've got pictures somewhere on my web site.

Who is John Galt?
Old 05-24-2005, 08:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Lone Star Classics LS427, 428 CJ engine stroked to 464, 580hp/590tq at flywheel
Not Ranked     

The band clamp can be bought at semi truck supply places - galvanized or stainless. Look in my gallery, and if you want details on mine search under spiral turbo exhausts.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra sidepipes

Good place to direct inquiry re: custom sidepipes or any associated details would be Tubular Automotive in Rockland, Mass.. These guys are real pros when it comes to anything in custom exhausts and they are reasonable, especially with the materials to fabricate your own.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

You can also put Car Chemistry disks in the collector.

They cut down noise substantially when cruising, but still loud when accelerating. They claim no power loss.

With these in, at highway speeds, the wind is noisier and more annoying than the sound of the car.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Recap on my rebuild of the side pipes:

CR Side Pipe Rebuild

Quiter than both the original CR side pipes and the Arizona Exhaust muffler I had used on the first rebuild