Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Classic Roadsters II

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2006, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster II, 351 windsor, Tremmec T-5
Not Ranked     
Default Classic Roadster Coil Over Shocks

Anyone have any photos of the coil over shock installation on a Classic Roadster. Manual doesn't show this option. Did a search of CC but didn't find what I wanted. I'm also interested in the option of removing the unused lower rear control arm spring perch, since it is not used. I found one thread that Don Scott indicated that the perch may be ground off.
Thanks for everyone's patience with dumb questions. Just got my kit and I'm new here. Have been reading for 4 years, but no questions until now.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRL, 351W, Tremec TKO
Not Ranked     

I've got rear coil overs on my CR Cobra. Literally a 30 minute installation; very, very easy. I didn't bother to grind off the spring perch.

Who is John Galt?
Old 04-10-2006, 10:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 302->351
Not Ranked     

PeteK - can you post a bigger resolution image of that picture to your photo gallery (or email one to me)?

I had my car up and wheels off looking at my brake problem (as yet unresolved), and noticed that installing the coil-overs looked like a quick job. I hesitated, though, because the top mount just doesn't look strong enough to take the load of the springs and shock. It doesn't look as reinforced as the front shock mount.

Any metallurgists or mechanical engineers care to ease my mind? It just looks like the load the upper bolt would take when the suspension moves would be too much for it.

Thanks,

JLW
Old 04-10-2006, 10:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR 427 S/C, 351W, 5 Sp & KMP142 - 427 SO, 4 Spd
Not Ranked     

I have a '99 vintage and about 4,000 miles ago (at least) put coil overs on
the rear and left the original coil springs on. It rides fine (much better
than before) and I have had no problems with mounts. One of the original
shocks was blown out (defect) and the springs were on the weak side.
This new set up is much better for me.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Got my answers and here's how it turned out

Thanks, for the help offered to my original thread question. I thought I'd reply and attempt to provide photos of how it looks after the modification.

One photo shows the lower control arm with the bottom coil perch placed in it's original position prior to my grind off the welds and removing it.
The other photo shows the final product, including the reinforcement piece I had welded into position to replace any support that the coil perch provided. Don't really know if that was necessary, but thought it couldn't hurt.

Ok, no photos. I thought I had this figured out, sooooo. back to school.
I'll try to add the 2 photos after I do my homework.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Attached photo files

Ok, I think I managed to stumble through this.
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2006, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD Excalibur, '94-'95 5.0 EFI, Edelbrock heads, E303 cam, 1.7RR, Cobra intake, 24lb injectors, 93 cobra ECU, 65mm TB, hi flow cats.
Not Ranked     
Default Results

TWOOD,
Very nice installation. How do you compare the ride quality and handling before and after?
Is this the set up sold by CRII?

Thanks, especially for the excellent photos,
Mike
Old 05-19-2006, 04:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, for the compliment,Mike. The first pictures I've posted. Self taught, trial and error, somewhat painfull way to learn.
I hoped that someone might have found those pictures useful if they were considering the coil over shocks and removing the coil perches.

I'm very early into the build and a year or so from completion, so I haven't a clue about the ride.
You might ask Art Burtt. He has been very helpful to me and has had his car on the road long enough to provide an opinion.
I chose it for the adjustability.
Nice hearing from you. Tom
Old 05-19-2006, 04:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

P.S. Mike, I forgot to answer your one question. Yes, these are the shocks and springs supplied by Classic Roadsters II. Made by Pro-Shock. Rears are 250# and fronts are 375#.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD Excalibur, '94-'95 5.0 EFI, Edelbrock heads, E303 cam, 1.7RR, Cobra intake, 24lb injectors, 93 cobra ECU, 65mm TB, hi flow cats.
Not Ranked     
Default Coil Overs

Thanks TWOOD,
My Excalibur (CR knock off) has the Carerra coil overs in the front and they ride great. The back is very similar if not identical to the CR standard rear suspension except I think the shocks might be different. It rides hard back there, will axle hop a little in first and second and seems to have some lateral location slop in moderate to heavy cornering.
These are problems known in the mustang derived four link system. I think I read a post that said that the upper control arms are Ford parts, but it did not list any part numbers or application. If I could get that info, I might be able to fit some adjustable after market upper arms and fix the wheel hop with a little pinion angle adjustment. I think some better shocks will also help the ride and wheel hop as well. If I need better shocks or even different springs to get the ride better, the idea of coil overs is tempting and I get ride height adjustment as well.
The lateral slop I'm not sure how to cure other than urethane bushings with ear plugs and the accompanying buck board ride requiring a mouth guard. Not going there. I'd like to do a pannard bar, but have no info on doing this with the 8.8 in the CR chassis.
If anybody has any ideas how to upgrade the CR/Excalibur rear suspension to perform better with less harshness, let'er rip! If the FFR three link would bolt in without major surgery, I'd consider that.

Thanks,
Mike